Author Topic: US Pacific Campaign: Order of Battle WW2  (Read 2859 times)

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 09:49:03 AM
Haha, nice.  :bigthumb: 

Referencing a comment you made in the the post-analysis, why *didn't* you then send the carriers with TF-UFO South?  Was it because you already knew that it would work, and wanted to see what a riskier/more aggressive approach might accomplish?

I've played every scenario in this campaign at least 6 times.  I keep trying new, plausible strategies.  I've been afraid of attracting submarine attacks on my carriers if I send them south - but the Subs seem tasked with nailing the Saipan landing forces.  That sub threat is why I sent 2 instead of all 6 South.

In retrospect, sending TF-UFO South means clobbering Guam and Rota faster.  Plus, you are working against the South map edge which eliminates an entire flight attack vector for your Combat Air Patrol.  Sending everything SW except for most of the fighters, recovering your planes as TF-UFO continues West, gets Guam/Rota smashed and the entire group of carriers out of the danger zone faster with better CAP. 

But I only realized it after the fact.  Like the New Georgia strategy, it took a while to come up with it.

Martok

• Trooper
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #63 on: July 20, 2019, 12:23:30 AM
Well done!  That last bit of narrative at the end was a nice touch.  >:D 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #64 on: July 20, 2019, 03:31:19 PM
The Battle of the Philippines is over with a US Victory 25 turns early (with a 50 turn deadline)!

https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/20/conclusion-of-the-battle-of-the-philippines/

A shocking revelation was made about General Wrigley's forced retirement by Pentagon enemies.

Martok

• Trooper
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #65 on: July 21, 2019, 01:25:51 AM
Nice use of dive-bombers.  Cute pupper!  :) 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal