Author Topic: Holland '44  (Read 2077 times)

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #45 on: August 20, 2020, 08:41:09 AM
You really, really need your own "study" room.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #46 on: August 20, 2020, 09:00:00 AM
A wargamers lot is not a happy one. How about a garden shed?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 09:03:06 AM
It would have to be a garden shed big enough for a 34x22 map.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #48 on: August 20, 2020, 09:27:50 AM
Best to be on the safe side, make it big enough fer 2-mappers plus a side order of charts & tables.

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 10:15:20 AM
If you have a table that can fit a full game of Stalingrad '42, Twilight Imperium 4th, or a full sized reenactment of the battle of Cannae, you should have your bases covered.

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:43 AM
Yeah - a garden shed would be ideal...or kids leaving home  :)

Sheds are up to and over £1000 for a decent size. Then if I get anything "nice" - you know with windows and shit, she'll be like "Why can't we use this as a summer house - can't you pack your game away?"!!

I'm gutted because I had given the rules and videos a thorough going over and whilst there was still some complex elements (armour shifts, attacking over water, attacking towns, doubling defenders, halving attackers) - I was getting right into it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:22:18 AM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 10:23:38 AM
Have you got a loft with a decent pitched roof?

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 10:28:31 AM

-Sherlock Holmes

-Dean Martin

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:30 AM
Have you got a loft with a decent pitched roof?
I do...but - become a "loft dweller"? Hot in summer, cold in winter and dark. Need heater, lights and more flooring. Dusty, dark, horrible.

Not sure - not ruled out - but dubious

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2020, 10:47:00 AM

Limited game boards then...especially that one which likely costs a few bob anyway

Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2020, 11:15:10 AM
If you have a table that can fit a full game of Stalingrad '42, Twilight Imperium 4th, or a full sized reenactment of the battle of Cannae, you should have your bases covered.

This might hold a 3-player game of TI-4th

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #56 on: August 20, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
So the Wife defeated 3 Airborne Divisions, Thirty Corps, and the entire German Army? Sounds about right to me. Mine could do Barbarossa in under 2 weeks.  :biggrin:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2020, 02:47:22 PM
So the Wife defeated 3 Airborne Divisions, Thirty Corps, and the entire German Army? Sounds about right to me. Mine could do Barbarossa in under 2 weeks.  :biggrin:
lol - indeed she did.

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 03:27:47 PM
I know I stopped this AAR...but as I got it moved to my new dedicated gaming table,  I decided to play it again - from the start.

I'm not going to do a detailed AAR like previously but here's the situation at the end of the Allied Turn 3

1st Airborne
1st have a foot in Arnhem. I really couldn't provide anymore as I have to protect the LZs

82nd Airborne
82nd has secured the bridge over Grave and a couple of the bridges over the canal near Nijmegen. They are also on the brink of taking Nijmegen and need to before German support shows up although the Germans could quit happily sit north of it.

101st Airborne
101st has a foothold in Eindhoven and has secured the Son bridge although the bridge at Veghel is destroyed. I do have the rail bridge though.

30 Corps
30 Corps are being stalled along Hell's Highway. The Germans have been retreating towards Eindhoven but either on the road or to the side, providing a zone of control making them stall...but the weight of 30 Corps is proving too much.

8 and 12 Corps have to now deploy rapidly and keep the flanks secure before the German reinforcements start to nibble at the supply lines

Overall

Alba gu' brath

thecommandtent

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #59 on: September 18, 2020, 06:19:47 AM
Good stuff!