Author Topic: MMP’s Day of Days full campaign  (Read 2090 times)

bbmike

• Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 06:09:48 PM
Why did you buy the version with the big map?  :hehe:

I like big maps and I cannot lie.

;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Corporal
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 10:15:06 PM
Preliminary naval bombardment and heavy bomber strikes before the landings are not fantastic, though realistic, but do manage to knock out a strongpoint/WN, 2 coastal batteries, 3 artillery batteries, and a couple of minor units.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 02:49:26 AM
Nice one Barth

This looks like an absolute monster.

The one thing I don't like - and it may be a standard of MMP games because Front Toward Enemy is the same - is the super harsh hex outlines.

Also - I know you won't love me for this - but those counters - if there was ever a reason to clip counters..... :ROFL:

Alba gu' brath

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 05:11:20 AM
Awesome, looks great!

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 06:42:58 AM
Nice one Barth

The one thing I don't like - and it may be a standard of MMP games because Front Toward Enemy is the same - is the super harsh hex outlines.

Also - I know you won't love me for this - but those counters - if there was ever a reason to clip counters..... :ROFL:

With 2200+ counters and 32 sq.ft of map, it is indeed a monster. But there are only 7 pages of SCS series rules and 8 pages of DoD game rules. So pretty light learning. And most of it is stock standard war gaming stuff for anyone who’s been playing for awhile.

Yeah, the hex lines don’t bother me, same as games of olde, but they are in yer face for sure.

At 1/2” size, clipping the counter would only make them smaller and harder to handle.  :P

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 06:43:16 AM

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 07:58:09 AM
Nice one Barth

With 2200+ counters and 32 sq.ft of map, it is indeed a monster. But there are only 7 pages of SCS series rules and 8 pages of DoD game rules. So pretty light learning. And most of it is stock standard war gaming stuff for anyone who’s been playing for awhile.

Yeah, the hex lines don’t bother me, same as games of olde, but they are in yer face for sure.

At 1/2” size, clipping the counter would only make them smaller and harder to handle.  :P
Really? On the manual stuff I mean? That sounds pretty nifty. Still can't put the board anywhere. I think that board requires more space than I have setup for my VR area  ;D

2200 counters? Yeah - I might even shy away from such a task

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:40 AM
Nice one Barth

Really? On the manual stuff I mean? That sounds pretty nifty. Still can't put the board anywhere. I think that board requires more space than I have setup for my VR area  ;D

2200 counters? Yeah - I might even shy away from such a task

Yep. You can download the SCS rules here: http://www.gamersarchive.net/SCS/SCS%20Rules%20v1.8%20-%20September%202015.pdf
And the game rules here: http://www.gamersarchive.net/SCS/Day%20of%20Days%201.02.pdf
The game rule book is larger because it contains all the scenario setup info, but the first 8 pages are the rules.

There's even a VASSAL module for it: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Day_of_Days:_The_Invasion_of_Normandy_1944

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 01:01:55 PM
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 10:33:36 AM
First wave is ashore!
First two turns of the game are special turns. Allies are landing troops on the beaches and para drops. Germans can only barrage the beach landings. Normal turns start with turn 3, where each turn is 1/2 day. Also not sure I mentioned the scale but most units are company sized, batteries for artillery, and each hex is about 700m.

Here is Sword beach. British Army and some Free French commandos have moved in off the beach making way for the second wave to land.
First picture shows the game state as it is. The DG markers indicate units/stacks that have been disorganized by barrages. This makes the fight at half strength. And over stacked hexes, like the beaches during landings, make units more vulnerable to losses during barrages.

I’ve added a second picture with the DG markers removed so you can see some of the actual units involved.

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 10:36:41 AM
Here is Juno beach.

Canadians make good progress with only a couple WN left in the way.

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 10:37:31 AM
Nice... how long are turns taking you about?

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 10:39:32 AM
And Gold beach.

More British Army units storm ashore. German defenders are stubborn in a few places and might cause problems later on.

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:18 AM
Nice... how long are turns taking you about?

Well, my first time playing and these first turns are specials, but about an hour for this first wave. I played the turn one phase at a time spread over a few days so hard to know for sure.

I except the second wave to be about the same, as even though I know what I’m doing now, there will be many more Allied pieces to move and fight with.