Author Topic: US Pacific Campaign: Order of Battle WW2  (Read 1035 times)

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 01:19:59 PM
Part 3 of Bataan is posted.
See:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/20/bataan-scenario-conclusion-part-3-of-3/

I'm going to take a break from this AAR for a bit.  The last Bataan post made me depressed and brought tears to my eyes.  I had not thought about a couple of WW2 vets I knew growing up in several years - including a Wake Island vet.    :'(

I'm going to write up my visit to the Kansas City Toy Museum, my review of Pillars of Eternity 2, etc..... for a couple of days to let my sadness abate.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:09 PM
My first CA-ARNG tank battalion was on Corrigedor when it fell.  We had Bataan survivors attend all of our formal functions.

The guidon hanging in our BN conference room was from C/194th, and was kept hidden from the Japanese the entire time they were held in Bataan, and they brought it home from the war with them.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:44:35 PM
The Raid on the Gilbert and Marshall Islands - part 1 is now up:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/01/gilbert-marshall-island-raid-scenario-4-us-pacific-order-of-battle-ww2/

In honor of Jason Pratt - this scenario starts with a pitch meeting to Admiral Nimitz!

bbmike

• Jr Lancer
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 09:30:13 AM
You nailed the Pitch Meeting exchange but forgot to include the fact that "Aircraft carriers are tight!"  :bigthumb:
Great AAR!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:05 AM
First part of the Coral Sea scenario is up.
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/21/coral-sea-us-campaign-order-of-battle-ww2-scenario-5/

This is just a pain to illustrate.  The map is huge.  Your forces are split up and cannot support each other.  When you spot something without a positive ID, it does not show up on the main situation map.  Last, the strategy is complex due to the difficult victory conditions.

Sir Slash

• Trooper
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:56 AM
This is getting TENSE. Sun Tsu would be proud of the way the Japs are coming at you from different directions with different forces.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
I thought Sun Tzu was Chinese................. :nerd:

And now for something completely different!

bbmike

• Jr Lancer
Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 02:46:17 PM
Pugs are Chinese.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Sir Slash

• Trooper
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 10:37:46 PM
Sun Tzu was a pug. A Chinese Pug, as are all the really good ones. Never buy a French Pug, they're really just Poodles that fart a lot. Sun Tzu told me that.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 01:42:15 PM
I've updated through Turn 9 of the Coral Sea scenario:
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/25/coral-sea-part-2/

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 10:02:58 PM
Part 3 is up.
https://averysgameblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/coral-sea-part-3/

I took 130+ screen shots just to remind me of what happened when I had the time to write it up.  This battle was so complicated I'll probably use close to 50 screenshots.

This update takes us up to turn 13.  The Jap troop ships have finally been spotted and it will be hard to sink them.

Martok

• Jr. Trooper
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 01:31:59 AM
Dang, a lot of moving parts to keep track of (both friendlies and enemies).  Looks good, though. 

Query:  Does the AI adjust its plans and/or respond to your moves at all?  Does it largely try to follow the historical battle plan(s)? 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 09:19:52 AM
Dang, a lot of moving parts to keep track of (both friendlies and enemies).  Looks good, though. 

Query:  Does the AI adjust its plans and/or respond to your moves at all?  Does it largely try to follow the historical battle plan(s)?

Having played hundreds of hours of OOB in all of the scenarios my opinion is complex.

When on offense, the AI attempts to follow the plan and ram it through.  It adjusts to tactical opportunities, especially to encircle and destroy units.  Otherwise, it will attack on a specific axis of attack.  However, the AI will sometimes position units in different places.  I've found this to be very common in placement of aircraft carriers which are the most potent single unit in the game.

Defensively, the AI responds much more flexibly.  It will adjust, sometimes unpredictably in counter-attacks when on defense.  This is both tactically and strategically.

In sum, like most AI opponents the computer is much better on defense than offense.  On defense it can get quite creative and hammer you on your flanks in addition to taking advantage of tactical opportunities.  On offense, I've never seen it launch a totally different axis of attack beyond different start points for key units.