Author Topic: Victoria Cross II - Rorke's Drift  (Read 1430 times)

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 04:52:55 PM
Is there an equivalent to Strength Points? Is each SP one soldier/warrior?
Not really - but it's not 1 to 1. There were about 140 soldiers at Rorke's Drift - there's only about 50 SPs. There were about 4000 Zulu Warriors and there's only 90 allowed on at any one time.

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:50 PM
I remember us seeing an amazing, and very large, diorama of Rorkes Drift somewhere in Wales. May have been in Caernarfon Castle.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 05:08:02 PM
That really does look like an excellent game.
It's alot of fun and helped that I was very interested in the battle (and Isandwala). It's fast paced too. I have no idea how it's going to go from here. Having to send wounded troops to Zone G to get fixed up is tough - and slow without a leader as they can only move 1 zone at a time...not to mention only 2 SPs per turn to rebuild. Mind you, thankfully by the time my 3 units from Zone P get back to G, the other two units will be up and ready.

Having to move your troops before you know where the Zulu are coming from is pretty tough and a superb feature. You are constantly guessing and hoping.

It really seems to me that the combat has been well worked out. Random fire from the Zulu is enough to cause some anguish but not overly deadly - just like you wouldn't expect it to be because they weren't very well trained and they were shooting from some distance away.

The British on the other hand are pretty deadly close range and not so further away. They also get to melee (and perhaps bayonet charge) after - so the fact that 20 Zulu turn up on your doorstep doesn't necessarily mean you're screwed.

Melee - again, well balanced I think. There are lost of Zulu so limiting them to 6 seems fair. The British getting a bonus due to walls etc is also pretty clever.

Overall - so far - the game seems pretty well structured. The manual is a bit of a let down, over-explaining some things and not explaining enough on other points.

An example of overexplaining is it mentions that units in Zone G get rejuvenated by 1SP per turn. It also says something like a unit has to have 1SP to get rejuvenated - however - if a unit had 2 SPs it couldn't be rejuvenated and of course it must have 1 SP - otherwise it wouldn't get there. I often think when a rule is over explained (like this) it confuses and makes you think "Hold on...why is it explaining it like that?"

An example of where a rule is under developed is the bayonet charge. I have no idea when this can be done. I found an answer on BGG about it only being allowed in the compound - but that was a bit of a guess and actually isn't explained in the manual. If you were to take the manual at it's word, you can perform a bayonet charge, anywhere and immediately after melee....but I don't know why that's different from melee. It also explains that they are locked in a bayonet charge until all are depleted (either side) or the British pull back...but again, that's how melee is...there's just no distinction in the manual between melee and a bayonet charge...they sound the same.

Anyway - that's the manual. The actual game is playing very well and very enjoyable. I'm really finding it quite tense. I'm already wondering where to deploy my troops, where the Zulu will be moving, where the Zulu replacements will enter the map, whether I can spare my wounded troops. I can't imagine what the game would be like against a Zulu player where they can hide the size of their force...so the British couldn't see where the main force was.

All cracking stuff.

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 05:12:44 PM
And I take it the game also includes Isandlwana?

So in the 2 player game, i assume the Zulu counters are face down initially thus hiding the strength?

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 05:19:33 PM
And I take it the game also includes Isandlwana?
Yes...just flip the beautiful, mounted map over. Differing rules too.

So in the 2 player game, i assume the Zulu counters are face down initially thus hiding the strength?
Yes. The SPs are only on one side so the British player wouldn't know that 3 Zulu counters in a zone with a leader are actually only 3 x 1 SPs and the other zone with 3 units has 3 x 10 SPs.

All pretty exciting.

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 05:22:21 PM
And I see Second Chance Games has a copy - and Christmas is coming :-) I may have to drop a few hints to the missus.

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 05:26:57 PM
And I see Second Chance Games has a copy - and Christmas is coming :-) I may have to drop a few hints to the missus.
She likes board games doesn't she?  I think this could play really well with 2 players...though it really does play very well solo

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2020, 05:27:55 PM
I shall work on it  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:48 PM
Turn 4

This is the situation at the start

The Zulu have 30 warriors waiting to enter the fray

British Replacement Phase
There are no units able to receive replacements

British Movement Phase
I move the two reduced units into Zone G so they can take replacements next turn (get patched up)
I move AC Dalton plus the squad in Zone C to Zone K

I move Bromhead and the 3 wounded squads from Zone P to Zone F - that leaves Zone P undefended. So...I have some shifting to do...
I move Chard and the squad from Zone J to Zone P
I move a squad from Zone K to Zone P
I move a squad from Zone N to Zone P

I move C.Sgt Bourne from Zone K to Zone I to beef that back up
I move the squad from Zone B to Zone A as anything from B can be hit from A

NB I forgot to remove the Volley Fire from Zone P and they wouldn't be able to use Volley Fire because that can only be used if the officer hasn't moved

Zulu Movement Phase
First off, the 30 Zulu reinforcements enter - and they enter in Zone 18 (again). I randomly check for a leader being available...they're not.

I then roll for each Zulu zone - and I do it right this time. They are determined to stay round the same area. Only 1 forward movement - mostly lateral
NB - this might be a failing of the AI Zulu - I can help but think a jink left or a jink right might be warranted, but surely they would be eager to crack on...maybe something like if the Zulu moves left or right, then they definitely move forward next time?

NB - I just noticed then solitaire rules state that if a Zulu unit starts adjacent to British troops then they stay for melee - I moved them from Zone 5 to Zone 4

British Fire Combat Phase
The British score 16 kills and a leader - and they gain another VP

Crucially they have beaten off the Zulu from the compound wall

Melee Combat Phase
There might be able to be melee at Zone H - but I thought I read somewhere that melee couldn't occur from there because the troops are on the roof. I can't find it though and surprise surprise, it's not mentioned in the melee rules...but it's there somewhere - I'm sure.

NB - I've just found the section that mentions no melee from the Storehouse Roof...It's on page 2 of the rules...not mentioned in the melee section at all.

British Bayonet Charge Phase
No bayonet charge. I did notice something though - in the optional rules...it states C.Sgt Bourne and 4 SP can perform a bayonet charge even if they have taken part in melee....so units can't bayonet charge if they have performed melee? Also - does a bayonet charge mean they move forward into the Zulu area? Do they push them back? No idea...again - why is a bayonet charge different to melee? The C.Sgt Bourne thing is an optional rule in that they aren't classed as leaders (except for movement using an optional rule which I am)...so they can for example move squads 2 zones but can't perform Volley Fire or bayonet charges - except with the optional rule.

Hospital Phase
No need - no Zulu near the Hospital

Victory Conditions
Zulu still have none but the British are now on 2.

Turn 5 next
There are not enough Zulu waiting to come on - so the British will have a slight lull in battle. Also they will have 2 much needed replacement points.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:24:02 PM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 03:29:54 PM
I've just switched on to the Bayonet Charge. Only British Officers can perform it with 4 SP, even if they have performed melee...C.Sgt Bourne is also allowed in the optional rules.

The reason it's different is because it persists until one side is destroyed or the British call it off. It was the persists until bit that threw me. I thought it meant it persisted each round. It's not...it means I continue my bayonet charge again and again and again until I call it off or beat the Zulu off...

The penny has dropeth!!!

Alba gu' brath

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 03:40:27 PM
I've just been reading the rules from the Worthington site  :bigthumb:

Not checked to see if there is a Vassal mod for this, but I can see how it would be an excellent 2 player game.

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 05:08:09 PM

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 05:26:17 PM
Turn 5

Thankfully, the Zulu do not have any replacements waiting.

The two squads in Zone G receive replacements to bring them up to full strength

British Movement Phase
This is the sitrep after the British movement.

You'll notice that the two reduced units from Zone G are now out of the aid station and in Zone C
I also moved AC Dalton from Zone K with the wounded unit to Zone C
You'll also notice that I moved Bromhead and the 3 reduced units from Zone D into Zone G - I had to use Bromhead to do this because the units were still two zones way from the aid station

Zulu Movement Phase
No reinforcements enter this phase.
I managed - at last - to get some forward movement.

The British score 19 hits this turn.

Zulu Random Fire Phase
The Zulu do not manage to score any hits with Random Fire

Melee Combat Phase
There is no melee

No bayonet charge

Hospital Phase

Victory Conditions
Zulu still have none but the British are now on 2.

Turn 6 next
There are 30 Zulu waiting to enter.....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:41:27 PM by judgedredd »

Alba gu' brath

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 05:41:05 PM
Turn 6

Two of the three squads in Zone G receive replacements to bring them up to full strength

British Movement Phase
This is the sitrep after the British movement.

Zulu Movement Phase
They gain reinforcements. I bring them in this time in 2 forces of 15 SPs. One enters in Zone 19 with a leader and the other enters in Zone 18 without a leader

The British score 17 hits this turn.

Zulu Random Fire Phase
I've decided to double up the Zulu Random Fire...it's a valid change mentioned in the manual. So they get to roll 12 dice instead of 6. They score 4 hits. I kind of regret that now. That's one unit destroyed (never to return).

I decide the Zone for each set of 6 on the roll of a die. I then decide, for each hit, which units take the hits...leaders being the last to receive a hit.

Melee Combat Phase
There is no melee

No bayonet charge

Hospital Phase

Victory Conditions
Zulu still have none but the British are now on 3.

Turn 7 next
There are not enough Zulu warriors waiting to enter next turn

Alba gu' brath

bbmike

• Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 05:48:33 PM
I have the urge to watch Zulu Dawn again.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy