Author Topic: Combat! A Meeting of Patrols - The Hedgerows Map  (Read 1371 times)

Barthheart

• Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 02:14:01 PM
And yet lots play it....  :idiot2:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #46 on: February 10, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
The concept was excellent, but the 2 different scale maps was awkward, and basically, the rules were a mess.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'Gentlemen of the French Guard, Fire!'

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #47 on: February 10, 2020, 02:15:15 PM
And yet lots play it....  :idiot2:

It may be that the rules have been cleaned up a lot - I think there have been several revisions since my original version.

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #48 on: February 10, 2020, 02:23:37 PM
BC, CONSIM Market Place, seller has Comabt! for $105 + shipping right now!

Nope. $120 is $120 more than I have right now. I do not want to use my CCs and need to pay 'em down. The only game I have on order technically right now is Mr. President from GMT, and that's probably not going to drop until around election time. Maybe next year or thereafter...

He does a good service, but obviously he needs to make a living, so I have no idea how much mark-up he puts on.

Oh it makes perfect sense. I see it as supporting the hobby. It just stinks that shipping is so expensive.

I have memories of buying 'World in Flames' off him at a waregames show in Edinburgh - a very long time ago!

What an awful game that turned out to be!

Hahahaha...I had such high hopes for it and it was terribly complex. I still played it because it was a significant investment for me back in the day...I think my grandfather helped me buy it, actually. Never got into the plethora of expansions though as it just did not appeal to me that much.

When that game went to Matrix I was at the time tasked with doing a manual...what a nightmare that was. One of the reasons I ended up not working for them freelance any longer. I hate to say it but it's good to see that that game never really did well...makes me realize I wasn't wrong in stepping away.

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #49 on: February 10, 2020, 03:23:26 PM
... obviously he needs to make a living, so I have no idea how much mark-up he puts on.

...has a decent size shop near Liverpool
You know what he doesn't spend the money on? His shop :-)

As for the cost of the game, you all may remember me in two minds about it. No doubt it's expensive,  but I'm so glad I paid for it. It is a blinding game. It's  got some flaws for sure especially the rules, but it's right up my alley. I'll  be playing this for a long time to come
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:28:16 PM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #50 on: February 10, 2020, 03:25:52 PM
I assumed, from the pictures I've seen on his FB page, that its quite well appointed?

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #51 on: February 10, 2020, 03:30:14 PM

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #52 on: February 10, 2020, 03:32:15 PM
Looks like the background for a Dexy's Midnight Runners video!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #53 on: February 10, 2020, 03:33:45 PM
It certainly looks a bit run-down. However, the pictures from the inside of the shop paint a different story.

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #54 on: February 10, 2020, 03:36:35 PM
Yeah, I just looked inside and it's a veritable allaying cave

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #55 on: February 10, 2020, 03:39:22 PM
I believe Andy is more-or-less semi-retired now and I think it may be his son that runs the shop.

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #56 on: February 15, 2020, 02:41:20 PM
Turn 4 - Setup
The Allied player has a selection of cards to play. He chooses Make Each Shot Count because it's got half decent Initiative values for Baker and Charlie squads

Allied Order Assignment
Baker Squad
Pvt Donahue in hex 20.08 is given an Aimed Fire order - to try and neutralise any enemy activity around the field

Pvt Johnson is given an Evade order. He's going to go into hiding and try and rally - get his shit together.

Pvt Peters is given a Grenade order to try and take out the officer Obfr Sauer who's dug into some rocks

Charlie Squad
Pvt Temple is given an Aimed Fire order - to prevent any movement south

Cpl Thomas and Pvt Stubbs are locked in Melee - a fight for their lives...

German Order Assignment
Blue Team
Soldat Pohl is in Cover and has Normal morale, so he gets an Aimed Fire order. The order card has the G designation, but there are no Allied troops within 4 hexes

As this card is the first card for the Blue Team, it's used as Initiative with a value of 47 - putting Blue Team after Baker and Charlie squads - that's good news.

Soldat Hahn is in Cover and has Cautious morale, so he gets an Aimed Fire order. Again the G designation for Grenade doesn't matter as there are no Allied troops within 4 hexes (ignore the highlighted NORMAL entry - mistake)

Obfr Sauer is in Cover and has Normal morale, so he gets an Aimed Fire order. He has the Grenade designation too and Pvt Peters is within 3 hexes. A TQ of 5 or less means he'll change his order to Grenade. He rolls a 7 and fails.

Soldat Abbas is in Cover and has Bold morale. He gets a Slow Suppression order. Again the G is ignored because there are no Allied troops within 4 hexes.

Soldat Horn is locked in Melee

Red Team
The soldier in 28.12 is in Cover with Normal morale and is given a Hide order again. I don't think he's had anything but a Hide order since turn 2.

As this is the first card for the Red Team the card is used for their Initiative. It's a value of 1 which means they will got first.

The soldier in 28.13 is in the open with Normal morale and is given a Sneak 5/6 order.

The German reinforcements arrive and are placed on the board. They each have 1D6 roll to determine their initial orders - after this turn, they will take their orders from the cards. Rather oddly, I pull all Blue Team soldiers.

This is the situation at the beginning of Turn 4 (sorry about the image - the light was fading and I hadn't got my super dooper light down!)

Initiative is Red Team with 1, Baker Squad with 34, Charlie Squad with 44 and Blue Team with 47.

The first and third impulses are going to be quite quiet as there's a few Aimed Fire orders.

Things to watch out for...
Melee in 30.13
Pvt Peters and his Grenade order - he might get hit and drop it, causing him damage!
Pvt Temple has a German soldier bearing down on him - and the Red Team has initiative before Blue Squad

It's going to get lively.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:45:35 PM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #57 on: February 15, 2020, 03:00:33 PM
Turn 4 - Impulse 1

Red Team
The German soldier in 28.12 is hiding and can do nothing for the turn

The German soldier in 28.13 has a Sneak 5/6 order and so doesn't move this impulse

Baker Squad
Pvt Donahue has an Aimed Fire order and can do nothing but this impulse

Pvt Johnson has an Evade order and tries to skoot into cover moving to 20.11

Pvt Peters has a Grenade order - he gets the Grenade chit - it's now live

Charlie Squad
Pvt Temple has an Aimed Fire order and can do nothing but spot.
He attempts to spot the German soldier in 28.12. A distance of 3 is a +1 modifier. The German is hiding in rocks which is a -5 modifier. With a TQ of 5-5+1, he needs to roll a 1 or less. A roll of 6 means he cannot spot the German.
He also attempts to spot the German in 28.13. A distance of 2 is a +1 modifier. The German is in the Open with a Sneak order meaning a -1 modifier. With a TQ of 5+1-1, he needs to roll 5 or less. A roll of 6 means he can't quite make out what's there.

Cpl Thomas and Pvt Stubbs are lcoked in Melee and nothing happens on Impulse 1 on Melee.

Blue Team
Soldat Pohl, Soldat Hahn and Obfr Sauer have Aimed Fire orders and so can do nothing this impulse

Soldat Abbas has a Slow Suppression order and can do nothing this impulse

Soldat Horn is locked in Melee and can do nothing on Impulse 1

Over at the reinforcements
The soldier in 35.08 has an Evade 5 order and moves into 35.09

The soldier in 35.07 has a Sneak 6 order can do nothing this impulse

The soldier in 35.06 has an Evade 5/6 order and moves into 35.07

The soldier in 35.05 has an Evade 5 order and moves into 35.06

This is the situation at the end of Turn 4 Impulse 1

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #58 on: February 15, 2020, 03:54:43 PM
Turn 4 - Impulse 2

Red Team
The German soldier in 28.12 is hiding and can do nothing for the turn

The German soldier in 28.13 has a Sneak 5/6 order and moves to 28.14

Baker Squad
Pvt Donahue has an Aimed Fire order and fires at Soldat Pohl
a distance of 6 is a 0 modifier. Soldat Pohl is in Hedges with an Aimed Fire order. That's a -1 modifier. With a WS of 7-1 means a 6 or less is a hit. A roll of 5 is a hit
It's a Light Wound. For the Wounded Morale Check (WMC) a 0 is needed for no morale change. <= his modified TQ is -1 morale step and > his modified TQ is -2 morale steps. The roll is 3. His Morale is sitting at TQ 4 -1 for Light Wound means his roll is equal to his morale - so he loses 1 step of morale and is now Cautious He also loses his current order and Ducks Back

Pvt Johnson moves to 19.11

Pvt Peters moves to 25.12.

Charlie Squad
Pvt Temple has an Aimed Fire order and opens fire on Obfr Sauer. A hit is needed to make him Duck Back - otherwise Pvt Peters could be in trouble.
a distance of 5 is a 0 modifier. Aimed Fire in rocks is -2. With a WS of 5-2 he needs to roll a 3 or less. He rolls a 4 and misses.
He attempts to spot the German soldier in 28.12.
a distance of 3 is a +1 modifier. The German is hiding in rocks which is a -5 modifier. With a TQ of 5-5+1, he needs to roll a 1 or less. A roll of 1 means he's eventually spotted the little bastard. Soldat Kraus

He also attempts to spot the German in 28.14.
a distance of 1 is a +2 modifier. The German is in the Open with a Sneak order meaning a -1 modifier. With a TQ of 5+2-1, he needs to roll 6 or less. A roll of 1 means he spotted Soldat Graf.

the Allies have been pretty unlucky in this scenario. I haven't ever had this many German soldiers to deal with in my other play throughs...there's alot. I've only discovered 3 Dummy counters. I hope some of those Blue Team reinforcements are dummies!

Cpl Thomas attacks Soldat Horn.a TQ of 7-1 for Cautious morale means he needs to roll a 6 or less. He rolls a 9 and fails
Pvt Stubbs attacks Soldat Horn in Melee
A TQ of 6 means a 6 or less is required. A roll of 4 is a hit.
Soldat Horn pulls a Light Wound

Again with a WMC, a 0 is required. He has a modified TQ of 4-1-1-2=0. He rolls a 5 which is greater than his modified TQ and so takes 2 morale hits - routing him.

As he is the only German soldier in the hex and he's routed, he is now a prisoner. This is good because it's more VPs. However, it means one soldier has to guard him and so become combat inefficient.
The Rout marker is replaced with Shaken. One soldier is given a Guard order (Pvt Stubbs) and will no longer fight.
I have removed the Melee order here - but I don't think I was meant to

Blue Team
Soldat Pohl goes into hiding

Soldat Hahn opens fire on Pvt Donahue

a distance of 6 means a 0 modifier. Aimed Fire in the hedgerow gives a -1 modifier. With a WS of 3-1 for being cautious and -1 for the target hex, he needs to roll a 1 or less. He rolls a 4 and misses.

Obfr Sauer opens fire on Pvt Peters - he has a sub machine gun so takes 3 attempts at him.

a distance of 3 is a +1 modifier. A Grenade order in the hedgerow is a -1 modifier. With a WS of 5+1-1 he needs to roll a 5 or less. His first attempt is a 7 and he misses. His second attempt is a 3 and a hit.
The injury card pulled is a Morale Check

The Morale Check roll is on a modified TQ of 5-3 for Bad Wound-1 for Cautious...he needs a 1 or less. A roll of 6 means he's failed his morale check and goes from Cautious to Shaken.

his 3 attempt at hitting Pvt Peters is a roll of 0 - a Hit!
The wound card pulled is K.I.A.

It's over for Pvt Peters. He was in a bad way anyway. But that's not great news for the Allies.

Obfr Sauer has his morale increased to Bold because he rolled a 0 on that last attack.

Soldat Abbas has a Slow Suppression order and cannot attack anyone

Soldat Horn is captured.

The soldier in 35.09 moves into 35.10

The soldier in 35.07 moves to 34.07

The soldier in 35.07 moves into 34.07

The soldier in 35.06 has an Evade 5 order and moves into 35.07

This is the situation at the end of Turn 4 Impulse 2

Turns out it's going to be ok for Pvt Temple. On Impulse 4, Soldat Graf will move into his hex and they will engage in Melee - however, the German soldier will not get to perform Melee as he';s just moved in - so Pvt Temple will have first strike.

Pity about Pvt Peters - but it didn't look like he'd last very long anyway with no medics around
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:55:36 AM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
Reply #59 on: February 15, 2020, 04:07:58 PM
Fascinating Stuff, JD  :bigthumb: