Author Topic: Artillery!!!  (Read 3273 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 12:02:21 PM
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32352/photos-surface-of-the-armys-crazy-1000-mile-range-supergun-concept-heres-what-we-know

I didn't see this post, because on that day I was on my way to attend a meeting chaired by MG George (head of CCDC, and the person featured in the article).

Funding for SLRC is part of my portfolio.  When it was at Dahlgren (about 40 miles away), I had hoped to get down to see it, but could never get down there.  I believe that it's now on its way to Yuma, or it may already be there.  I'm hoping to get out to see a test shot sometime this year.

Very cool, man.  :bigthumb:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

besilarius

• Jr Lancer
Reply #46 on: March 07, 2020, 03:39:37 PM
At one point in Vietnam, the navy looked at building a new monitor based on the British monitor s, Erebus and Terror.
The need for a heavy gunfire support platform was recognized.  An Iowa BB was thought to be Overkill, would have huge manpower needs, and be too costly.
Another option was a helicopter transportable gun like the railguns of WWI.  These would be moved to a firebase after a sturdy base was constructed/poured for each piece.
For various reasons, a BB was tried.  At. Least one admiral held out for a monitor using a spare turret for Nevada class with two 12 or 14 inch guns.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #47 on: June 10, 2020, 04:41:11 PM

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #48 on: June 10, 2020, 08:24:24 PM

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #49 on: June 10, 2020, 11:01:14 PM
I didn't see them actually kill the oil well with the gun. But... if it's the Russians, it must be true, right?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Jr Lancer
Reply #50 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:16 AM
Hey, the US Air Force back in the 30s bombed a lava flow in Hawaii.  When the eruption stopped three days later, they claimed the bombing stopped Kilawai.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #51 on: June 18, 2020, 04:11:47 PM
https://news.yahoo.com/why-u-armys-precision-strike-152600146.html

Interesting that they never mention the Pershing missiles as precision guided options that predate the ones in the article by over a decade

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.