Author Topic: Solosaurus Podcast!  (Read 412 times)

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: September 09, 2020, 07:28:20 PM
The Solosaurus Podcast is a podcast covering solo card and board games of all stripes.

The last episode announced that, after 66 episodes, the current hosts (Brandon and Carter) are changing the guard and are handing things over to Martin Gonzalvez, a mainstay of the solo gaming Facebook groups, and myself. This last episode covered the Arkham Horror Card Game. I'm joining Martin and Brandon, and possibly Carter as well, this Saturday to discuss Star Trek: Frontiers and Mage Knight, then Martin and I will be taking it over full time from that point forward. The podcast has historically chosen one game to discuss in each episode, which Martin and I will keep, but we will eventually change that as unlike Brandon and Carter, whom live in the same town, Martin and I are about 500 miles apart. We'll figure it out.

We're pretty thrilled to have this chance as Martin and I have been talking about doing a podcast for more than a year now, and when this opportunity landed in Martin's lap, he immediately got me on board, and it's a no-brainer...they have an infrastructure in place and a large, supportive audience that equals about 800 subscribers and five to six thousand unique downloads each episode. No pressure, eh? :)

In any case I invite all of you to look it up and subscribe if you'd like. Besides the podcast link above, Solosaurus is on YouTube as well, where episodes are cross-posted.

Martin is more of a Eurogamer, and I'm more of a wargamer, though I play other things besides wargames (gasp). We're hoping this mix will continue the podcast's popularity. I'll definitely be mentioning AD in it and hopefully drive some curious traffic over here.

I'll post new episodes in this thread when they happen.

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:57 PM
 :bigthumb:
Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:54:20 PM
Should be fun!

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bbmike

• Corporal
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 08:55:58 PM
Maybe we can get him to join one of OUR podcasts?  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Dean Martin

Tolstoi

• Jr. Trooper
  • Hope is not a Course of Action
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:14:24 PM
Congratulations BanzaiCat!  I'll be honest, I had not heard of Solosaurus and after checking out the website and the YouTube page, I can see I've been missing out. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to catch up on past podcasts. I look forward to hearing what you and Martin produce in the near future.  :)

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:44:07 PM
Thanks all.

Honestly, I hadn't heard of them either, but they have a following so...hope we can live up to that expectation, and draw in some new listeners.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 07:26:02 AM
Sounds interesting!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:26:31 AM
Good luck, B_C!

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Martok

• Lancer
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:19 PM
Very cool, BanzaiCat.  Best of luck to you and Martin!  :bigthumb: 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:56:51 PM
First episode with both Martin and I, as well as the original hosts Brandon and Carter, is up!

https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/

Episode 67: Mage Knight

The discussion covers both Mage Knight as well as its cousin, Star Trek: Frontiers (I covered ST:F as that's the only one I have, not MK itself).

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 09:54:37 AM
Episode 68 is live!

In this episode, Martin and I speak to our gaming experiences, we thank the listeners for supporting the transition, and we talk about our current top 5 solo games.

Hint: I have a few wargames in my list, go figure.

Tolstoi

• Jr. Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 05:46:19 PM
Episode 68 is live!
In this episode, Martin and I speak to our gaming experiences, we thank the listeners for supporting the transition, and we talk about our current top 5 solo games.
Hint: I have a few wargames in my list, go figure.

Hey BC! I listened to episode #68 and enjoyed it very much. I have some experience with solo games and after listening to you both, I am definitely more interested now. Definitely more on the solo side of wargaming than the other games discussed; however, some of the non-wargames sounded really good. I'm looking forward to the next episode.  :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 05:57:39 PM
Thanks, Tolstoi! Much appreciated.

While I consider myself a wargamer, I have a lot of games (or, 'duh' as a lot of the smartarse denizens here would say) that are not necessarily wargame-themed. I love a good solo game whether it's Panzer- or meeple-centric, to be honest. Martin is more of a Eurogamer but has some interest in wargames (he has a copy of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader from DVG). Hopefully we'll be able to get a full-fledged one to the table for a future review.

Tolstoi

• Jr. Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 03:09:06 PM
Howdy BC!

Enjoyed the latest episode of Solosaurus. Friday sounds like a great game and it is now added to my list of games to try.

I’m guessing there is discussion about your episodes on Fb, correct? I don’t use Fb. Is there a Solosaurus only forum somewhere else? I’m guessing no, which is fine. I’ll share my thoughts with you here. :)

First, I like how you and Martin discuss games. You and Martin sound sincere and provide constructive input, both positive and negative. I also think when you two eventually review a game which one of you likes and the other doesn’t, you’ll do so with respect and integrity.

I was also struck by Martin’s description of how he learned be successful in the game. The struggle he experienced and the “Ah-Ha” moment he had was great. To my ear, he described the learning cycle everyone goes through while learning something new and that made me smile. Looking forward to the next episode.

BanzaiCat

• Corporal
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 07:45:59 PM
Hey Tolstoi, thanks much! I'll be sure to pass your words along to Martin.

There is indeed a FB group, and a YT channel as well. I haven't seen too much discussions there but it does spring up from time to time. Martin does more social interaction than I do; I just don't have too much time other than recording and editing the podcasts, ha.