Author Topic: The Intel Dump!  (Read 14633 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #195 on: May 08, 2019, 01:47:03 PM
Oh good. another WWII grand strategy game  :D

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=806

huh?
Recreate World War II in every detail, thanks to the huge engine flexibility and database.
  :dunno:

Nope.

I don't want every detail of the firebombing of Dresden, the Bataan Death March, or the Holocaust, thankyouverymuch  :nope:

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #196 on: May 08, 2019, 02:40:40 PM
Oh good. another WWII grand strategy game  :D

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=806

huh?
Recreate World War II in every detail, thanks to the huge engine flexibility and database.
  :dunno:

Nope.

I don't want every detail of the firebombing of Dresden, the Bataan Death March, or the Holocaust, thankyouverymuch  :nope:

Looks like you won't have to worry about the Bataan Death March or any of the Pacific Theater. So much for "every detail".  ::)
Theatre: Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Mediterranean

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #197 on: May 08, 2019, 02:48:58 PM
Don't worry, they'll sell you the PTO later.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #198 on: May 09, 2019, 11:40:56 PM
I'm thinking Steve Jackson is either playtesting or launching a new version of Illumanti at Origins.  They have several "How to Play" sessions for a game released back in 1999.  Plus, Steve was talking about updating it when I spoke with him last year.

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #199 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:32 AM
It's great to see SJG is still going strong. Really liked their booth and staff the handful of times I've been to Origins/GenCon.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #200 on: May 10, 2019, 10:16:35 AM
It's great to see SJG is still going strong. Really liked their booth and staff the handful of times I've been to Origins/GenCon.

they don't have their own booth at Origins anymore. They are rep'ed by Atlas Games, and supply a couple of bodies to help staff it

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #201 on: May 10, 2019, 10:51:01 AM

they don't have their own booth at Origins anymore. They are rep'ed by Atlas Games, and supply a couple of bodies to help staff it

Not exactly.  They had their own big room last year.  They have the same this year.  They don't have a "sales booth," but they have a big presence this year and last year.  They approach this differently than most game companies - but there is a lot of variation between companies.

I'll compare three companies I'm very familiar with: Chaosium, Steve Jackson Games (SJC), and Goodman Games

Chaosium - has their own sales booth manned by their own people in the exhibit area.  They also sponsor writing contests for scenarios (Call of Cthulhu & Runequest) and then have those sponsored games run by supported volunteers.  Rogue Cthulhu has literally a ton (almost a full pallet) of freebies in support.  Chaosium also trolls their network to find additional GMs.  Chaosium provides both demo level games (1-2 hour) and full segment games (4 hours).  But every GM also gets free materials, and first pick of those.  Chaosium also provides a number of hotel rooms to key independents.  A very large amount of game space is devoted to Chaoisum products - although the Chaosium full time staff don't run them.  Summary: few employees, huge number of volunteers, massive number of games run by volunteers, massive product support to volunteers & participants (the prize table has to be seen to be believed), smallish direct sales booth.

Steve Jackson Games - Brings in corporate people (unknown about volunteers).  Has a reasonable size room where they run nonstop events plus information sessions with designers, etc....  No direct sales at the Con (unless they change this year).  If you look at the Ogre, Illumanti, Munchkin, etc... events almost all are being run by SJC.  Summary: Large number of employees, medium size dedicated space, no direct sales, average prizes for participants.

GoodmanGames - You get GM credit in their store for running events plus freebies to give out.  They have a smallish sales booth run by two regional employees.  They brought a couple of employees last year who ran some events.  This year they are running an official tournament (infamous 0-level kill-off) with their official tournament written by their staff.  They only run something like this at three Cons: GenCon, GarryCon and for the first time - Origins.  Summary: Weak volunteer support, good product support for volunteers, little/no dedicated space, direct sales booth.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #202 on: May 12, 2019, 12:45:18 PM
I looked over the exhibitor list and Steve Jackson Games has a moderate sized booth in addition to their gaming area.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #203 on: May 12, 2019, 02:36:57 PM
He's hitting a home run with The Fantasy Trip right now so I'm not surprised.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #204 on: May 12, 2019, 04:59:05 PM
I looked over the exhibitor list and Steve Jackson Games has a moderate sized booth in addition to their gaming area.

that is excellent. He hasn't been there in several years so it's good to see him coming back like this. I suspect it's like Mike said, capitalizing on the recent success of the revivals

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #205 on: May 14, 2019, 02:44:25 PM

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #206 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:36 PM

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #207 on: May 23, 2019, 09:09:55 PM

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #208 on: May 23, 2019, 09:31:10 PM
**drool**

That ain't gonna be cheap.....  :(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #209 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM
**drool**

That ain't gonna be cheap.....  :(

I think the pre-order price is $130USD