Author Topic: GAMA News  (Read 269 times)

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
on: January 11, 2019, 05:00:29 PM
I wondered about Brant's year in recap discussion of GAMA problems.  GAMA is a trade organization for the game industry.  It sponsors Origins.

A long running participant resigned as an emeritus board member:
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42184/mike-stackpole-gama-board-is-broken

There was also a member survey which supported keeping John Ward (despite Origins inability to have a decent registration system among other issues).

This led me to use the term GAMA to search icv2.com website.  GAMA has a new executive director who has been a gamer.  Better, he has successfully led large nonprofit charity events.  I realize that his experience running 100,000 participant nonprofit events does not cover a game registration system.  But hopefully this guy can get Origins running in a smoother fashion than John Ward ever did.

The icv2.com site was an interesting assortment of gaming and other nerd industry news.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:04:59 PM
I know there is a lot of support within the GAMA membership to hire a third party to run the cons on their behalf, and get the main staff back to focused on being a trade organization

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33:24 PM
I doubt if anyone here would be unhappy if they fired whomever has been screwing up game registration and replaced them with someone with minimal competence.

panzerde

• Trooper
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 01:20:16 PM
I doubt if anyone here would be unhappy if they fired whomever has been screwing up game registration and replaced them with someone with minimal competence.

Hear, hear. Keep the organization staff doing what they are supposed to be doing - running the trade organization - and get someone in that knows how to run events. Origins is far too large for the volunteer approach they''ve been taking to work. People and companies drop a lot of money to be at this event. The screwed up registration system is inexcusable.

No peace without Lutha!

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:16:24 PM
I don't think much will change this year, except perhaps some better load-testing on the servers.  But that's b/c the new leadership hasn't been in place very long, and had GTS already breathing down their throats.

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:04 PM
What is "GTS?"

I would also suggest they kill the literary track.  SF Literature has become a SJW battleground and Origins and GAMA are about games, not books.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:49:58 PM
GAMA Trade Show