Author Topic: Stellaris AAR - (With Martok, Bartheart and Dave Pumphouse)  (Read 1169 times)

Dave Pumphouse

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 06:31:31 PM
Part 2

By the year 2250 the Scyldari Confederacy had built a sizable fleet of its new destroyers in order to check the imperial ambitions of any galactic empire wishing to challenge the status quo and by extension the will of the gods. Originally built to counter any challenge from the space lobsters, Scyldari diplomats and the priests on the sacred bench’s of the Scyldari parliament deemed that these sentient crustations of the deep were likely too far away to pose much of an immediate threat. Nonetheless it was barely the first year into the 2250’s when word of belligerents in the galactic neighbourhood reached the Scyldari homeworld.

The Bruggan Interstellar union had declared war on the Human United Federation of Planets! These so called pacifists who insisted on implementing their ill thought out will upon the federation through force. The Scyldari parliament immediately debated on the best course of action, those in the wealth promotion lobby calling for no rash action to be made by the Scyldari lest they be roped into a war that would drain valuable resources away from an emerging Scyldari middle class that since the discovery of all the wealth that could be harvested in neighbouring systems had bettered themselves and quickly developed a thriving civilian commerce system. The Alien Freedom Party agreed that offering aid to the Federation of Planets was a more acceptable route in order to assist. The Alliance of the Exalted Clery on the other hand called for intervention, that the federations independence must be guaranteed and while still in control of the growing Scyldari navy and still having the support of the majority of the population, quickly issued diplomats in order to sign a blank check to the federation. Whilst not enlightened, the federation threatened by the nasty Bruggan Interstellar Union and their warped form of pacifism was an afront to any rules based society and had to be protected.

Navy personnel were recalled from the prayer rooms, kissed their family’s goodbye and all shore leave was revoked for those below the rank of cardinal. Ships were given overhauls and last minute upgrades and set course for Federation space. Word had it that our neighbours the YV' ZORAK CONFEDERATION had also guaranteed the federations independence and allowed access through their space due to our joint altruistic mission!

Meanwhile the Scyldari eyed with great interest into expanding into the galactic south. Having no rivals in that direction the vast wealth and exotic goods was this civilisations opportunity for the taking. Such things as Exotic Gas and Living Metal were found in abundance, what was more was the black hole known as ‘Heavens Gate’ that would form the centre of the civilisations empire. Once an observable anomaly in the distant past on the Scyldari home world that philosophers, scientists, poets and kings had described and pondered upon in countless texts over the centuries, now harboured a sacred research temple devoted to learning its secrets so that the galaxy and thus the greater garden of Eden could be better protected from those who would see it harm. 

The Scyldari also integrated themselves in something called the ‘Galactic Council’ a community of a number of races that could be found in the galaxy and quickly found themselves the Naismith of the community. Though it was a clear opportunity to see how the Gods plan had developed and took hold in the wider galaxy, it was clear that the Scyldari were the only ones of pure mind and thought to uphold the sacred texts as they had been written.

A number of motions were brought forth in front of the Galactic Council and the delegation of Scyldari sent to negotiate and ‘teach’ the sacred texts to the other races it was clear to see that there was a lot of work to do.

Bill for Intergalactic trade organisation – whilst there were those in abstention The Scyldari opposed (purely from a position of not bolstering those at home who valued wealth over piety)

Bill for the Abolition of Slavery and Charter of Workers Rights – The Scyldari surprisingly being the only civilisation to believe strongly enough that a persons rights were ordained by the gods and not by some mortal decree. The great diplomat Reverend La-Glainguie regaling the galactic community with an amazing speech recital that lasted a blessed 16 hours of how ‘Work will set you free’ that ushered an hour long applause from the Scyldari faithful in the diplomatic halls. Not so much other members of the community who’s faith was obviously lacking. No matter though… as so long as one stayed true to their beliefs and of course the scared texts all would find comfort in their work, no matter how arduous! However bringing the rest of the galaxy into the Scyldari way of thinking and by extension complying to the sacred texts would be an arduous task indeed… one that only the true faithful and purest of belief would succeed.

The 2250’s also saw a slight shift in political thought amongst the Scyldari… by the mid 50’s a sizable portion of the population (as an increase in wealth had led to avenues of frivolity and hedonistic activity) started attending artistic events that led to a group called ‘The Manifesti’ to emerge. What started as music festivals and carnivals amongst the youth in and around the old street corner temples on Scyldari quickly manifested into something that the Scyldari parliament on the sacred benches recognised as a threat to international security. Some Scyldari who were led astray quickly spent more time listening to music and attending party’s rather than prayer and confession, calling for dancing to be allowed in the sacred cathedrals of the faith. Therefore a quick and swift clampdown on these so called ‘Manifesti’ was required… ringmasters and instigators were soon rounded up by enforcers and thrown into the confession rooms to be purged of their heretical thoughts. Some known followers also put into re-education and flagellation programmes to ensure future compliance with holy doctrine. After which vandalism and civil unrest appeared to be checked and the majority of the populace grateful not to be led further away from the rest of the flock. So called ‘art’ was purified or kept in the faults of the most holy, ready to be re-fashioned into holy relics at a later date or of course kept in order to scrutinise so in the future such deviation from the faith could ‘Better recognised more efficiently’.

By 2257 the grande fleets of Scyldari had fully integrated themselves into the war plans of the Federation acting as a support fleet in its attacks to reclaim systems lost to the nasty Bruggans. These fleets fought well with their Federation counterparts, cardinals hosting Federation admirals on some of our strongest war ships. Admiring the Federations flagship that was of peculiar design… much larger and blessed with greater firepower than the destroyer class, these humans named it a cruiser. Awed by the design and military capability of the so called cruiser Scyldari cardinals and war planners quickly got to work in sending news back to the Scyldari home world, commissioning plans to be drawn up and resources to be spared for our own cruiser project!

In a swift campaign lasting no more than 3 months the joint forces of the Scyldari Confederacy and United Federation of Planets smashed the fleets of the Bruggan Interstellar Union and pushed borders back to pre-war positions. In this endeavour the Scyldari only lost one Corvette and were surprised at the relative ease of the task… surely god was truly on their side! However after this attack the Scyldari fleets had to withdraw back to Scyldari space in order to repair and refit… a chance for sailors who had spent long way from home to return to their families to be told of the carnivals and heresy that had been quashed in their absence. And no sooner had the last UV-Laser had been placed onto the last Corvette… The Federation decided to settle for a white peace, content that its borders were reclaimed and secured! Grateful for the help that the Scyldari had offered at a trying time for their empire.

The Scyldari parliament however took this conditional peace between the belligerent Bruggans and Humans as a sign of relative weakness in faith on part of the Federation… no matter as their faith would be reinforced and bolstered in due time! Yet the threat from the ‘Aggressive-Pacifists’ of the Bruggan Interstellar Union remained and the Scyldari elected to continue this now Holy War to check the Bruggans ambitions and to truly show the nasty Bruggans the error of their ways by introducing the word of the sacred texts by way of the sword! These Bruggans must be taught the way of the gods for the benefit and peace of the galaxy!

By 2264 the entirety of the theological republic of the Scyldari Confederacy rejoiced… for the time had come! Years of observing and directing the culture of the Beldross race on their home world of Uthan III had come to a culmination, the great sacred benches decided that it was time to uplift this civilisation into the stars so that they may too complete their destiny. A once warlike race had over the last 60 years had undergone a massive demographic and philosophic shift, copies of the sacred texts finding their way into education, entertainment and political institutions in order to teach them the true way of the gods. Quickly the small, fractured nation states and conglomerates declared peace and pooled their resources to better the lives of their people. And by 2264 it was time for the Scyldari to help them take the next logical step into the stars for the Beldross to answer their true calling!

Whilst still at war with the Bruggans, The Great Beldross Empire as they named themselves started immediately to produce armies to bolster and support the Scyldari Confederacy… ready to answer the call to war from the gods themselves! Ready to be welcomed as a new warrior class, as was written… in the sacred texts themselves!           

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 07:03:04 PM
How do you have time to write half a novel in the time since y'all played today?!?!

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 01:29:56 AM
He has his own pocket dimension.  Time flows differently there. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 06:31:47 AM
Yeah, I’m now convinced that Dave is a synthetic life form that needs no sleep or other other mortal distractions.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Dave Pumphouse

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 12:07:27 PM
How do you have time to write half a novel in the time since y'all played today?!?!

I enjoy it! Writing up something on the back of what happened while its fresh in my mind... i could have included a lot more. Scientific breakthroughs, expansion into the south, wider colonisation of the galaxy off these Beldross people (i am oceanic, they are continental) so it allows for greater growth.

I am enjoying the game after not playing it for years! And i guess you can tell i am trying to convey a story of a somewhat corrupt church that justifys its actions in order to protect itself that is confronted with things in the wider galaxy that it doesnt quite understand. But also at the same time a civilisation that recognises its potential to be a major player in the galaxy that has a great chance to expand and with that power a great chance to exert its influance. On addition i am not trying to act as an a agressor to my fellow players and trying to assist where i can in the name of having a good game... true to my outward portrayal of my civilisation that can be argued is not quite the same as to how i conduct interior matters  :)

At the start i wanted to be like space venice with a good economy and can lend its army to those who needed it... but now i see the favourable position i am in geographically speaking i think i'm gonna be more like space China :D

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 04:36:54 PM
Space China is a pretty good analogy, given your overall situation.  But does that then make the Kithin Empire the equivalent of Space India?  :P 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 08:51:38 PM
Yeah, I’m now convinced that Dave is a synthetic life form that needs no sleep or other other mortal distractions.

This

Dave Pumphouse

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 05:33:01 PM
Part 3

Shorter one this week. But after a pause of play, Barthheart, Martok and myself returned this bank holiday weekend to continue the saga. The following is a brief of what happened from the view of the Scyldari Confederacy.

By 2266 the galaxy after much debate in the galactic senate and much to the surprise of some decided to grant the Scyldari with being the hub of intergalactic trade. Many a dignitary from one of the many small and large empires strewn across the galaxy casting their vote for the benevolent and theocratic Scyldari… for who couldn’t you trust more with the health of the galaxies economy than a priest?

On the other hand as the ‘Great Beldross Empire’ emerged into the stars under the protective wing of the Scyldari confederacy. The great shipyards churning out corvettes and destroyers with great speed in order to bolster the military might of the now combined races. The Beldross it seemed were most industrious, putting forward all their planetary resources to the cause.

To the galactic north the Holy Scyldari fleets engaged with the theocratic war. Its brave fleets taking a handful of Bruggan systems and a vital starbase in which to resupply and repair near the front. Its skilful admirals defeating easily the ships of the Bruggans at a rate of casualties of at least 1:5, however the Bruggans themselves proved most industrious themselves, their workers replacing ship loses as fast as they could build them. It soon became apparent that this was a war of sheer attrition and will. The problem the Scyldari faced was that it took nearly 2 years for replacements to travel from Scyldari space to Bruggan space… thus the Scyldari could not penetrate deep enough before having to retreat to safe harbour and repair.

The military situation thus caused the grand priests of the Scyldari confederacy to re-think its strategy with regard to the question of how the Beldross would fit within society. Originally (though not known to the Beldross) it was the thought by those on the Holy benches that due to their first observed savagery at first contact that the Beldross would make perfect soldiers. However at least 3 generations had passed since then and the direct interference from the Scyldari had on the development of the Beldross meant that the mindset of these once primitives were changed forever. When it once was that this race was primitive and aggressive in nature, now the grandchildren of great warrior kings were seen in the cloisters and banking houses, the great weapons of war repurposed to build space stations and ships that would fuel an empire that would stretch the stars. The grand priests recognised this and decided that when the time came for the Beldross to become fully integrated into the confederacy that they would be welcome as full citizens… not just soldiers.

During this shift of thinking the decision was also made to award the Beldross with their second system. A colony ship commissioned by the tithes of the holy was loaded with holy pioneers and supplies in order to stake a claim on the Yrogglia system. The Beldross ever grateful for their uplifting by the Scyldari and the benevolent gift of a second planet to call home all the while making the Scyldari and its holy mission stronger.

Unfortunately however by the year 2270 the war exhaustion with the Buggans had hit 100%. Inflation within the Scyldari home systems started to rise as every alloy and mineral spare was diverted for the ever growing need to reinforce fleets engaged in the decades long war that was not achieving its goal of enforcing theocratical submissiveness of the Bruggans. The quartermaster generals having to suffer the ire of the priesthood as they struggled to balance the war effort with a stagnating expansion effort with respect to systems not already claimed within the local neighbourhood and galactic south.

By 2271 the United Federation of Planets (Bartheart) and its so called council had elected to re-join the war with the Bruggans, systems that were lost a decade earlier to the Bruggans seen as a valid casus belli to declare war again! And with that… The Scyldari after a few more months acting as a holding force for the Federation to get in position, chose to metaphorically tag out… Its populace exhausted from over 15 years of conflict and a proportion of its fleet outdated decided to head for home. Thus a white peace treaty was drawn up on vellum and duly signed by each the Bruggans and The Scyldari. Yet its fleets and proud crews could hold their head up high in that it had fulfilled its duty in supporting the United Federation of Planets as best it could, entering a conflict in good faith for it to evolve into a Holy War against the heathen Bruggans. Scholars and historians in later years would describe those fleets as the shield in which the Bruggans smashed against whilst protecting the United Federation of Planets, giving them enough time to develop bigger and better fleets in which to reclaim their rightful systems.

Whilst travelling back the 2 years back to port the grand fleet had to travel through YV' ZORAK CONFEDERATION (Martok). The proud empire of avian like race… only to be contacted by human at the head of their government. Much to the surprise of the Scyldari, years of immigration from humans of the United Federation had caused demographic shift and somehow a human had gotten into the highest levels of government. Quite a shock for most of the crews involved… 15 years earlier the space had solely been avian, not human. On the way, making stop visits to Yv’ Zorack space stations making contact with a Yv’ Zorack archaeologist who gave an artifact to a passing admiral.

A bigger shock was to see the changes that happened at home. The grand fleet when it reached anchorage on the Scyldari homeworld were greeted by a truly magnificent site. The now old and battered ships look positively ancient compared to the new ones coming out of dock, the old destroyers of the grand fleet that were built and designed especially for the war with the Bruggans now dwarfed by deadly Cruisers that were seen to be built in the extended planetary dockyards Beldross. Their weapons made from Mk.IV Lasers and state of the art railguns, its hull more durable and its shields glimmering with the Holy shields, seemingly eons away from some of the technology that these now primitive craft had been sent out with.

In the years afterwards and with resources spare The Scyldari confederacy managed to (on the back of careful trades and being the focal point for the galactic market) recover its economy and continue to expand its borders. But all the while rumblings of malcontent started heat up in the politics of the confederacy. As after the war a new political party had arisen within the Holy Benches, Hawkish Holy men who had lamented at the mismanagement of the war and the wasted resource that the Beldross could have been affecting future expansionist policies of the Scyldari… Where it would take the civilisation would yet to be seen…

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 09:20:17 PM
Part 3

By 2271 the United Federation of Planets (Bartheart) and its so called council ...

"So called" ?!?  :waiting:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Dave Pumphouse

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 06:02:29 AM
Part 3

By 2271 the United Federation of Planets (Bartheart) and its so called council ...

"So called" ?!?  :waiting:

We only recognise the authority of the priesthood :)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 12:31:50 PM
 ;D