Author Topic: Re: By Stealth and Sea: FINAL TURN - MISSION 1 COMPLETE  (Read 1848 times)

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 08:05:21 PM
Ah, heck with it. Here's another chapter. :)

Part 3

No pressure, but designer David Thompson is reading this, and has been very helpful in pointing out what I’ve been doing incorrectly. I definitely prefer that over showing you guys the wrong way to play this game! In this case, I just played the turn for SLC1 incorrectly; if you try a Piloting roll and fail with your first action, you cannot spend a second action to try again. I flubbed good, there, so I’m sorry about that missive on my part! I’m making these frogmen superheroes, lol. For the moment I’m going to let it slide so I don’t have to go back and re-do it, but I’m certainly keeping it in mind moving forward.

Now, we’re in the Harbor Defense Phase of turn 2. We first start with searchlights…

Good ol’ SLC3 gets a big honkin’ spotlight on them. I need to place a yellow Detected marker on them, now.

This might not be so bad, but it’ll make it easier for Patrol Boats to find them. Speaking of, we need to check for those, now…

So, being hit by a searchlight earlier and therefore being Detected means the Patrol Boats only need an 8 or higher on an Alert card draw. That 9 means a Patrol Boat is zeroing in now on SLC3.

However, it starts here as Exhausted, flipped to its darker side, so it cannot act in the rest of this Phase (if it were active, it would move and attack!).

Since the Patrol Boat cannot act, there’s nothing left in the Harbor Defense Phase to do, so we move to turn 2’s Clean Up Phase. We un-Exhaust the Patrol Boat and then advance the time to 0130.

Turn 3

For the Fault Check Phase, this is what we get…

This time, SLC2 gets hit with a Battery Fault. I rolled a 3, nowhere near close to keep this from happening, so SLC2 loses one of its tokens on its Battery. It has two, so it’s okay for now, but if it loses another one, it most definitely will not be able to move, and will be out of the mission.

For the SLC Phase for turn 3, here’s a summary of what we did:

SLC1: Full Move, spending both Actions. Moves 3 spaces closer to the southern torpedo net entrance.

SLC2: Move (1 Action), moving 1 space, then Change Direction (Turn, 1 Action). I made a Piloting roll of 5, making this a success.

SLC3: The fun part here is, the only way to remove a Detection marker is to be submerged (check!) and to conduct a Full Move. A regular Move will leave the Detection marker with SLC3, so we gotta try to dodge that. Fortunately I roll a 5, making the Full Move a success; the Detection marker goes away. Next, I try to get them to turn towards the harbor, but roll a 3, a failure.

Now, let’s see what the Brits do. First, we have the searchlights to contend with:

Fortunately, none are spotted (though SLC2 comes awfully close…).

Now it’s time for the Patrol Craft, to see if more show up on the scene.

Unfortunately, one of them spots what they deem as something suspicious, and move in to further investigate. SLC2 will now have a Patrol Craft to shake.

Note: I totally forgot to put a Detection marker on SLC2. I've rectified that, but it won't show up in the remaining images in this post. It will show up beginning next turn. This does not impact the rest of this turn; it'll only be important in the next turn, since the new Patrol Craft cannot do anything (as it is Exhausted).

Since we have an active Patrol Craft on the board (Patrol Craft 1), it must move. There are no SLCs on the board with Detection markers (whew), so it moves in a random direction. I roll the d8 and get a 6, so it moves ‘southwest’ – which is actually logical, considering that’s where the spotlight got a hold of SLC3 in the first place.

The Clean-Up Phase for turn 3 happens, so we advance the clock to 0200, and un-Exhaust Patrol Craft 2. Things just got much more interesting with those two ships on the map.

Here's how things look at the end of Turn 3:

We're moving right along and are actually pretty lucky that more Patrol Craft haven't turned up. But the two that are on the map are more than enough for the moment!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:59:22 PM by BanzaiCat »

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 11:01:02 PM
I nearly had a, "Wetsuit Malfunction" when that spotlight caught SLC3.  :whew:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #32 on: November 28, 2020, 10:58:24 AM
Part 4

Another error to point out – nothing major. I was sincerely convinced that a submerged SLC cannot remove a Detection token without conducting a Full Move. I believe I read this wrong. If your SLC is on the surface and it conducts a Move, a Detection marker moves with it. If you do a Full Move while surfaced, however, you lose the Detection Marker. When submerged, if you do a Full Move OR a Move, the Detection Marker is removed. I would have conducted two Move actions with SLC3 had I known this, as it would have aligned them with the torpedo net on the south end of the harbor. I’m going to go ahead and go back to make that SLC have conducted two Move Actions, moving one space each. When submerged or surfaced, a Move action only costs one Action and is an automatic success.

This doesn't impact what happened the previous turn. And, it's not too big a deal to move it one hex closer to the Patrol Craft, as SLC3 is not Detected.

I’m also going to keep this at a turn per post from this point forward. Right now, we’re starting Turn 4, so that means let’s see which poor SLC gets hit in the Fault Check Phase.

Good ol’ SLC3 gets a Ballast Tank Fault this time. And of course, I roll a 1, which is quite literally the opposite end of the roll we want (seeing as how the opposite side is a 6, heh).

This means SLC3 has to immediately surface. Bayoni and Pedretti feel the bottoms of their stomachs drop as their pig immediately “blorps” and rises like a cork to pop up on the dark, glassy surface of the bay.

Now it’s the SLC’s turns.

SLC1 will spend each of their 2 Actions on 2 Move orders, which is an automatic success, to move 1 space for each Action. This moves them right next to the torpedo net guarding the southern entrance to the harbor.

SLC2 does the same – spends 2 Actions on 2 Move orders, each an automatic success, to move 1 space for each. This moves them right next to the torpedo net guarding the northern entrance to the harbor.

SLC3 has something of a conundrum to figure out. We can spend both their Actions on a Repair order, which will assure the Ballast Tank gets fixed, but will leave them surfaced for the Harbor Defense Phase. We can try to spend 1 Action on a Repair, which would be successful on a 6 or higher. I do not like my odds at rolling dice, so Bayoni and crew will need to do the assured Repair action that costs both their Action points. If we miss that Repair roll, they’ll be sitting ducks for two turns, let alone just one. So, they'll spend both Actions to insure their Repair of the faulty Ballast Tank is successful. This moves the token back to their SLC card.

Here is a summary of our SLC actions.

Now, for the Harbor Defense Phase. First, the Searchlights.

The searchlights continue to stab out into the darkness, but fail to find any of our SLCs. A sigh of relief is breathed.

But now we check for those Patrol Craft, which are starting to become a nuisance…

Well, SLC1 and SLC3 manage to avoid detection, but SLC2 has just stepped into a hornet’s nest and is VERY detected. On top of becoming Detected, it gains the attention of a third Patrol Craft.

By the way, that 12 value Alert Card means that I need to search the Alert discard pile and remove all of the lowest-numbered card from that pile, from the game. Up to 6 such cards are discarded from the mission permanently; this means I need to remove two 3-value Alert cards, unfortunately. Then, the Alert deck is reshuffled. That 12 card is a cagna.

SLC2 finds itself between a rock and a hard place. The torpedo net requires a specific Action to breach, and with two Patrol Craft breathing down their necks, this will be interesting, to say the least.

Next, the Patrol Craft move. For the two by SLC2, since that SLC is Detected, both Patrol Craft head right for them.

Since SLC2 is well out of range from Patrol Craft 1 (a Detected SLC has to be within three hexes of it in order to move into the Detected SLC's hex), we roll a die to determine what this one does; a result of 8 means it stays in place, apparently confused and/or still looking for SLC3 in the place where they originally spotted them.

Since we have Patrol Craft in the same space as an SLC, each one gets to attack.

Gird your loins, Barthi and Bianchi…

The Patrol Craft, knowing something odd is afoot, begin firing wildly into the dark waters of the bay. Both Barthi and Bianchi see several bullet trails through the water, but only a few come close to them. Fortunately, both Patrol Craft miss, but SLC2 is still in hot water, considering they need to try to breach this torpedo net.

The last thing to do for this turn is the Clean-Up Phase. The only thing that applies is advancing the Time Token, so it is now 0230.

We’ve been VERY lucky so far in that SLC3 has not been detected and attacked, and SLC2 is still moving along. SLC1 is in great shape with nothing to harass them. Hopefully, at least SLC1 will be able to breach the net and find a good target in the next few turns.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 11:21:55 AM
 :bitenails:

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 10:05:55 AM
FYI to all, I've finished out this first mission and will post as I have time. Thanks!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 11:22:21 AM
Good stuff, BC, as ever, thanks for an entertaining read!  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 12:21:37 PM
I hope we all survive.  :worried:

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 11:12:13 AM
Part 5

I’m very afraid of saying anything positive about our position at this point, as this may jinx the hell out of what we’re trying to do here. Nevertheless, it’s probably one of the best starts I’ve had of any game of By Stealth and Sea.

And now that I’ve said that, I bring you unmitigated disaster. Though I hope not as I’m writing this as I play, ha.

First, for turn 5, the wonderful Fault Check Phase.

I roll up SLC1 this time, and draw a Battery Fault. But then I roll a 6, which is unheard of. So SLC1 does not suffer this malady, thankfully!

Now, it’s the SLC Phase. Both 1 and 2 need to breach the torpedo net (an Action that’s called Evade Net). I can spend 1 Action to take a chance at an Ops Check, which is 4+ on 1d6, or I can spend both Actions to assure success.

I’m going to do the latter, especially in the case of SLC2; it needs to get the heck out of that space with the two Patrol Craft. Even if an SLC is not Detected, Patrol Craft in the same hex get to attack. So, it needs to vamoose with great haste.

SLC3 needs to get back on track. I want it to get aimed at the southern torpedo net, and to submerge. Considering SLC3’s luck streak thus far, I don’t think we have a lot to lose by spending 1 Action on each and rolling 1d6 for success, trying for both a Change Direction and a Dive action. Unfortunately, I roll a 2 for the Change Direction action, but roll a 6 for the Dive action, so at least they’re submerged. I’m doubting SLC3 will make the harbor at this rate, but we shall see.

Here’s a summary of my SLC’s actions this turn.

Note that SLC2’s move into the torpedo net hex while submerged removes its Detection token, fortunately for them.

Now for the Harbor Defense Phase and those good old searchlights:

None of the searchlights’ efforts are rewarded this turn. SLC3 comes darned close to getting spotted, and they would have, were they still surfaced!

Now for the Patrol Craft. There is still one remaining that can be deployed, but even if there were none left, SLCs can still be Detected.

Since SLC1 and 2 are in the harbor now, their chances of being detected go up significantly. Fortunately, neither of them is found, nor is SLC3 found. We continue our lucky streak.

Now it’s time to move the Patrol Craft on the board. There’s a chance that Patrol Craft 2 and 3 may move into SLC2’s space (wouldn’t THAT just be a fine thing), but fortunately, I roll a 2 and 6, so they move off, confused.

Patrol Craft 1, though, must have a sneaky suspicion, as they move one hex closer to SLC3 (thanks more to me rolling a 3 for their movement, but it fits nicely into the narrative).

And that ends turn 5, with the Time Token moving to the 0300 space.

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 07:23:18 PM
Part 6

I’ll dive right in (HA) to the Fault Check Phase. This Phase is very much like a Band-Aid – you just gotta rip that sucker off and push through the pain.

I get SLC2 this time, and draw a Wetsuit Fault. This means we need to make a Stamina Check for SLC2, and if it fails, their card is flipped to its Stunned side. An SLC with a Stunned crew can do nothing (I don’t think) other than take a Recover Action.

Fortunately, SLC2 has an improved Stamina of 2, which means they get to roll 2d6. I get a 5 and 4, and the 5 is good enough to pass. Their wetsuits suck, but their Stamina keeps them going.

Now, for the SLC Phase. The picture is becoming clearer as to what I would like to accomplish, especially as we’re doing pretty well and we have a decent amount of time remaining, so we don’t need to rush and take chances.

SLC2 is going to target HMS Sheffield, and SLC1 is going to target HMS Renown. Renown is quite a prize as it is the highest VP target on the board. I think SLC1 can take its sweet time to get where it needs to go.

SLC3 needs to just get a move on, and finally its luck changes; I manage to get it to Change Direction successfully, and to complete a Full Move successfully, so it’s on its way to the harbor!

As always, here is a summary:

The Harbor Defense Phase comes along. Each of the SLCs draw an Alert Card, as always, to see if they’re detected. Since they’re all submerged, that happens on an 11+.

None of them are found.

But the next part gets a little hairier. Since SLC1 and 2 are in the harbor, their detection chances go up. Now we’re drawing Alert cards for the Patrol Craft Response. SLC1 and 2 will be detected on a 9+, while SLC3 remains at a 10+ since they are still outside of the harbor.

That went well. None of our SLCs are detected! Pretty incredible luck thus far, SLC3 notwithstanding, heh.

Now, the three Patrol Craft move. Patrol Craft 1 moves into the space that SLC3 just vacated (whew, because that would have allowed it to attack, regardless of detection). Patrol Craft 2 stays in place, and 3 moves up to join 2.

And the last thing for this turn is the Clean-Up Phase. The only thing to do here is to advance the Time Token to 0330. Time is getting short, but I think we’re in a good position.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2020, 12:59:19 PM
Nice! The luck of the Moussolini  Mousekeeters  holds!  :applause:

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2020, 05:44:57 PM
I wasn't particularly keen on this game...but your AAR has brought it to life. Thank you

On my list  :bigthumb:

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2020, 09:50:36 PM
Part 7

So far, so good. Yes, I said it. The thing that concerns me is this finite Alert Deck; we’ve drawn a lot of low cards so that means there’s plenty of high ones left. Plus, the 12 card is always in there, so that’s a lovely thing to look forward to. It’s especially nail-biting right now because we’re getting very close to actually detonating our warheads.

We begin turn 7 with the Fault Check Phase. (FYI, there are 12 turns per mission.)

And poor beat-down SLC3 gets it again, with another Transmission Fault. No Full Moves for this one until it’s fixed.

For the SLC Phase, things are pretty clear. I’m taking no chances.

SLC1 spends both Actions to automatically succeed at a Change Direction action.
SLC2 spends each Action on a Move, automatically succeeding at moving 1 space each (so it is now directly under HMS Sheffield).
SLC3 cannot Full Move with a faulty transmission, so instead I opt to get them as far away from that Patrol Craft as possible. I spend both their Actions on a Move action, so they move two spaces away.

A summary:

And now we’re in the Harbor Defense Phase. First comes the searchlights, needing an 11+ to find any of our submerged SLCs.

None are spotted. We’re doing well at dodging British spotlights!

Now comes the Patrol Craft Response part of this Phase.

“Lucky” SLC3 is spotted by the fourth Patrol Craft. It enters the map ahead of SLC3, on its Exhausted side, so at least it will not be able to act on SLC3 this turn.

I also need to place a Detected Token on SLC3.

That 12 also means, just like before, I need to go through the discard pile and get rid of all the lowest-number cards. This time, there’s only one 2 card, but it goes away for the rest of the mission. The Alert Deck is then shuffled.

The three Patrol Craft on their Ready side now move. Patrol Craft 2 stays in place, but 1 and 3 each move one space. Patrol Craft 4, having just entered the board and on its Exhausted side, does nothing for this Phase.

And now for the Clean-Up Phase. Patrol Craft 4 is flipped to its Ready side, and the Time Token advances to 0400.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:53:18 PM by BanzaiCat »

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 11:23:02 PM
H.M.S. Sheffield looks screwed.  :buck2:

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2020, 09:41:20 AM
Part 8

Here we are at turn 8 (of 12 total turns), and things are generally looking good. Even though SLC3 has been the recipient of a lot of bad luck, they’re still on the board (as opposed to being sunk, or stranded, or dead, or any number of other things).

We’ll begin with the Fault Check Phase.

I draw another Breathing Gear Fault card for SLC2. SLC2, however, already had their token removed for this, so I think this means the Fault does not happen. After all, how can you fault something that’s already broken?

Now we go into the SLC Phase. Let’s start with SLC1.

I did a Move action to move them 1 space, then tried Change Direction, which failed. That’s okay, as we still have plenty of time.

As SLC2 is right below HMS Sheffield, I figure it’s time to take a chance.

First, they must take a Detach Warhead action. This is the careful removal of the warhead from the front of the SLC, which is no mean feat in darkness, beneath a major Royal Navy warship. The chance I’m taking is in spending only 1 Action to do this instead of 2 to assure success. I need to roll a 4 or higher.

Success! SLC2 removes its warhead, which is placed on the SLC2 counter. SLC2 cannot move at all while this warhead is on its counter.

That means the next step is to take an Attach Warhead action. From what I know, the frogmen attach lines to the hull of their target ship, which holds the warhead to the hull. It then is detonated, which takes place hours later, to give the crew a chance to escape.

In game terms, this success is determined immediately. Since SLC2 only has 1 Action remaining, we’ll have to take a chance on that, too, meaning a 1d6 roll of 4 or higher.

Another 4 means another success! HMS Sheffield is going to be blown to bits. I’m placing the ship’s counter on SLC2’s sheet, because this will mean a skill increase for them later at the end of the mission. I replace it with an awesome LITKO explosion marker, as you can see above.

SLC3 is in a bit of a pickle. If they Move, they’ll get rid of the Detection token, but will be in the same space as the Patrol Craft. Even though the Detection token gets removed, being in the same space as a Patrol Craft means it will be attacked. SLC3 cannot move any further since the torpedo net is there, too. So, they’ll have to Move 1 space, then attempt to breach the net.

Fortunately, I roll a 5 and SLC3 slips by not only the Patrol Craft, but the torpedo net as well!

But now, we’re in the Harbor Defense Phase, which means searchlights…

Continuing our lucky streak, their searchlights find nothing.

Now, for the Patrol Craft…

Since we’re in the harbor, Detection occurs on a 9+. SLC2 and 3 avoid this, but SLC1 gets spotted. Being this close to HMS Renown makes this more likely, to be honest (not in game terms, but in the narrative). I place a Detection marker on them, but as they’re not anywhere near a Patrol Craft, this has zero effect.

The four Patrol Craft, not being within three hexes of a Detected SLC, move randomly. Patrol Craft 1, 2, and 4 all stay in place, while 3 moves to the mouth of the northern entrance to the harbor. Remember, HMS Sheffield isn’t technically destroyed yet, so they still don’t have a clue as to what’s going on.

And we come to the end of turn 8, moving the Time Token to the 0400 space.

Barthheart

• Corporal
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2020, 09:54:04 AM
Barthi FTW!  :groovy:

But we still need to escape right?  :bitenails:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners