Author Topic: WaW85 - Defense of Frankfurt  (Read 601 times)

Barthheart

• Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
on: January 25, 2020, 08:18:29 AM
Scenario 1 - Breakthrough to Frankfurt
Elements of the Soviet 79th Guards Tank Division are attempting to exploit a gap between the West German and American forces south of Giessen.
They need to push hard and fast to capture at least one of two bridges vital for the push to Frankfurt before more West German and US forces try to close the breach.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:28:00 AM by Barthheart »

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:38:22 AM
Guarding the approach are elements of the West German 1/3/50th Territorials, dug in to some high ground around vital bridges. Some bridges in the area have already been blown to try an funnel the Soviet onslaught.

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:46:56 AM
The only other NATO troops in the area are 1st and 3rd Companies of the West German 51st Panzergrenadier Battalion and the 3rd Co. of the 54th Panzergrenadier Battalion. They are current stationed near the important bridge crossings.
They are caught flat footed by the speed of the Soviet push. (Can't activate on turn 1)

(EDIT - Fixed this map's setup counters based on clarification.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:59:44 PM by Barthheart »

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 08:57:05 AM
First contact! (Soviets get a free activation before turns start.)
1st Batt. of the 45th Guards Tank Regt. come streaming into sight of the WG Territorials. Their only armour, a platoon of aging M-48A5 Pattons, has some success in disrupting a single platoon of T-80s. Soviet return fire is ineffectual. But they now have position to overwhelm the defenders with concentrated fire.

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:31:59 AM
Love the look of those maps. I think I need to buy a piece of plexiglass for the game table though.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:46:59 AM
Yeah, I have several sheets of different sizes but no combo works to cover this map. It’s 39”x53”.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 10:11:16 AM
Love the look of those maps. I think I need to buy a piece of plexiglass for the game table though.

The maps (and counters) are a vast improvement over the originals.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:52:50 PM
Cracking  :bigthumb:

Nice looking game (as was the original) and as bob says - better looking components.

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 03:12:47 PM
End of turn 1.
This turn saw everything. Both side got all their activations. The Russians received an Electronic Warfare option against the Territorial's HQ causing havoc with their CandC. There was an event that restricted the Soviets from using move and fire... not that it hampered them at all.
Wrecks mark the locations of the deaths of the M-48 platoon and a platoon of Jagdpanzer 4-5 tank destroyers, who happen to have the HQ focus resulting in the HQ staff taking casualties and going off-line for a bit. (Supressed HQs get removed until the end of the turn. Luckily for the W. Germans, this happened on the last activation for the turn.)

Volley shots from massed T-80s are deadly, especially under the direct control of their HQ!

The West Germans fired like mad but only managed to disrupt one T-80 platoon with a Milan shot, only to see it rally pretty quickly.

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 05:15:13 PM
End of turn 2.
Shorter turn that saw the WG Territorials activate twice and their Jeep mounted recoilless rifle platoon reduce a platoon of T-80s to smoldering wrecks! The Milan however is struggling to get through the composite armour packs on the Soviet tanks. Thankfully the EW interference ends with this turn.

The Soviets first get more EW action and scramble the comms for the 3/51st PzGndr Co. Then they get two activation of the 1/4th GTR and stream forward to make room for follow on formations.

However the turn ends before the 2nd/45th GTR can make an appearance. The 3/54th PzGren Co. also stalls out this turn. (Therefore both End Ops cards will be held back until these two formations have activated in Turn 3)

1st pic is the advance of the 1/45th GTR. Forward recon units pushing out far ahead.
2nd pic is the WG 1st/51st and 3/51st PzGren trying to make it forward to get to blocking terrain before the Russians can make it.

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 10:00:09 AM
End of turn 3.
Turn opened with the arrival of a flight of WG Alpha Jets. Bu they were forced to break off and come around again do to SAM fire from a Tunguska platoon.

All WG units received two activations and the 2/51st PzGren Co. entered the area from the north. A Juguar-2 platoon from the 1/51st PzGren Co. scored an ATGM kill on the BRDM-2 scouts of 1/45th GTR.

The 1/3 50th Territorials suffered heavily under the relentless fire of the massed T-80 of 1/45th GTR. Their remaining infantry platoon can been seen in the first picture in their improved positions on the edge of the hill.
Have they delayed the Russians enough? Hard to tell....

The 1/45th GTR received 2 activations and made good time in advancing, and mauling the WG Territorials.
The 2/45th GTR and 4/45th GTR finally enter the area and set off on their designated routes.

1st pic shows the 3 Batt. for the 45th GTR in the combat area so far.
2nd pic shows the 1/51st PzGren Co. and 3/51st PzGren. Co., upper right, setting up defensive position in a small town while 3/54th PzGren Co., lower left, races to gain the high ground.
3rd pic show 2/51st PzGren Co. hurrying to gain firing positions.

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 03:39:25 PM
End of turn 4.
Another short turn.

The WG Alpha jet made another pas but was taken down be a SAM shot.
The WG Territorials continue to hang on and finally managed to disrupt a T-80 platoon with a Milan-2 shot.
The 3/54th PzGren Co. managed to gain a ridge line with good field of view of the Soviet line of advance.

The entire 45th GTR activated and continued their advance. Other than bringing down the Alpha Jet, other shots missed their targets.
The Russians were up to their electronic warfare hijinks again, this time interfering with the comms of 1/51st PzGren.

1st pic shows the entire 45th GTR in the combat zone.
2nd pic shows the 3/54th PzGren Co., 3 platoons of Leopard-1s waiting on a ridge line.

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 03:31:57 AM
That's a lot of Russian units. Any reinforcements for the WGs?

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 08:57:43 AM
Yes, I'm worried about the number of Soviets too!

There is another company of Leopard-1s coming this turn, and then next few turns will see a few companies for US troops, infantry and M-1s, streaming on to help... and maybe an A-10 or two!

But the Russians have 3 full battalions of T-80s and those are very scary.....  :worried:

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 08:59:45 AM
That's when a tactical nuke gets thrown and the world ends.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes