Author Topic: Total Warhammer 2 Bretonnia Mortal Empires Campaign  (Read 2422 times)

Martok

• Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 10:10:24 PM
Ya gotta love Damsels.  :bigthumb: 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 06:08:25 AM
Especially one in distress  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 03:28:09 PM
I don’t think this one will ever be in distress - she’s now level 9 and brings down doom from the sky

Martok

• Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 03:30:29 PM
Especially one in distress  ;)

True.  Although my experience thus far is that these ladies are just fine with taking care of themselves, and are in fact quite good at getting the men in their lives out of a tight spot.  :D 

(EDIT:  Heh, ninja'ed by ucg!) 

Do you own either of the Warhammer TW games, by the way?  It seems like you ought to, since I know you're a fan of both franchises, but I don't ever recall you mention playing them. 

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 11:03:04 AM
That is some damned-fine Warhammering there UCG. Damned-fine.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 04:56:07 AM
Thanks Sir Slash -

A very weird, confusing and frustrating couple of turns but ill take the outcome

We confederate with Artois and gain these two big boys - the AI has hopelessly overspent on peasants and has 2 decent sized armies - i cut down the armies, boot out the unwanted lords and cherry pick the remainder of the troops - we end up with a decent sized force of spearmen and archers and these will be sent north to retake Arnau

After quelling a Vampire uprising to the North at Grung Zint our army come south to rid our lands of the undead scourge at Moussilon - heres the problem, because i dont really want to invest in the infrastructure at Grung Zint, coupled with the amount of Vampiric corruption in the area the base happiness score is -80, a rebellion occurs at -100 and the unhappiness penalty is -5 per turn, so i have 4 turns to quell the uprising, get to Moussilon, win the battle and get back to Marienburg before a ton of vampires turn up, aaaaaaaaaand everytime i step away from the Marienburg coast at least 2 Norscan fleets come south to raid and disembark on our soil. Not so bad in itself but the Norscans will flatten any city they take - the glory of Courrone or Marienburg could be reduced to rubble if i get this wrong

Sure enough we have to head back to divert the Norscans - who as soon as they see me, retreat to the boats and head home, leaving me too far from Mousillon and needing to put down another rebellion - rather cleverly they know exactly how far to move to be just on the edge of my movement allocation denying me an attack - the mod that improves your campaign range when in your own territory would seem handy right now but seems a bit cheesy.

Some good news, we upgrade far enough to get Battle Pilgrims, grim faced swordsmen who never break in battle - i can only have 3 for now due to the peasant restrictions brought on by the extra Artois army but theyll do

We retake Arnau and recolonise it, i forgot the colonists come from the army itself so our numbers are reduced by 50% but standing still here for a few turns should replenish the guys soon enough. The 2 orange skulled fleets to the North are the Norscans coming round again - it may be prudent to head up here and raid their lands for a change. I wanted Arnau back to act as a bastion against these raids but the fleets are going further south than i imagined

We manage to confederate with Lyonesse next, it has 2 provinces - the capital and Mousillon, our next target. Again the AI has abused the peasant limitation values and throws us 21 over our max score - basically shutting the farms down. The size of the Lyonesse army also sends us 3000 over budget - time to do some hiring and firing - again we cherry pick the troops, sack the heroes and lords and hope we havent reduced the forces too much as to invite an attack from Mousillon.

........and they declare war on us! Arse - I need to get the King over here ASAP, ignoring the Norscans and the Vampires. On the way i strike up an alliance with Bordeleaux and give them Mousillon as a war target hoping we all get there at the same time

So we get ready to advance and it would appear the main Mousillon force has gone, dont know if thats the Bordeleauxans, a tricky move by the Mousillons or crazy AI

We move in for an easy take and motherf.......... he was hiding, this actually made me smile - great move by the AI. Coupled with the garrison forces and the reinforcements this battle is a bit too juicy for us and we back off

In the meantime we confederate Parravon and get this beast - a level 5 castle capable of pumping some high end knightly goodness that doesnt affect the peasant limits. The bad news is they were at war with the Wood Elves and now so am i - we research a tech improving our relations with them by 50% - the friendly scores are heading upwards but it may not be quick enough to hold off the vengeful trees.

Forces reorganised and ready for action we head back to Mousillon - cue Magnificent 7 music

Two weird things happen next, when i get to Mousillon the main Red Duke's army has gone, and properly this time, no ambush - hes just not there. All thats present is a poorly formed garrison, we attack - what happens next is awesome and disappointing at the same time, probably due to the evil nature of the castle its a night fight, everything is black, well.... gloomy, its really hard to see whos where and whats happening so the screenshots are pretty pointless - needless to say the garrison collapses and we take Castle Mousillon - job done. I hang around for a turn or 2 waiting for the return of the Red Duke but after 2 turns get the message 'Faction Destroyed' for Mousillon, i never find out what happens to him

There is much magic items and banners of doom to be shared out amongst the lords but for now we have to head home to catch the Norscans before they flatten our prize cities

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 07:06:00 AM
Great stuff, 'geek - keep 'em coming  :bigthumb:

Sir Slash

• Lancer
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:04 PM
I was frustrated too that everybody you confederate with seems to be in shit-shape. The Wood Elves are tough opponents.  :worried:

Martok

• Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 03:14:28 PM
Very cool, geek! 

Interesting turn of events.  A pity we shall never know what became of the Red Duke, but nice job taking Mousillon.  Did you decide to actually occupy the city, by the way (and deal with the subsequent rebellions), or just raze the place and be done with it for now? 

I was frustrated too that everybody you confederate with seems to be in shit-shape.

Yeah, I've long since learned that in pretty much any/all Total War games, it's a good idea to make sure your own faction is ship-shape (including having at least a modest cash reserve) when confederating with someone else, as you never know what problems of theirs you're going to inherit -- and you *will* inherit some, guaranteed... 

The Wood Elves are tough opponents.  :worried:

Brother, you're not kidding.  Their tree units in particular are frickin' scary. 

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 03:22:51 PM
I sacked it first for 12000 which was irresistible and took the chivalry hit because this is very unBretonnian and then went straight back and occupied as it’s part of Bretonnian territory and isn’t actually vampiric land

I also got access to the green knight so I’ll see how handy he is

Sir Slash

• Lancer
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 10:49:01 PM
Ohhh. The Green Knight.... He's supposed to be the Bad Ass of all Bad Asses. And he hides real good in the trees.  :applause:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 07:01:05 AM
Never trust people who hide behind trees.

Sir Slash

• Lancer
Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:15 AM
Good point! I should have added the Green Knight hiding in the trees doesn't work at all in Fall and Winter. Now the Camo Knight is pretty much year-round.  :go-on:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:17 PM
He must have turned over a new leaf.

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 02:42:10 PM
Lots of game played but not a lot of shots, they will come on next update as a lot of housekeeping needs to be done -

We manage to confederate with Bastonne - another big castle joins the cause, again peasants all over the place and a whole slew of heroes that were not required - they're all sent to the job centre

I decide with the borders fairly secure we can do some Empire pounding, minor factions first to whittle down Karl's strength, and we set off East. Just as i mass the troops on the border 6 Norscan raiding parties come out of the North and land next to our capital and Marienburg, chief maker of money.

Back we come then with war undeclared to fight off this lot. After a few turns and some sneaky use of control zones to stop him escaping we manage to wedge all the armies between 2 Bretonian forces and we destroy everything - its Norscan slaughter, all the heroes die, the shamans, the werewolves - i almost feel sorry for them. In the heart of our lands now is the last bastion of Vampire power in this region - Blackstone Pass, huge castle filled with a full stack of scary stuff and a huge garrison - we cant manage this as a siege, so declare war on the Barrow Legion in the hope to prise them out. They dont budge, I head back towards the Empires borders. Just after this the full stack and a little army leave Blackstone and head to Artois. This is perfect, theyve left the garrison behind and i can meet them on the open plain - we turn around, again. Then a thought occurs to me, i can either meet them on the battlefield and probably win and theyll retreat back to the fortress and the safety of the garrison OR can i go around them and take the fortress myself - leaving them out in the field without a home territory and withering due to the attrition this causes - i take Blackstone Pass right under their noses and they start to panic and head for various castles of mine desperately seeking a new home - im like some kind of Bretonnian Napoleon, oh.... wait

Here they are, running around like headless chickens trying to capture anything to stop the attrition

And then the s**t hits the fan, not Norscans but proper dirty Chaos land 2 full stacks at Aarnau our northern most city - im miles away, i never saw these guys coming, and they might be able to win here and take the next city south with Marienburg on the horizon from there - we polish off the Vampires, the Green Knight goes home and we head North as fast as possible