Author Topic: IN THE AIR TONIGHT: A Nighfighter Ace AAR  (Read 9306 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 07:52:58 PM
Yes

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 07:56:00 PM
Thanks.

Found an account on Imgur I never use, so I tried that. Looks like I'll be migrating this to Imgur.

Meanwhile, are images showing/not showing consistently? I might go through and replace them all but that's going to take some time. :(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:40:54 PM by BanzaiCat »

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 08:22:14 PM
I use imgur for all my image hosting now. Decent UI, reliable.

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 08:37:39 PM
Hey B_C...
Don't be surprised that Adler & crew found it hard to knock down that Wellington. It was designed by Barnes Wallace (of 'bouncing bombs' v. German dams fame) with a geodesic fuselage frame that made it much stronger than most of its Bomber Command stablemates.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 07:18:14 AM
Yup

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #65 on: September 26, 2019, 09:21:57 AM
Yeah, I messed up that Pilot Log...circled the Wellington when it was the Stirling we took down.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #66 on: September 26, 2019, 09:25:50 AM
You flyboys....always exaggerating your kills

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 10:03:55 AM
Strange, regardless.

OK I'll go back through and update the images. I keep them all in a 'Used' folder so they're separate from the ones that haven't been posted yet. Shouldn't be too much trouble but will still take a bit of time - I'll replace all of them just to be safe.

Thanks, Google Photos, you jerks. Though Imgur will be better because the URL line for each Google photo was way too long.

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 10:33:44 AM
Until Imgur starts charging.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 10:57:35 AM

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 11:08:57 AM
Sorry for the delays...I've secured a few side writing gigs for pay, so that work trumps free stuff at the moment. :)

SORTIE 8

Our eighth Sortie is opposing a raid on Hannover, in the Bremen area. The weather is Poor, and we fortunately have no electronic failures upon takeoff. Our ground controllers are on the ball, resisting RAF attempts to confuse our night fighters, and we are on the right track for interception.

This Sortie, there is no Moon effect, so there’s no plus nor minus modifier in this regard. We do get our nice shiny +1 modifier due to our Lichtenstein C-1 radar suite on board, which means we’ll get an Interception result on an 8, 9, or 10, on 1d10.

Our rolls are pretty terrible – 3, 6, and 4. In the very last Endurance box, though, we manage an 8, and with that +1 we get the Interception we’re looking for. We come upon a Halifax H2S, so Adler and crew decide on their ‘standard’ approach – Medium range, aiming for the Starboard Wing.

My Combat Card draw is this:

We score 5 hits on the Halifax! Even better, we were not spotted, so we have a chance (albeit slight) at shooting it down before it retaliates. Since we might not shoot it down, I still must draw a Combat Card for the bomber, to see how many hits he’d get on our night fighter, in case he DOES get to retaliate:

Ouch! Three hits is quite a bit – we’re hoping for the best.

Adler’s cannon fire lashes out at the RAF bomber…

3 = Wing
8 = Outboard Starboard Engine
9 = Outboard Starboard Engine
7 = Inboard Starboard Engine
6 = Inboard Starboard Engine

Pretty impressive that Adler’s Do-217 managed to chew up the Starboard Wing so badly that both engines were taken out. Lit up like epileptic firecrackers, the engines shake and shudder under the impact of our shells, belching fire and smoke, causing the bomber to immediately yaw to the right.

The pilots, realizing what’s just happened, managed to gain control just as the bomber’s gunners wake up and begin lashing back out at us…

65 = Airframe
62 = Schrage Musik
32 = Minor Damage

The bomber’s fire proves to be erratic, striking our Do-217 but doing little other than cosmetic damage. The one Airframe hit isn’t good, but it’s not going to send us to Valhalla.

We can press our attack.

We move in to Close Range, which will give us +1 hit, but the bomber begins corkscrewing, which means =1 hit. We’re once again at the mercy of the card draw to see how we do…

DE! Defender Eliminated! That’s our fourth kill. One more and Adler is an Ace!

Despite the Poor weather and its +1 landing roll modifier, we return to base safely, knowing we were once again lucky.

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #71 on: October 09, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
Just a quick update - I'll get the older images replaced/uploaded just as soon as I have some free time to do so, hopefully in the next few days.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #72 on: October 09, 2019, 09:57:59 AM
Excellent stuff - keep it coming, BC  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #73 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:27 AM
 :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #74 on: October 09, 2019, 10:53:37 PM
Congrats on the kill BC. Keep it up and maybe you'll get to go clubbing with Fat Herman.  :hehe:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming