Author Topic: Found a used Xbox 360 at Goodwill. Game recommendations needed.  (Read 1583 times)

Staggerwing

• Lancer
I stopped at goodwill yesterday and found a white Xbox360 with power brick and nothing else. I know nothing about Xboxes including which ones to avoid but it was only $15 so I took a chance and brought it home. I found an extra universal AC cord and an HDMI cable and hooked it up to a TV. It seems to boot up to menu with no issues and it will play DVDs so I'm thinking it was just a cast-off rather than a bum unit. Looks like I'll need a controller and some games. So...

Will most USB controllers work 'well enough' or should I get the MS Xbox style controller only?

Any recommendations for good strategy games? Anything close to classic war-games?

Any good adventure-style games?

I'm not as big big a fan of shooters as I was 10-15 years ago but if there are any with a great story and don't require cybernetic reflexes even on wimp mode I'd be interested in those too.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:19:01 AM
... so I'm thinking it was just a cast-off stolen rather than a bum unit....

FTFY  >:D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:23:07 AM
It needs some serious cleanup so if someone nicked it they must have had it a while.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:34:25 AM
Hopefully that's all it needs. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I've never owned a console but I would run out and buy Red Dead Redemption right away. Of course, I bet the games will cost three times what you paid for the Xbox360.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
Which brings up another question- can newer xbox games play on a 360? Can older ones? For example, backwards compatibility across the various Playstations has been weird, even among version of the same generation (IE early PS3's could play PS2 games but later ones not, due to the elimination of the secondary PS2 chipset from later PS3's).  ???

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:03:06 AM
Good find, man.

You'll probably need an actual 360 controller. You should be able find them used and cheap at Game Stop or some place similar.
Xbox One games will not play on a 360. However, there are hundreds of 360 games and there are at least a couple hundred original Xbox games will play on the 360. There's a list of compatible games floating around the web.

Not much available for traditional wargames on XB. Lots of RPG/Adventure stuff. I recommend Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins for starters. You can also get Red Dead Redemption 1 for the 360. Any of those will give you dozens or hundreds of hours of gameplay.

The Halo games and Gears of War series are excellent shooters and not too bad if you drop the difficulty to easy.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:24 AM
Jade Empire is an older RPG by Bioware that is also excellent and I believe compatible with the 360. The gfx will be a bit dated, but it is a great game and well worth playing.

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:58:28 AM
Thanks guys.  :bigthumb:

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 01:44:56 PM
If you spring for a Gold membership, you will get a selection of different games every month.  I believe they are downloadable and free, but, even if you can't keep them, they are still free to play.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:48:28 PM
I have gold so my son can play Fortnite. The Games with Gold games are pretty good. Added Victor Vran last month and BF1 is available this month.

I don't think you can play them if your membership lapses. Not 100% sure though.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 01:50:35 PM
The other thing I don't know is how many 360 games are available through Gold. Honestly, I wouldn't have it if my son didn't need it

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 05:13:44 PM
It's been a long while since I was Gold, but, I believe you are correct on the not being able to play the Games with Gold if you aren't paid up.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Staggerwing

• Lancer
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 05:52:33 PM
Yeah, if I buy any games for this thing I want to be able have them on physical media.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 06:10:55 PM
What's the size of the hard drive? You may want to buy a bigger one. Again, check Gamestop for inexpensive used ones.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 06:28:12 PM
The Crimson Skies game was pretty good IIRC

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.