Author Topic: Last Chance for Victory (Full Scenario)  (Read 237 times)

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 09:03:42 AM
That's a damn purty game.  :bigthumb:

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:46 AM
Sure is, and I LIKE purty!  :D

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 08:38:15 AM
The Union right is growing increasingly shaky, 1st Corps artillery in the area near Oak Ridge has either depleted its cannister ammunition or been driven off.  Howard's right is beginning to experience breakthroughs as Early's division assaults.  Pender is almost finished forming up, and there is not much to oppose him, only the brigades of Stone and Paul if he attacks towards Seminary Ridge.

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 03:13:30 PM
Pender IS the Man! Go Jimmy!  :biggrin:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 09:00:22 AM
With the Union right crumbling, and the CSA able to secure the Lutheran Seminary bringing Lee to 'on fire' awareness, Howard feels he is in danger of being cut off and decides to declare a general retreat and fall back on Cemetery Hill.  Steinwehr's Division is in reserve, well positioned with good artillery.

Lee must issue fresh orders to his Corps commanders, which will take some time.  But there are enough fresh troops and enough daylight available that it looks like an attempt to take the hill beyond the town is in the works.  Hancock has arrived on the field and now shares command of the army with Howard. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:30 AM
Excellent stuff  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 12:58:14 PM
This concept of issuing orders and it taking time to arrive is very interesting, especially in a board game.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 01:17:10 PM
The 'Line of Battle' game 'To Take Washington' has a similar system.

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 08:28:27 PM
Yup! Same series Line of Battle, it does take some interpretation at certain points. It's a nice system for solo or friendly play, when I play solo I just keep a binder next to the game with the order of battle and slots to transfer sticky notes with orders as they're delivered and passed from Corps to Division.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 06:46:38 AM
Prior to the lockdown, me and my two buddies played one of the smaller scenarios ftf. We then tried it in Vassal but using a command system whereby the guy who owns the physical copy acted as a moderator. We emailed him orders for each corps commander and he then used the command system to conduct movement before sending us an updated vassal map. In this way, we could only see enemy units that we had a valid LOS to.

There were a few problems but we sorted it out as we went along, and it did make for an interesting game.

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 07:04:15 AM
Oh!! That's awesome, sounds like a great way to play the game.  I try my best to play neutral and make decisions based on what the commanders can 'see' in front of them, but in a 2 player game with no umpire it would certainly take some realism out of it.

First picture is of the Union retreat/reform on Cemetery Hill.  A long range artillery duel went on for the better part of the 4 - 5 p.m. time frame.  Pender finally got the go ahead at 5:15, and is now pushing his attack in with some limited support from Rodes and Early.  12th Corps is just now arriving on the field, and they'll likely be needed shortly.

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 08:07:11 AM
Prior to the lockdown, me and my two buddies played one of the smaller scenarios ftf. We then tried it in Vassal but using a command system whereby the guy who owns the physical copy acted as a moderator. We emailed him orders for each corps commander and he then used the command system to conduct movement before sending us an updated vassal map. In this way, we could only see enemy units that we had a valid LOS to.

There were a few problems but we sorted it out as we went along, and it did make for an interesting game.

That concept sounds very familiar.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 08:42:18 AM
It could be very frustrating when, for instance, Divisional commanders did not act on the orders issued,  In that respect,it did give us some small insights to the problems of command in that period. Also, finding that you had not correctly divined your opponents intentions provided us with a few surprises.