Author Topic: TTS and VASSAL ( age of sail and kriegspiel plus ... tank duel )  (Read 207 times)

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper
By the format:

1/Tabletop Simulator

- Osprey's Fighting Sail ( light and straightforward fleet engagements )
- Oak & Iron ( i'm learning it, got the kickstarter a while ago. )
- Tank Duel ( the party game for wargamers :) )
- (under development and organization, own project ) "Battle in a Box" kriegspiel - light version ( this doesn't require TTS, just messaging like email, but if you want to have your own table to plot stuff the box will be made available ) all spots taken  :D

1a/VASSAL ( i'm totally new to it )

- Flying Colors

2/  London timezone, so more pleasing for europeans, but stuff can be arranged to bring people together. So is just a matter of arranging people that want to try and play and organize a day.

3/  Can demonstrate rules of course, Oak&Iron not so much as i'm also learning, but all games we learn together. It is impossible to know all the rules all the time. Also if you like the game, buy the rules whenever possible and available. PDF versions are available from the editors and many times through wargame vault.

4/  AAR pictures for sure. No video streaming. Might record, edit and then ask for review and approval. If not, i'll simply delete.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:21:27 AM by Hethwill »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
I'm certainly in your time zone, but those are not games I've played, so I'll need to look into them.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper
Good stuff Bob. I'm quite flexible with evening schedules by now anyway, having always played games with players from both Europe and America continents

Here's more info:

Fighting Sail - https://ospreypublishing.com/fighting-sail-fleet-actions-1775-1815
Flying Colors - https://www.gmtgames.com/p-672-flying-colors-deluxe-3rd-printing.aspx
Oak&Iron - https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/

regarding the kriegspiel, still being built, from the ground up, and is in the last stretch
https://twitter.com/Hethwill_Khan/status/1291760661916246017

Napolinux

• Fresh Recruit
i 'll give a look at tank duel and  send uou a message.

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper
Is good fun for a lot of players, like 8, 4 per side, rules are pretty straightforward, can learn them in 1 game.

Cyrano

• Jr Lancer
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
We've played a bunch of Fighting Sail.

The problem is there are no generic British ship models and Kendo's great labelled ships have a screwed up collision box that messes with the ruler.

That said, we've probably got 10+ hours of video on it.  I honestly think it's the only AoS game that works well in the TTS environment because it doesn't need rosters.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 03:40:50 AM
We've played a bunch of Fighting Sail.

The problem is there are no generic British ship models and Kendo's great labelled ships have a screwed up collision box that messes with the ruler.

That said, we've probably got 10+ hours of video on it.  I honestly think it's the only AoS game that works well in the TTS environment because it doesn't need rosters.

Yes. I think I used the original models workshop Trafalgar I setup ( also did some other smaller engagements to teach some folks the rules ), they kind of worked okay but had to do all labels by hand of course. Models are all the same, that's it, but other than that did not have any issues.

The Oak & Iron workshop is also good, although I think the creator did a bit too much ( scripted stuff ) and is truly a remarkable small action ruleset that I should play more.

Did not use the "diorama" boxes someone posted.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 03:43:17 AM by Hethwill »

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper

bbmike

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 06:28:42 PM
Wow, that looks really good!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:11:18 PM
seconded!

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Hethwill

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:22:43 PM
Following Cyrano suggestions, setting up the Cape Ortugal "intro scenario" with dual options ( minis or counters )

https://twitter.com/Hethwill_Khan/status/1307489805803159552