Author Topic: MMP’s Day of Days full campaign  (Read 2107 times)

Barthheart

• Corporal
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #75 on: January 10, 2021, 04:58:28 PM
And a closeup of the 82nd Airborne landing zones. They are doing a bang up job of keeping the German reinforcements from reaching the beachhead... but pressure is mounting.
Also, in the red circle, is a unit that should be out of supply that I didn't notice until looking at this photo. So many units....  :idiot2:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

• Lancer
Reply #76 on: January 10, 2021, 05:07:01 PM
Great read.

What are the DG counters?

Also - I just do not like MMPs hard hex sides. They are way too harsh!

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #77 on: January 10, 2021, 05:54:36 PM
DG = disorganized. Over stacked hexes are automatically disorganized. Stacks can also become disorganized as a result of enemy bombardment. Any units under a DG have all their stats halved, attack, defence, movement.

There is one step in the Allied phase where all DG counters, both sides, are removed from any stack that isn’t over stacked. This happens after the Allies move, so they get affected by DG for moving. The next action is Allied Bombardment followed directly by German Bombardment.

thecommandtent

• Trooper
Reply #78 on: January 10, 2021, 08:27:45 PM
Love this AAR especially the comparisons of your progress vs. historical progress on the beaches!

Martok

• Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #79 on: January 11, 2021, 02:03:15 AM
Love this AAR especially the comparisons of your progress vs. historical progress on the beaches!

Agreed, that's a nice touch.  :bigthumb:  I'm also impressed by how closely Barthheart's game has (thus far) matched up with the historical scenario overall. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #80 on: January 11, 2021, 06:19:52 AM

Agreed - that really is a an excellent presentation. :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #81 on: January 22, 2021, 01:06:44 PM
There was a publisher’s sale in November... they just arrived today.  :D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #82 on: January 22, 2021, 01:42:39 PM
Excellent  :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #83 on: January 22, 2021, 01:48:15 PM
I didn't notice before, but I like how every fifth hex is numbered. Really reduces the clutter on the map.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #84 on: January 22, 2021, 01:52:35 PM
Oh yes - good point, especially where the hexes are relatively small.

Martok

• Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #85 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:48 AM
There was a publisher’s sale in November... they just arrived today.  :D

Noice!! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #86 on: February 13, 2021, 02:18:30 PM
Ok 2 more turns complete, end of turn  6, takes us to the end of day June 7.

Starting with turn 5, both side now get limited Command Points. This simulates everything to do with trying to control such a large and vastly evolving campaign, from C&C to supplies to situational awareness. And it works well too IMHO. Each command point allows the activation, ie full movement and combat abilities, of formations. Non-activated formations can move, with some restrictions, but cannot initiate combats or bombardments.

So the Allies get broken in to 2 main commands, obviously, Commonwealth and US. The US is further broken down into V Corps, Omaha beach area, and VII Corps, Utah beach area and airborne landings. This subdivision of the US command stays in effect until there is an unbroken string of road hexes from The Omaha beaches to the Utah beaches free of enemy units and ZoC. Once this road link exists, they US commands will share a single, larger, pool of command points.
The Germans also get Command points but their panzer formations need 2 points to activate, while other formations need only 1.

The Command Point allotment increases slowly over time as the Allies get their beachhead supplies sorted and the German Command gets a better grip on what’s actually happening.

For June 7, turns 5(AM) and 6(PM), the Commonwealth gets 3 command points, each US Corps gets 1 point, and the Germans get 8.
Sounds good... except the Commonwealth has 9 formations spread across 3 beaches and the airborne landings areas. The US has 4 formations under V Corps and 4 formations under VII Corps. The Germans have a total of 2 panzer formations and 9 other formations.
What formations active are chose at the start of each turn. So you need to plan ahead on who’s attacking what where.

Now for some pics.
Here is VII Corps area of command. It includes the 4th Infantry Div, light blue band, 90th Infantry Div, brown band, 101st Airborne Div, thin yellow and black bands, and the 82nd Airborne Div, thin red,white, and blue bands.

They are facing off against the German 91st Infantry Div, light green band, 709th Infantry Div, light blue band, 243rd Infantry Div, green band, and the 6th Fallschrimjager Div., blue with green band.

Slow going trying to get to Carentan for the Yanks. The Germans are now set up behind the major river leading there.

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #87 on: February 13, 2021, 02:25:27 PM
Here is V Corps still trying to break out of Omaha beachhead. Here are the 1st Infantry Div, red band(of course), 29th Infantry Div., light blue and grey bands, 2nd Infantry Div., white band, newly arrived, and the combine 2nd & 5th Ranger Battalions, thin white band.
The Germans facing them are elements of the 352 Infantry Div, white band, 716th Infantry Div., mustard band, and the 30 Schnelle Brigade, maroon band.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:35:12 PM by Barthheart »

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #88 on: February 13, 2021, 02:34:51 PM
Next up is the Commonwealth Gold beach. Here we have 51st Infantry Div., blue band, 50th Infantry Div., red band, 56th Infantry Div., light green band, elements of 7th Armoured Div., yellow band, newly arrived, and elements of 4th RM Special Service, red with thin yellow band.
They are facing off against the entire 12th SS Panzer Div., black with brown band, elements of 352nd Infantry Div., white band, and some remnants of the 716th Infantry Div., mustard band.
The Brits are pushing hard but the rest of 12th Panzer is now on scene and it might turn into a grind.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:41:33 PM by Barthheart »

Barthheart

• Corporal
Reply #89 on: February 13, 2021, 02:40:04 PM
Juno beach area and the Canucks. Just the 3rd Canadian Infantry Div., tan with green band, and some elements of the 4th RM Special Service, red with thin yellow band.
4th RM is on clean up duty of bypassed strong points.
The Canadians have a different goal than their historical one. They are pointed at getting Carpiquet and it’s airport.

They are facing both 12th SS Panzer Div., black with brown band, and the 21st Panzergrenadier Div., tan band.