Author Topic: ACD team for GUWS competition?  (Read 1446 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: July 20, 2021, 09:04:02 PM
https://www.guwargaming.org/guwsevents/sail-amp-shot-captains-tournament

Sail & Shot: Captains’ Tournament is an online war game pitting 8 teams commanding squadrons of 19th century frigates against one another in fast & furious sea battles. Winners advance through three rounds till only one team rules the seas!  The game utilizes the Battle of Trafalgar rules by Table Top History and plays over Zoom with Google forms.

Register your team of up to 4 players at www.tabletophistory.net under Games/Distributed. Look for the Sail & Shot registration button under Battle of Trafalgar 1805, at the bottom of the page.  Use Passcode: NELSON1805.  Quarter finals are 1000 to 1400 EDT, 21 Aug.  Semi-finals and final will be held 22 Aug.  Zoom and Google Form links will be sent out after registration closes.

The tournament is limited to the first 8 teams registered with a maximum of 4 per team, 32 players overall.

Registration steps:

1.   Recruit a team of 2, 3 or 4 players and come up with a team name.

2.   Designate one team member as the “Commodore,” the rest are “Recruited Captains.”

3.   The Commodore first goes to the registration page per above and registers the team name.

4.   Once the team name has been registered, the remaining Recruited Captains can sign up separately with the team name.  Recruited Captains – DO NOT register before the Commodore has registered the team name!

5.   If you want to play, and are NOT already part of a team, you can register as a “Freelance Captain.”  Freelance captains will be queued in the virtual Sail & Shot Tavern.  Once registration closes, they are either placed into open spots on existing teams, or put together to form a new team, based on the order in which they registered.

Registration closes 1200 EDT, 20 Aug.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:44:09 PM
Anyone interested? Tabletop History is Pete Pellegrino, of the brilliant Anaconda game.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 04:54:50 PM
Anyone interested? Tabletop History is Pete Pellegrino, of the brilliant Anaconda game.

I was coming back around to ask exactly this.

Are some of y'all wanting to splash in their pool?  WE're getting hounded a bit on Twitter by the GUWS bubbas to get a team into the game.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • Hope is not a Course of Action
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 09:59:09 AM
I'm interested and I want to make sure I understand the time commitment. From what I can tell from the website, this is only happening during the weekend of Aug 21-22, correct? At first I thought there might be a round of games before the quarter-finals and semi-finals; however, if registration ends Aug 20th, that doesn't give any time for games before that weekend.

I am currently available the 21-22 of August. Mcguire, if you don't want to take the role of Commodore, I can take that role to get the registration process started. We only need two people to form a team, so the two of us could represent the ACD if you are still interested. I'm not sure if we can add other players after we register the teams. Hopefully the answer is yes. What do you think?

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 02:13:34 PM
I have nothing else planned that weekend. Sure, sign me up, Commodore. But I get to wear the eye-patch.

As for anyone else, remember, if you don't join in, Tolstoi and I will be representing you.

(I've been reading W.L. Rogers' Naval Warfare Under Oars lately, so I have some killer strategies. What we do is, we lash all of our ships together into one giant floating fortress and take them when they try to board. We could even hoist the small boats to the tops of the masts for archers and such!)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 03:59:12 PM
I have nothing else planned that weekend. Sure, sign me up, Commodore. But I get to wear the eye-patch.
Okay, I'll register the team name this afternoon. I'll let you know when I've done it. Brandt, should the team name be Armchair Dragoons? Mcguire, you can definitely wear an eye patch.  :pirate:

As for anyone else, remember, if you don't join in, Tolstoi and I will be representing you.

(I've been reading W.L. Rogers' Naval Warfare Under Oars lately, so I have some killer strategies. What we do is, we lash all of our ships together into one giant floating fortress and take them when they try to board. We could even hoist the small boats to the tops of the masts for archers and such!)
That sounds like an amazing strategy! However, I'm not sure archers are covered in the set of rules they plan to use.  :)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 04:40:41 PM
should the team name be Armchair Dragoons

I don't think there are any objections to using it, but don't feel like you're required to do so  8)

Good luck! :cowboy:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 05:00:42 PM

I don't think there are any objections to using it, but don't feel like you're required to do so  8)

Brant,  thank you for the clarification.

Mcguire, using ACD as the team name is easiest; however, if you want to suggest something else, let me know. If I don't hear anything from you by Friday morning of July 23rd, say around 0800 PST, I'll use ACD. If you have a different suggestion, please let me know.

ojsdad

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:38 PM
I'd join, but thats a bad weekend for me.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:58:45 AM

Brant,  thank you for the clarification.

Mcguire, using ACD as the team name is easiest; however, if you want to suggest something else, let me know. If I don't hear anything from you by Friday morning of July 23rd, say around 0800 PST, I'll use ACD. If you have a different suggestion, please let me know.

No, ACD is good with me.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 10:54:09 AM
Okay, The ACD is now a registered team for the Sail & Shot Tournament! There were only three other teams registered so far, so we are the fourth. According to the info, country and ship assignments will vary from round to round, so I have no idea what nationality we'll be playing. If we are indeed the 4th team to register for the tournament, then the bracket shows team four as the French for the first match. It also looks like auto elimination, so if we lose the first match, were done.

When you register, selected "A Recruited Captain and know the name of team I'm joining" and the Armchair Dragoons should be a choice for you to select. There is a link to the rules and other info. Please be aware, they are very clear:

There is no time allocated during the tournament for rules explanation!

We'll definitely need to familiarize ourselves with the game. There are videos that offer good explanations of how the game works. There is no ramming or boarding parties, only gun duels. Also, and this is important, we only get 3 minutes to submit our orders for each turn. If we decide to discuss something in a break out room, we need to be mindful of the time. If you don't submit in the 3 minute time frame, your ship keeps the current heading from last turn.

Once you register, you'll get all that info. I'll let you know when I've watch and read everything.

Fair winds!

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:58:08 PM
There is no ramming or boarding parties, only gun duels.

Well, poop. There goes my plans.

I'm registered!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 07:22:33 PM
No boarding parties? But if you are in transporter range, why not?!?  :o

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 10:18:34 AM
I'm registered!

Great! The game system seems simple enough. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to consider tactics sometime between now and the 21-22nd. I'll contact you early next week, directly via the email tool in the forums, to consider our game plan.

No boarding parties? But if you are in transporter range, why not?!?  :o

I know! The next thing they're going to tell us is we can't overload the cannons to get extra damage modifiers. Where's the fun in that?  :)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 10:47:51 AM
I'm registered!

Great! The game system seems simple enough. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to consider tactics sometime between now and the 21-22nd. I'll contact you early next week, directly via the email tool in the forums, to consider our game plan.

Howdy Mcguire - I tried contacting you via the forum email feature and then with a direct message and I'm not sure my messages reached you, because I didn't get a response. This short note is to let you now I'm going to be traveling between today and August 6th. If you are interested in discussing a game plan after the 6th, let me know and we can try to connect. Thanks!  :)