Author Topic: None But Heroes  (Read 844 times)

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
on: November 13, 2020, 08:10:13 AM
About 30 in-game minutes into None But Heroes of the LoB series. Its a big undertaking (though not as big as my quarantine double-table attempt of Gettysburg), but going to take a while to play through.

Hooker's attack through the cornfield has begun, and heavy guns across the Antietam Creek have opened up all along the line. Stuart's batteries on Nicodemus Hill have been taking alot of very effective counter battery fire, rendering them so far ineffective. It's difficult in this game to post batteries, especially for the Union who mostly need to rely on Division and Corps commanders to do so. Hooker is riding about sending more batteries to positions that facilitate firing on Nicodemus Hill while his first 2 divisions commit to the attack.

bbmike

• Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:16:17 AM
Another nice looking game board!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:02:58 AM
Agreed.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 05:29:22 AM
Meade's division pushes forward, through and around Douglas.  Union brigade commander Seymour goes down wounded.  CSA batteries on Nicodemus hill are still under fire and taking losses from counter battery fire, though some have begun to ignore the Union guns and concentrate on the infantry as it comes up.  The game time now is 6:30 a.m., 12th Corps will begin arriving on the field.

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 08:08:24 PM
7:00 a.m., Hooker's first two divisions are locked in combat and have bogged down, he prepares to commit Doubleday's division held in reserve til now. It's probably his strongest as it contains the Iron brigade.

CSA artillery on Nicodemus hill has not been terribly effective, taking heavy losses from the Union guns.

Losses have been heavy among the engaged units, but Jackson still hasn't even needed to commit Hood's division or Early and Hays' brigades. Plenty of gas left in the tank, and probably needed as 12th Corps has finished deploying and will commit when Hooker calls for it.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:46 PM
It's getting real now man.  :worried:

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 07:38:55 PM
In a quick 15 minutes, confederate brigade commander Starke goes down wounded, his brigade collapses under a series of local charges, and Lawton's neighboring brigade is torn apart and driven back in fire combat. Confederate line here in alot of disorder. Meade and Ricketts are battered but their troops have steadied and are pushing forward.

Martok

• Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 07:53:51 PM
Uff-da. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 07:56:24 PM
As the Confederate lines were breaking, Hays and Early's counterattack from the West stabilized things momentarily. Then, Ricketts and Doubleday's attacks simultaneously "fluked" in game terms, which basically means they hesitated and called off the attack to reorganize. Meade looks awfully lonely at the edge of the cornfield.

Hooker has called on 12th Corps to begin their attack in his support while he tries to get Ricketts and Doubleday sorted out and recommitted.

thecommandtent

• Trooper
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 09:21:59 PM
Nice I like the cards showing where the action is.

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 06:32:44 AM
Hooker issues fresh attack orders to Doubleday and the Iron Brigade plunges forward. Douglas' CSA brigade is entirely destroyed in this combat.  CSA artillery being effective at this point and US troops are taking some significant losses. 12th Corps advances, the confederate first line is being pierced.

McClellan issues orders to 2nd Corps to begin crossing at the Upper bridge and assault the sunken road position.

Ricketts is still fluked waiting for fresh orders.

Not alot of terrain has changed hands, but the second picture is of the completely destroyed regiments so far. Very heavy losses despite the positions of both armies not having changed significantly.

Sir Slash

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 11:38:30 AM
My brother and I were at Antietam back in 2011. We were driving around the battlefield and as we passed The East Woods, I saw dozens of 3-4 ft. stakes in the ground all wrapped with bright orange styrofoam. I told my brother, "Something important must've happened there, maybe a famous brigade was destroyed or General killed. Or maybe they're doing archaeological work there. Who knows"? When we got back to the Visitor's Center, I asked the Ranger there and he told me, "There trees. We're trying to re-forest that area and the deer come-in at night and eat the saplings. So we have to wrap them in styrofoam to protect them".  So... I felt kind of stupid.  :doh:

bbmike

• Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 11:48:03 AM
Not as exciting as deer repellent, but a neighbor told me about the Memorial Illumination that the Antietam Battlefield Park does every year. It's on my must see list.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 12:06:53 PM
Oh yea I've never been to that event either! Would be really neat. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 01:06:48 PM
that sounds pretty cool

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.