Author Topic: Hoplite  (Read 211 times)

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
on: January 04, 2021, 10:00:59 PM
Having been deep in the rules for a week or so, I finally learned and played my first game of Hoplite of the Great Battles of History series, really pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't describe myself as into ancients normally, but I do enjoy learning about the period of classical Greek warfare, and this game is REALLY good.

Battle of Ephesus is a Greek hoplite army, small, with a couple skirmishers. Persians get chariots, light cav, heavy cav, plenty of skirmishers to go around. But, their infantry is light. Basically, if the Greek formations crossing the open ground can survive the harassing fire facing them and maintain cohesion, once they come to grips with the Persian infantry, they should win out.

Alot of Greek units took significant hits to their cohesion in this one. One formation of hoplites that was running forward separated from the rest (they tend to all move at different speeds) was countercharged by what looked like an overwhelming amount of light infantry, taking them partially in flank. They held, and when a supporting Greek unit attacked in their support, a combat ensued in which the Greek army commander killed the Persian army commander in personal combat. It was at this point I was really starting to get into this game...

Persian heavy cav charged on the left, but wasn't quite enough. After the death of their commander, the Persian light infantry held on for a bit, but was driven from the field. I'm really looking forward to playing some of the bigger battles in this game.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
 :bigthumb:

Not a period I have any really knowledge about, but it looks interesting.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:50 PM
 :rockon:  I'm down for some HOT Greek-on-Persian action.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

TTC

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 04:18:55 PM
I love the GBOH series. If only there were more hours in the day and days in the year, I could fully explore it.

thecommandtent

• Trooper
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:53 PM
Looks like a fun intro to the series. Hope you post more when you try a bigger battle!