Author Topic: Origins 2019: June 12-16  (Read 3361 times)

rickbill

• Fresh Recruit
  • happy to be here, proud to serve, er ... wargame
    • VWC
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:06 PM
sorry I missed the last planning "phone call" … arriving a little earlier than normal (Tuesday afternoon) due to logistics considerations.  Departing Saturday night NLT about 9pm.  Will be looking to play events hosted by Larry Bond and Mark Walker … beyond that I think everything else is negotiable … I love volunteer GMing with the ADs … but still this is a primarily a gameplaying CON for me.

would love to host a double-blind WW2 naval (eg Battle of Santa Cruz) using SWWAS (hopefully AP will actually release their update to SOPAC (South Pacific) this year.)

happy to be here (there), proud to serve

wargaming with less than stellar results for 40+ years

acarteas

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 12:48:57 PM
Hey, all!  I'm headed to Origins this year and was wondering what sort of wargaming events will be run or how I might find people to play games with.  I'm interested in playing and learning anything, but wouldn't mind getting games of LnLT, COIN, or Triumph and Tragedy in.  How can I find other wargamers?  Would people recommend getting the board room pass or is that mainly targeted at the Euro crowd?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:50:59 PM by acarteas »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #47 on: April 08, 2019, 01:41:10 PM
Hey, all!  I'm headed to Origins this year and was wondering what sort of wargaming events will be run or how I might find people to play games with.  I'm interested in playing and learning anything, but wouldn't mind getting games of LnLT, COIN, or Triumph and Tragedy in.  How can I find other wargamers?  Would people recommend getting the board room pass or is that mainly targeted at the Euro crowd?

We've got a few errors with getting our events loaded on the Origins events grid right now, and I'm trying to sort it out, but once the event grid is open, there's an ability to search on "Armchair Dragoons presents..." and find our events that way.

There are other wargame events, but sometimes you have to search by game title

As far as open gaming goes, we have some in our area, and there's a cadre of wargamers that'll set up in the Board Room, but there's also (usually) a thread or geek list on BGG (usually run by Bob Fix and yes that's his real name) that let's people post what they're bringing and what they're hoping to find a game of

We're planning on LNLT, A Distant Plain, and others at our area.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:27 PM
What's an "Origins?" Is that like a front page?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:08 PM
What's an "Origins?" Is that like a front page?

If you ever made it to either one, you'd know

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
I think I get to the front page more often than most of the jamooks here :)

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:16 PM
I think I get to the front page more often than most of the jamooks here :)

Someone has to click on your articles

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #52 on: April 08, 2019, 06:01:12 PM
I'm not sure I want to click on his articles.

And now for something completely different!

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #53 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:49 PM

Smart

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Staggerwing

• Jr Lancer
Reply #54 on: April 08, 2019, 06:53:46 PM

Smart

I've heard that his demonstratives and possessive determiners are a bit dodgy as well.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #55 on: April 08, 2019, 09:35:07 PM
I'm just a hack, boys. Don't even bother.

acarteas

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #56 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:42 PM
Thanks, Brant for the info.  I found the geeklist and it does look like a lot of gaming is going to happen in the board room, so I guess I'll pick that up as well.  I went to Origins in 2016 as a booth monkey, but I was able to spend some evening participating in the grogheads events.  I'm definitely looking forward to being able to explore games that are hard for me to get to the table. 

I'm bringing my (much) younger brother this year and he's really into 40k.  I saw a few 40k events on the schedule, but not much else.  Does anyone know how much GW / 40k presence there is at Origins?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 06:30:16 AM
I'm bringing my (much) younger brother this year and he's really into 40k.  I saw a few 40k events on the schedule, but not much else.  Does anyone know how much GW / 40k presence there is at Origins?

There's not a ton, honestly.  There's no official GW presence as a vendor, so the exhibit hall sales are limited to third-party vendors who are more interested in just moving product than sponsoring organized play or anything similar.

There's some groups that'll set up in the minis area, but that's probably what you already found on the event grid.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 12:53:54 PM
I've spoken with Paul (events manager) several times over the past 2 weeks, and he's got our events and everything looks fine, but he's waiting for a couple of other updates to come in and load the all at once into an updated event grid, rather than piecemeal the updates.  I'll post the full event list once I get it confirmed that we're in there

rickbill

• Fresh Recruit
  • happy to be here, proud to serve, er ... wargame
    • VWC
Reply #59 on: April 20, 2019, 01:03:23 PM
So I guess my "where are all the 'Armchair Dragoons Presents..." events (looking at the spreadsheet now available at http://originsgamefair.com/events/) ...

I usually try to plan my week from this so I have a plan of attack when the game event registration opens up.  Which I guess  for this year is next Saturday (I didn't see a time)

Not quite as critical as GENCON ... but popular events fill up fast (1st hour or so of online registration being made avallable in some cases)

So, I am looking forward to your post of the ADP events before then if able.  Thanks.

wargaming with less than stellar results for 40+ years