Author Topic: Total Warhammer 2 Bretonnia Mortal Empires Campaign  (Read 2356 times)

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
on: March 09, 2020, 07:51:46 AM
It begins

I have to read up on a few things, the Bretonnians have a few unique dynamics i havent looked at before, namely Chivalry and Peasants

The opening map, to the south the richest city in the game and my enemy - this will probably be my first goal

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:28 AM
<grabs comfy chair, nabs bag of cashew nuts and bottle of brown ale>

Carry on, 'geek - let the fun commence!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:10:53 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 09:14:06 PM
Standing between us and Marienburg itself is a small detachment of their troops - we can take the Bretonnian army out for a spin and see what happens

First up, Pegasus Knights, flying troops that rush to the ground for melee and back up in the air again - perfect I imagine for dealing with back line artillery and undefended missile troops

Knights of the realm - as long as your not a spearman this is coming for you

The man himself - very much like the table top game, this guys job is to get in the action, none of that sneaking around the back and pointing and shouting

This is my only major worry, one or two of these on top my lovely knights will make me sad - the pegasus knights will be straight in for these

The aforementioned missile troops - the knights and the pegasus guys will be after these next

The Pegasus Knights arrive with quite a bang, mortar troops are all over the place

The trebuchets are quite effective too, big ass rocks from the sky helps to break up the swordsmen advance

The Knights crash into the crossbowmen and cut out that threat

The swordsmen break without reaching our front line and the stragglers are mopped up - first job done, onto Marienburg

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 10:56:54 PM
I started that same campaign UCG. Didn't get too far though, Marienburg is tough. And there's Orks off to the west. Between the two, one always clobbered me.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:58:36 AM
I see the orcs -  it’s the spawn point for the raids that Bretonnia suffer - there is a school of thought that says leave it and farm the rebellions for chivalry - we won’t be doing that!!

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 10:34:55 AM
Sunny Marienburg, big walls, shooty towers and crossbowmen - we'll see what we can do

Firstly we need to get the crossbowmen off the walls and at the same time destroy the towers - the artillery sets to work on the towers and the Pegasus attack the crossbowmen

Lovely job

With the fall of the towers we make a big hole in the wall for the archers to shoot through

With the walls and towers down the enemy head to the town square to defend in numbers

They all bunch up and get ready for a big fight..........

So we fire massive boulders at them

Without their crossbowmen or artillery to reply, we put our own archers on the walls to further pepper the town square

Jobs finished and it costs us 15 men, more were lost at the sergeants stag night last week

The latest addition to our property portfolio

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 10:44:10 AM
Smashing stuff  :)

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 12:35:57 PM
WOW! I never came close to doing that well against Marienburg.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 12:39:34 PM
The big stack is over the river - yet to fight that

Martok

• Jr Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 04:03:18 PM
Awesome!  I've yet to take Marienburg in any of my campaigns so far, not even as Brettonia or the Empire.  Well done, sir.  :notworthy: 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 09:57:26 PM
Thanks chaps - I’m on very hard very hard in case you guys are on legendary

All the guides I’ve read must be before a balance update as the marienburg province now has 3 towns - one very far to the north which is begging for Norsca invasions so the second town over the river is getting reinforcements from the north and has a much greater force than I thought - we’ll see what can be done 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 06:32:34 AM
 :bigthumb:

Martok

• Jr Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 07:31:50 PM
Thanks chaps - I’m on very hard very hard in case you guys are on legendary

All the guides I’ve read must be before a balance update as the marienburg province now has 3 towns - one very far to the north which is begging for Norsca invasions so the second town over the river is getting reinforcements from the north and has a much greater force than I thought - we’ll see what can be done

The Empire did receive a major overhaul back in September (the "Empire Undivided" update), although I'm not sure whether Marienburg was covered as part of it. 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
Right next to Marienburg is the source of multiple greenskin incursions into Bretonnian lands - theres 2 choices, take the land and stop the incursions or let the greenskins come for the next 20 turns and level up the army as the attacks arent that strong. Im too OCD to leave an Orc city in my territory and things are going to be busy enough soon anyway - we attack

Man thats a lot of Orcs

The knights are sent after the wolf riders - with only 3 units of spearmen to protect the archers and trebuchets I can do without goblins coming round the flanks and eating the artillery

The spearmen ready themselves for the green charge

The Orcs meet us in the middle so the archers gradually moving round the side so we can start shooting them in the flanks

With their backs to the knights its easy to flank the Orcs and starting causing them to route

With that done, and our own flanks secure we can march into Marienburg and try and take the other two provinces over the river - Gorssel and Aarnau

The battle of Gorssel is on a lovely open plain, we start by throwing big rocks at the massed infantry

Then we pick off individual melee units as they advance - i have 6 units of bowmen - in 2 groups of 3 they can pick 2 targets at a time and whittle them down pretty good before they reach the skirmish line

Once the melee units meet in the middle the enemy missile troops are left abandoned at the back of the field, the knights are sent round the back to sort them out

and once thats done they can charge into the back of the defenceless Marienburgers and finish them off

and after Gorsell comes Aarnau -

Well, this is a pain in the arse - this things between me and the enemy taking away the advantage of the big open plain that the trebuchets can use, by the time ive marched them round this the enemy will have moved

So we march up the old Damsel and fry them instead

Aarnau falls, i consolidate the province and can now concentrate on the Bretonnian mainland, and look at enemies closer to home.

Until marauders come out of the north and turn Aarnau into a car park

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 04:33:53 PM
 :bigthumb:

They don't like it up 'em, y'know.