Author Topic: "Spring in Munich" Game time is...  (Read 3630 times)

Advocator (Scott)

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #90 on: July 06, 2019, 10:05:09 AM
Invading your Kriegsspiel ever so briefly.

Just saw a rather well done video about Kriegsspiel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-seIA9tukDs&feature=youtu.be
  Very well done history of the game in about 15 minutes.

Right, I leave you to your gaming. 

Vive la France!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #91 on: July 06, 2019, 10:10:30 AM
That’s an excellent video. I posted it on my blog a few days ago. 

It does make me wonder...that video, and many period drawings, depict the participants gathered around a single table, not off in separate spaces. I’m getting the impression that Von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel maybe wasn’t played quite the same way we’ve been playing.

No peace without Lutha!

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #92 on: July 06, 2019, 10:11:51 AM

It does make me wonder...that video, and many period drawings, depict the participants gathered around a single table, not off in separate spaces. I’m getting the impression that Von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel maybe wasn’t played quite the same way we’ve been playing.

That just means you've improved it!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #93 on: July 06, 2019, 10:18:03 AM
That may be the case. It may also be that we’ve complicated it.  ???

No peace without Lutha!

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Trooper
  • AKA Kriegsspiel 6
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #94 on: July 06, 2019, 01:42:11 PM

The modern photos represent life goals for me.  My kind of crazy.  They’ve been around for years and I’ve never been able to suss out  who they are and what palace let them in.

You don’t have to play the KS double-blind,  of course, but you can’t doubt from the rules themselves that that’s how they’re intended to be played.  There were fellows at Historicon that ran 1824 minis games.  Interesting exercise, but, frankly, I’ve always found the move to contact the most interesting.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #95 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:11 PM
Interesting exercise, but, frankly, I’ve always found the move to contact the most interesting.

I as well...and this is what puts us in the "niche of a niche" category.

No peace without Lutha!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #96 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:42 PM
0930 19 April 1809.

Yes, we jumped two hours. We have a lot of movement, but no one in contact as of yet. Keep in mind that I may do two, three, or even four hour turns in the interest of moving the game to action. You'll want to write your orders from this perspective. Figure you're providing direction for the day, not hour-by-hour. When something happens, that then may trigger order updates. Otherwise, formations are moving to carry out their existing orders.

In that spirit, we'll have another turn Wednesday evening.

No peace without Lutha!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #97 on: July 17, 2019, 10:27:03 PM
...1130 19 April 1809

Thanks to everyone for getting orders and dispatches into me quickly. It makes it MUCH easier to keep things rolling.

A reminder/request: If you send the same dispatch to more than one recipient (and it is much appreciated that you are all sending me those as individual emails) it can be very helpful to your fellows to know that you sent the message to someone else. In the message, putting in something like "Copies to XXX" lets them know that others have also received the message.

Next turn will be Friday, assuming we don't all just spontaneously combust from the heat.

No peace without Lutha!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #98 on: July 23, 2019, 10:27:54 PM
...1230 19 April 1809

If you didn't receive a messenger or an update from me, your situation is unchanged, If you need a SITREP, let me know!

No peace without Lutha!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #99 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:19 PM
...1430 19 April 1809

We've jumped two hours again. There was a fair amount going on in terms of movement and positioning this turn, and a good bit of die rolling. I've allowed various commanders to detach small cavalry units for specific missions beyond the generic 10KM radius patrols. Like messengers, I've been rolling to see if these small cavalry detachments come to grief as a result of cavalry skirmishing.

The next turn will be an hour - things are on the verge of happening. My intent is to process the turn Sunday. I'll be out of town from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon and away from my gaming computer.

As always, if you received not messages or updates from me, your situation is unchanged.

No peace without Lutha!

panzerde

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Jr Lancer
  • Where's my lighter?
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #100 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:59 PM
1530 19 April 1809

Apologies for this turn taking a bit longer to get to you than I had hoped. I had car trouble coming home from Ohio on Sunday and then some minor oral surgery on Monday. Yesterday all I wanted to do was get liquored up to recover from the prior two days!

As always, unless you received an update from me, your situation remains the same.

I've been reading Prelude to Waterloo again, mulling over just how completely confused the messaging during the campaign and how this directly impacted Quatre Bras and Ligny. It was a lot more dangerous to be a staff officer carrying messages to a general in combat than our game portrays. If we did what seems historical, an awful lot of messages would never arrive!

No peace without Lutha!