Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: September 12, 2020 -- The Battle of Lake Erie for "Fighting Sail"  (Read 7128 times)

Germanmenace1

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 04:50:15 PM
Oooh, saily wooden things. Interesting.  :dreamer:

If I offer to sing period-appropriate sea chanteys are you more or less likely to join us?

Will there be grog and prize money for captured ships?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 06:49:13 PM
Oh, there will be grog. 🍻

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 06:49:58 PM
There will be, but here at ACD we don't use that term anymore.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 07:26:45 AM
 :2funny:

An 'in joke' if I ever heard one.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 07:32:47 PM
I'm up for learning how to sail :pirate:

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 07:49:47 AM
Sorry, it's your turn in the barrel.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 09:27:34 AM
First off, great game everyone. Really enjoyed it.  Very nice system, about as good as you can make a square based board game for fighting sail. They packed a lot of good ideas into what can be difficult to depict on a board game.

Of course now you got my age of sail blood pumping again. If any of you wish to try out Black Seas https://www.black-seas.com/  or Oak & Iron https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/ let me know. They both can easily by played on TTS, in fact O&I offer their own module for their game.

Both are relatively new, and both have really good support and nice models for real-life play as well. I recommend both. Most hobby stores are carrying both now-a-days in boxed sets. I also play Heart Of Oak and Form Line Of Battle often. So I can run either of those if anyone has a hankerin' as well.

Again, enjoyed playing, enjoyed meeting additional new folks, and of course will play again in the future in a SNF. In fact that Fletcher Pratt game is calling my name, but will need to check with significantly better half if I can back to back play.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:52:58 AM by PeterRobbins »

beetcafe

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 12:06:03 PM
Great game. I'll have to dig out my copy and try it out a game or two.

A little local history tidbit for those of us that live in Northern Illinois, Commodore Perry's Ensign is on display in the Galena History Museum in Galena IL. The story is a Galena resident was on the Lawrence with Perry and grabbed the flag before the ship went down. Perry gave it to him in honor of his service. I have been there and seen the flag. It is amazing what you can find in small museums. 

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 03:56:30 AM
First off, great game everyone. Really enjoyed it.  Very nice system, about as good as you can make a square based board game for fighting sail. They packed a lot of good ideas into what can be difficult to depict on a board game.

Of course now you got my age of sail blood pumping again. If any of you wish to try out Black Seas https://www.black-seas.com/  or Oak & Iron https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/ let me know. They both can easily by played on TTS, in fact O&I offer their own module for their game.

Both are relatively new, and both have really good support and nice models for real-life play as well. I recommend both. Most hobby stores are carrying both now-a-days in boxed sets. I also play Heart Of Oak and Form Line Of Battle often. So I can run either of those if anyone has a hankerin' as well.

Again, enjoyed playing, enjoyed meeting additional new folks, and of course will play again in the future in a SNF. In fact that Fletcher Pratt game is calling my name, but will need to check with significantly better half if I can back to back play.

Always up for anything naval. O&I for sure :) others as well ( except for Blegh Seas ). Just need to mark the seat faster, i'm whipping myself for missing the saturday and seeing the Yank invaders win... :waah:

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 02:05:12 PM
I discourage NO ONE from playing online EVER!

It is BEST!

Especially during pandemic evil.

That said, I have learned through hard experience that some games just work better for our live stuff than others.  The ancient S.P.I.'s (well, most of them), "Blucher", "C&C" in all its iterations, "Sharpe Practice", "Rebels and Patriots", "The Men Who Would Be Kings", and "Altar of Freedom" have done well due to their relative simplicity and straight-forward nature.

Complexity -- "Black Powder" manages to be far more complicated than it has any right to be -- rosters and a few other things just don't work as well.  The best ship-to-ship game of all time is "Close Action", but, as a big event on TTS where rules are taught?  Heavens, no.

That said, "Flying Colors", 3e is sitting at home waiting for me.  And, yes, Brant, I will do an unboxing.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 02:24:46 PM
That said, "Flying Colors", 3e is sitting at home waiting for me.  And, yes, Brant, I will do an unboxing.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Dan22Daly

• Jr. Trooper
  • fortune favors the bold
Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 06:13:58 PM
sorry I missed the fight.  Watching the replay it looked like a lot of fun.