Author Topic: IN THE AIR TONIGHT: A Nighfighter Ace AAR  (Read 1739 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
Reply #105 on: October 12, 2019, 05:56:20 PM
um.......people you don't like?

mirth already said that  O:-)

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #106 on: October 12, 2019, 05:57:57 PM
Where, when............why?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'Gentlemen of the French Guard, Fire!'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #107 on: October 13, 2019, 06:27:23 AM
Question; What is the best way to take screen shots of a Vassal game?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #108 on: October 13, 2019, 06:43:42 AM

According to the user guide, there's a built-in screen capture tool.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #109 on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:10 AM
Maybe it depends on the module and if or not the creator included it? I shall investigate further.

Staggerwing

• Jr Lancer
Reply #110 on: October 13, 2019, 08:07:42 AM

Are you on Windows or Mac? Windows has some built in stuff nowadays:

On Windows 10 and Windows 8, you can just press Windows+PrtScn on your keyboard to instantly save a full-screen screenshot in PNG form to your Pictures folder.

You can also press the PrtScn key on any version of Windows to save a copy of your screen (or Alt+PrtScn for just the active window) to your clipboard. You can then paste it into any application. And, on Windows 10, you can even press Windows+Shift+S to capture a region of your screen and copy it to your clipboard.

RELATED: How to Take Screenshots in Windows 10

If you want something a little more powerful, you can launch the Snipping Tool included with Windows 7, 8, and 10. It can you take screenshots of your full screen, a single window, or an area of your screen. You can set a delay of up to five seconds if you need time to set up a screenshot after clicking the button.

Other screenshot utilities are more packed with features, but Windows includes surprisingly capable tools you can use on any computer, without installing anything extra.

It’s also worth mentioning that many of the online storage tools feature their own screenshot key combinations. For example, if you have the feature turned on in OneDrive (OneDrive Settings > Auto Save > Screenshots), pressing the PrtScn key captures the full screen (Alt+PrtScn for the active window) and saves it as a PNG file to the Pictures folder in OneDrive. The same holds true for Dropbox (Dropbox Preferences > Import > Screenshots).

MAC:
https://www.howtogeek.com/278615/the-best-screenshot-apps-for-macos/

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
Reply #111 on: October 13, 2019, 08:57:42 AM
MAC:

⌘-Shift-3 = the entire screen to a PNG file
⌘-Shift-4 = a selection of the screen to a PNG file
⌘-Shift-CTRL-4 = a selection of the screen to the clipboard

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #112 on: October 13, 2019, 09:00:56 AM

According to the user guide, there's a built-in screen capture tool.

There is a built in capture tool. I believe you can disable it when you build the module. It is very easy to add it back.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Staggerwing

• Jr Lancer
Reply #113 on: October 13, 2019, 09:33:54 AM
MAC:

⌘-Shift-3 = the entire screen to a PNG file
⌘-Shift-4 = a selection of the screen to a PNG file
⌘-Shift-CTRL-4 = a selection of the screen to the clipboard

there's also (aka 'command') +Shift+4, then Spacebar, to give you a camera icon that lets you pick a particular window and grab that. Useful when the window you want is partially obscured by others. It opens the image in a small thumbnail that you can right-click on to send to Preview or save to desktop, PDF, etc.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #114 on: October 13, 2019, 09:37:37 AM
You can also just take a picture of the screen with your phone.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Staggerwing

• Jr Lancer
Reply #115 on: October 13, 2019, 09:46:18 AM

Unless you're Barth...

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #116 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:28 AM

Or play a proper, actual board game?  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #117 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
...well, thank you chaps......I'm very glad I asked.....................

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #118 on: October 14, 2019, 11:23:42 AM
SORTIE 10

After our Light Wound recuperations, the crew of this Do-217 are back at it again, and Adler no doubt is getting crap for having broken up TWO aircraft now on landing, even though the last one really wasn’t his fault.

The next raid we scramble to intercept is Bochum in the Ruhr region, again. The weather is Good and the electronics are holding up. The RAF once again fails to spoof our crew, so we are on track to intercept some British bombers and are helped a bit by the bright Moon (+1 to Intercept rolls).

We get through a fair distance before we find a British bomber (rolled, with the +2 modifier - +1 for the Moon and +1 for our Radar, a 5, 6, then 10). We find a Stirling, and the hunt is on!

We’re doing the standard Adler approach – Medium Range, Starboard Wing. Our Combat Card is:

We get five hits – very good – but we’re also spotted by the bomber, which not only fires first and applies its damage, it also starts corkscrewing, so we’re going to lose one of our hits! Here’s the Bomber’s Combat Card draw:

Three hits. Adler and crew are surprised momentarily by the winking flashes of the Stirling’s tail guns, and they feel the meaty thuds as their shells hit home on or Dornier. The damage rolls are:

56 = Rear Guns
45 = Starboard Wing
23 = Starboard Engine

A loud schrannng and spark and our rear guns are useless now…which is a mixed blessing I suppose as we’ve not yet had to fire them in anger. The two hits on the Starboard side, to the Wing and Engine, are troubling but not going to stop us any time soon.

Now we get our revenge, rolling our four hits:

6 = Engine (in)
10 = Fuel Tanks
3 = Wing
5 = Controls

A very spread-out amount of damage done to the Stirling…nothing that makes Adler terribly confident about pressing home his attack, and yet I feel like they must do so. The Do-217 closes to Close Range; the bomber will continue to corkscrew causing =1 hit, but Close Range, as you know, mitigates that with +1 hit. So, we’re even now…

The GP result is not the greatest but maybe we’ll get lucky. Now, to see how the bomber retaliates…

Three hits – AGAIN.

I’ll apply our damage, first…the GP means one hit each to their Controls and Starboard Wing, plus another hit to the inboard Starboard Engine and one hit to the outboard Starboard Engine. The inboard Starboard Engine is now destroyed. There’s also one hit to the Controls.

There’s still one random hit to roll for, and I get a 10 – which is a Fuel Tank hit. The Stirling is destroyed! Chalk up another kill.

I’m wondering if we should continue – the damage isn’t so bad that we have to abort, but the idea of landing with an engine out is disturbing. The Funker, Mirth, says sarcastically that Adler managed to crack up two planes on landing already, so what’s a third? And there’s a certain amount of logic to that statement. We will proceed, moving the Do-217 to the next Endurance Box.

And we find another British bomber in the night (rolled an 8, +2 = 10), a Wellington. We’re coming at it in our usual style.

A GP result, which is hard to get excited about. But, it’s a start. It’s especially better that we are not spotted.

Now for the bomber’s defensive fire…

Three hits, which seems to be their usual! At least we get to apply our damage first.

The GP hit is the same as the one we made earlier; the random hit from the GP turns out to be another Controls hit. The Wellington has taken some damage, but isn’t quite out of the fight yet. Now it’s time to see what they do to us…

12 = Port Wing
52 = Airframe
31 = Starboard Engine

Another spread-out result…but this makes us weaker all the way around. Our Starboard Engine is now out!

The engine being out/damaged reduces our Speed by 3. As the Do-217 has a Speed of 16, it was reduced earlier (which I failed to mention) to 13. The Wellington, though, only has a Speed of 12, so we’re able to intercept it (albeit barely!).

The real question now is, do we press home the attack?

Of course we do! What’s one little burned-out engine?

Another GP result means one of the hits is against the Controls, which shoots the bomber down. Out of control, the Wellington begins a slow corkscrew-like glide to the ground below…another kill!

We are, however, in a sad state. Our speed is greatly reduced, which in game means we would only be able to intercept a Wellington or a Stirling; the other bombers would be too fast for us.

But would this stop me now?

How's this for your answer?

Heck no! Adler can taste the blood of his victories and he’s a madman, so he’s continuing the patrol!

In the next Endurance Box, we find another British bomber…it’s a Wellington! We can keep up with it and overtake it, so we can engage it. Why not? We’re not out here to tour the countryside.

Just to be even bolder, we’re going in at Close Range for that +1 hit!

Five hits, upped to six total…and we’re not spotted! But we still must draw a Combat Card for the bomber’s defensive fire just in case he is not shot down.

Only two hits…well, one well-placed one and we’ll be done for.

Let’s see how my rolls for hits go…

4 = Airframe
1 = Starboard Wing
1 = Starboard Wing
10 = Fuel Tanks
3 = Starboard Wing
6 = Starboard Engine

Fire lashing out from our forward guns, the Wellington shudders under the impact; Adler’s aim is spot on, walking the hits, and with a flash, the Wellington’s wing comes clean off. A third kill for this Sortie!

Flushed with success, Adler is not going to press his luck; he instead nudges the wounded nightfighter back to their Dutch base.

Our Landing is decent enough (rolled an 8, minus 1 for Adler’s Landing skill, plus 1 for an engine out – need a 9 or less to land safely). With nine total kills, we’re no doubt starting to be noticed by the Luftwaffe’s leadership.

We'll also have to deal with our damaged Do-217 too, but that'll be next time.

Sir Slash

• Jr Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #119 on: October 14, 2019, 07:55:05 PM
WOW!  :bitenails:  Ballsy call to continue the mission with one engine out. Guess that's why I fly a lounge chair.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming