Author Topic: So.... 2 years now, eh?  (Read 764 times)

tuna

• Trooper
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 12:23:40 PM
Happy 2 Year Birthday!

You know, before you troublemakers were a bad influence, I didn't own any board games, grrrr!!!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 01:09:51 PM

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 02:00:05 PM
lol, and you might as well go ahead and start shopping for new shelving.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

tuna

• Trooper
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 05:38:36 PM
lol, and you might as well go ahead and start shopping for new shelving.  :bigthumb:

Hey, in one year I only have 8 games, luckily I missed the WaW kickstarter!  :(

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 05:48:23 PM
That's how it starts..............then it'll be up to 8 per month before you know it............

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 05:57:48 PM
^This

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 07:03:04 PM
^ x2

I'm not really a what you'd call a very active boardgamer and yet I have two bookcases full of them, 75% acquired in the last decade and possibly 50% in the last 2-3 years...    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Steelgrave

• Trooper
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 10:35:31 PM
I haven't been a boardgamer in decades, having sold my soul to my PC in the 80's. That makes a lot of the content here is more nostalgic than relevant to my current gaming hobby. Nonetheless, I look on board games with a fondness and really, I'm here because I enjoy the company so much. That's good enough for me. Happy Birthday, Dragoons!!!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 11:19:06 AM
Dip- blah...don't know what that means and the forum names under - they don't stand out as obvious and so mostlye I post under Simposia.

I wouldn't sweat it - i'm kind of mostly aware what they mean now - but it took me some time.

Was after something a little different-sounding; they are loosely inspired by Ancient Greek names, but not absolutely translated (partially b/c of alphabet differences)  :nerd:

There are also little tagline under each to tell you what they're for  8)

Anyhow....   a non-trivial part of the setup was breaking away from some older models so we weren't all stuck in a previous mindset, while trying to keep some familiarity.

A different look to the site, and some different names, were one way to do that without going completely crazy in ripping everything up

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Undercovergeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 07:14:48 AM
It is indeed a great place to hang out and chat with online buddies

It did originally surprise me, without your intention I assume, and it may only be me, that the bias is very much towards board gaming and if I need gaming news I’ll go elsewhere, but for camaraderie and general good spirited abuse there’s nowhere else to go

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 08:06:35 AM
'geek, my old mate!

Yes, we did feel that we wanted a bit more emphasis on board gaming.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 08:18:23 AM
We are more than happy to talk digital gaming at all times. It's just a matter of people talking about what they play, and right now we seem to have a few more tabletop gamers around here than digital ones.

feel free to go club a few more digital ones over the head and drag them back to the cave by their hair, and we're totally fine talking all kinds of digital games at that point 😁

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Yskonyn

• Jr. Trooper
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 10:15:27 AM
I feel its a great place, but what can I say; I was very generously offered my own piece of ACD to run my failed attempts at coordinating a BattleTech campaign, yet the section still hasn’t been deleted! 😊 😜

One of these days three times will be the proverbial charm and we will get going properly.

Sir Slash

• Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 11:53:10 AM
I don't play board games but I do love hearing about them. This is THE place for that.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

rickbill

• Jr. Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 11:16:58 PM
I don't play board games but I do love hearing about them. This is THE place for that.  :bigthumb:

WOW! I bet that saves a lot  since I would assume not playing boardgames means you are not buying boardgames either.  Though that may be presumptuous on my part.  Especially since there are many of us that play only a fraction of the games we buy. 

In the weekly Compass Games video podcast where Ty Bomba was announced as the new editor of their Game+Articles magazine.  If you listen, he seems to imply he believes the # game players vs # game collectors is a very low ratio.  From his comment, it seemed to me that he felt it was in the teens or lower (percentage wise).  If that is truly how he feels, I wonder if that affects he designs/develops games?  I wonder if other designers/developers share that opinion about how many games go un-played.