Author Topic: Monty's Red Headed Step Child ( Or Market Garden) GMT's Holland 44  (Read 237 times)

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Turn 1
September 17 1944 PM

British armoured XXX Corp masses in Belgium looking to strike north into Holland, thus opening up a supply route that would enable the Allies an opportunity to push into the western parts of Germany.

The scene early on the 17th.

XXX Corp encounters  early resistance as it heads towards it's first objective of Eindhoven.

Lead armoured batallion takes a step loss from a determined German defender,  but forges on. Broken machinery and men litter the highway (signified by the +2 markers under the lead British units)

North of Eindhoven the 101st attempt to secure some sort of clear path across the Wilhelmina canal. Germans surrounding the bridge are quick to blow all three crossings ensuring that allied bridging units will have to push up quickly. Three battalions from the Wehrmacht army are also swift to react and are threatening the 101st just outside of Best.

82nd Airborne has a better time of things. Pushing into the outskirts of Nijmegen while also securing two roads across the Maas- Waal canal. However elements of the German 406th Division have begun to filter into the battle and are threatening US forces south east of Nijmegen.

Finally the British 1st Airborne have encountered stiffer resistance than they imagined with SS troops present in Arnhem. The balance up north will be initially to defend incoming drop zones while also looking to secure the main crossing into Arnhem itself. (I cannot believe they dropped these guys so far away from their objective!!)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:59:46 AM by monashmofo »

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
No pics showing.... booo….  :(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Cyrano

• Jr. Trooper
  • AKA Kriegsspiel 6
    • Kriegsspieler
No pics showing.... booo….  :(

Agree!

Very much wanted to see this!

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

bbmike

• Jr Lancer
Tough crowd.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Hmmm. I can see them on different devices. I'm using google photos to host the photos. Might try a different service. Will look when I finish work tonight.

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Yup, not seeing them either, sorry.

I have this game here with me but never cracked it open.

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Doing some research. Seems that Google photos is a little sketchy when used within forums. I'll move the photos Photobucket  this evening and also get through another turn.

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Ok. Feels free to boo me roundly again if no photos are showing!!! I switched to Flickr. Everything looks fine on my end, but it also did when I used Google Photos so fingers crossed.

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
Pics!  :applause:

Just starting to learn this game myself. So far I like it. Just enough rules to get the proper feel of the operation but easy to remember and plays fast once you get going.

Looking forward to comparing your progress to mine.... I did use the rule book example for the first turn though....

bbmike

• Jr Lancer
Oooooh, what lovely rounded corners!  :applause:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
Oooooh, what lovely rounded corners!  :applause:

Be quiet!  >:(

Cyrano

• Jr. Trooper
  • AKA Kriegsspiel 6
    • Kriegsspieler
Clearly someone who respects the hobby.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Turn 2
September 1944 Night

Germans begin to hinder the Allied advance. Kampfgruppe Richter and the 6th Penal Battalion ambush the Guards as they head towards Eindhoven. This will ensure that the lead allied tanks will be locked in battle and unable to move during the upcoming morning turn.

101st Airborne take up a defensive position looking to hold on to the crossing at Best and the important crossroads at St Oedenrode. German forces however are starting to build, especially on the outskirts of Best.

Nijmegen's German defenders are up against it as the 82nd airborne advances into small towns just outside of the city. To the south east we can see elements of the German 406th attempt to punch through a hefty American defensive line.

Situation in Arnhem is already dire. Bulk SS numbers have already fortified the city with the British 1st Airborne  in for a decent scrap as they look to move into the Dutch city.

monashmofo

• Fresh Recruit
Turn 4
September 18th 1944 PM

(Prior to German movement and combat on this day)

30th Corp roll into Eindhoven, ending German occupation of the Dutch city, opening a vital conduit to the north.

German forces stand strong against the US 101st Airborne just north of Best. A lot of work to be done as the Americans look to link up with 30th Corp.

Nijmegen is almost in allied hands with the 82nd airborne engaged in vicious urban warfare.  Kampgruffe Henke providing the solitary resistance in the northern sector of the city.

Progress around Arnhem as the British 1st Airborne has gained a tenuous toehold in the western part of the city. It is vital the allies push remaining SS troops from the city and solidify roadways from the south.

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
    • Armchair Dragoons
that map is gorgeous. Makes me want to break out my copy :P

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.