Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 29489 times)

judgedredd

Reply #165 on: November 05, 2021, 07:40:13 AM
You could see a long doing that..."I've got the treasure...now you lot keep them at bay whilst I bugger off"

Nice minis pal...really good. I started painting my Alien minis but stopped because I did what I always do...over think the process - essentially debating in my head the correct colours to use for the marines rather than just doing what I think would be absolutely fine given the scale. So I've got a load that are primed and waiting paint

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #166 on: November 05, 2021, 10:08:15 AM
I'm going to start painting my Shadows of Brimstone minis this weekend, though I don't know even where to begin (three core sets, three expansions plus two more coming in, lol). I'll probably start with Forbidden Fortress.

Plus, I'm no painter, so this should be interesting.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #167 on: November 05, 2021, 01:19:45 PM
You could see a long doing that..."I've got the treasure...now you lot keep them at bay whilst I bugger off"

Nice minis pal...really good. I started painting my Alien minis but stopped because I did what I always do...over think the process - essentially debating in my head the correct colours to use for the marines rather than just doing what I think would be absolutely fine given the scale. So I've got a load that are primed and waiting paint

You’re right - just jump in - I enjoy the process much more than the result - pick a scheme and stick to it

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #168 on: November 05, 2021, 01:20:20 PM
I'm going to start painting my Shadows of Brimstone minis this weekend, though I don't know even where to begin (three core sets, three expansions plus two more coming in, lol). I'll probably start with Forbidden Fortress.

Plus, I'm no painter, so this should be interesting.

Love those minis - send pics!!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #169 on: November 05, 2021, 02:01:44 PM
Just start putting the brush to min and try not to over think it. It gets easier and your skills will get better as you paint more.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #170 on: November 05, 2021, 02:17:51 PM
Happy to share some pics...I think it would be interesting to document too, just from an attempt standpoint.

I once tried to paint a platoon of Warhammer marines many years ago, but I had no idea what I was doing and knew nothing of WH40k...much less had any intent of playing it, lol. This game, though, intrigues the hell out of me and I'm thinking even a bad paint job has more visual appeal than gray figures.

One of the big guesswork things for me is, figuring out what balance I need for washes. I almost bought a set of washes but thought, why would I do that when I can just do water to thin out the paint? That'll be some serious trial and error but I think it'll be fun finding that balance.

edit: Well crap, the sprue cutter I ordered just arrived, as did the magnets (20mm) and tray I'm going to use to store the minis. I wasn't expecting all this until tomorrow. Guess I might get started painting tonight!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:50:19 PM by BanzaiCat »

judgedredd

Reply #171 on: November 05, 2021, 05:17:39 PM
I don't want to derail the thread...but also I use tamiya acrylics which aren't great for brush painting. I should invest in some miniature paints...but I don't do it often

Anyway...I'll bite the bullet and get them done

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #172 on: November 05, 2021, 06:23:06 PM
One nice thing about 1:6000 naval minis: Prime them in grey, slather on some black wash so they don't look entirely like grey blobs, and bob's your uncle.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #173 on: November 05, 2021, 06:25:15 PM
I thought he was my uncle, already?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #174 on: November 10, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
Nice job as usual, 'geek:notworthy:  A shame Timmy cares more about the letter than the spirit of the rules, but at least you put him on notice that he won't be able to rely on his beloved Horse-lords forever.  (Personally, I derive little satisfaction or joy in "winning" that way, and so I don't try.) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #175 on: November 11, 2021, 02:17:43 PM
Long live Rohan!

Mostly because it’s one of the armies I’m working on…😄

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #176 on: November 11, 2021, 02:46:52 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #177 on: November 11, 2021, 04:21:13 PM
Booooooooo

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #178 on: November 25, 2021, 09:40:40 AM
Games night - a still smarting Timmy brings out the Rohan again - to be fair hes entering a tourney with them and is trying different tactics and ideas and im the sparring partner - I take Azog, because he terrifies him

On the right flank, prob 70% of his force - the only problem with my force is theres only 2 groups, compared to his 5, even if he loses the roll off at the start he can put down small bands to see where the majority of my forces are going and then place accordingly. If i win the roll off and place first theres no way for me to mask my intentions and he can change his set up on the fly. This game been a classic case of the problem, i put the hunters down first - he points all his horses at them, with the intention to sweep through them and flank azog

So hunters down, and he plonks theoden, gamling, eomer and durnhelm plus riders at the boys - the hunters fared brilliantly last turn becauuse he came in small groups, a full on Pellenor type charge will be a different thing  :(

On the left flank i make a mistake, here he places a captain and a rider and i stupidly put the majority of the trolls and ogres and beserkers over there to get him - the scenario after all is to try and kill the heroes but this takes away any intimidation my right flank might have, no ogres or trolls and azog sat in the middle - he has no fear of this band and all his men are pointing at them

That been the case he rides straight thru the hunters - just bad rolls really - each mounted rider has the same attacks as a hunter but if he wins the fight the orc is knocked down and prone and has double the attacks so 4 to wound dice - i set it up so the majority of fights should be 2 orcs versus one horse but because most of his force is here it means its mainly 1v1 - not the maths ratio im aiming for. He also gets spectacularly lucky with his spear throws - Rohan can throw a spear one inch from the attack before crashing into the fight - he needs a 5 to hit and a 5 to wound and makes them all, to the extent he has to apologise halfway through, done brilliantly however as orcs in the way of him getting to Fimbul are speared down before the fight giving him access to the hunter captain

With the hunters mown down Timmy goes for the thing he fears most - the stumpy stomper which could effectively wipe out his front line - hes tough and strong but has no chance here - he goes down

With that my force is considered broken, down to 50% of its start value - to move everything now the model needs to pass a courage test and these are orcs, the remaining troll, and ogre and 3 beserkers fail and walk off the board - of my starting 800 points, 245 just left because theyre scared!

Time to redress the balance - Azog charges Durnhelm, a pain in the ass in every game, he gets to reroll missed spear throws, reroll missed wounds so hes getting it. Unfortunately Timmy calls Heroic Defence - meaning no matter how many wounds i cause i can only damage him on a natural 6 - i cant roll a 5 and use might to make it 6 - it has to be a 6 on the dice, Azog has 3 wound dice - the little w**ker gets away with it twice but i get him eventually when he runs out of might to use for the defence

And in the end it comes to this - Azog versus the rest of his force - thankfully if you kill a hero you get one might back, so Azog can use might to win the fight no matter how many hes fighting, kill a hero, get the might back and off we go again - doing this he kills Theoden, Gamling, a captain and a few cannon fodder - in the end he falls to Eomer the end score been 4-2 to Timmy

Lessons learned are to keep the trolls next to the hunters and then move them among them to cause terror in the riders and to just pay more attention to the set up

changes considered are dropping a troll and Fimbul and bringing in Bolg, Azogs son, same stats as Azog, less than a troll but able to use might to address any wayward dice throws, plus he gets scarier and scarier the more he kills, and hes mounted so no cavalry charge advantage against him

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #179 on: November 25, 2021, 09:48:22 AM
Awesome!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'