Author Topic: Politics as a board game?  (Read 907 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
on: September 20, 2018, 12:10:45 PM
https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/09/19/the-partisans-board-game-settlers-of-catan-capitol-hill-2016-elections/

note, despite the headline, it's got jack-all to do with Settlers of Catan.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:16:38 PM
This New Political Board Game Is Like the DC Version of “Settlers of Catan”
Written by Regina Park

"Nick Reddick and Andrew Park, the masterminds behind the game..."  ::)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:20:04 PM
dunno if they're related.  it's not like it's an uncommon name or something

but yeah, I did notice that, too

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 01:39:51 PM

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:04:10 PM
I think I'd have more fun counting my legs.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'Gentlemen of the French Guard, Fire!'

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:34:58 AM
Swing State 2012 was a fun little game by VPG. Also, GMT's 1960: The Making of  the President is a lot of fun, too.

But those have to do with presidential elections, not actually running a country. GMT's Mr. President, a P500, is in the works and one I'm truly excited about as it's a solo game and looks like it would make a terrific narrative.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:51:32 AM
I recently ordered Campaign Trail. I also backed GMT's Mr. President and wish it would hurry up and arrive.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:37:16 PM
Republic of Rome and its ports are definitely political strategy board games. Repub itself has a fan expansion Birth of Rome (which also acts as a tutorial to introduce game concepts to new players, spending several prologue turns setting up a more variable opening for the main game) and a fan epilogue Civil War era which exits the game a little more gracefully. Players play as political parties in the Republic, gaining and losing senators as your stable of player characters.

There's a sequel Empire of Rome, another prequel Republic of Carthage (both of which can be sort-of combined with Repub), and an early United States version called Founding Fathers.

I should note that the rules are infamously difficult. ;) Most of y'all already know I'm umpiring a forum-adaptation of the game over at Grogheads -- I reported a couple of turns here, too, in an ultimately failed attempt to convince the players to migrate the game over here (where the dice roller still works.  :biggrin: )

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 01:47:45 PM
Twilight Struggle, which I assume everyone here is familiar with, is another essentially political board game; which is why it has been semi-ported over to 1989 (Reagan's presidency) and The Making of a President (JFK's run for office vs Nixon).

Another card-driven area-control cube-placement political board game with VERY different mechanics, though, is Courtier. Taking place in an alt-history version of Venice, it's part of the "Tempest" series of board games. In this game, while the king has chief authority over the city-state, the queen is the inheritor and gets to choose her king. The current princess will soon be in her majority, and the players are local influential families who would like her to choose one of their sons as king. Players have to impress her by being able to efficiently manage the interests of a few dozen courtiers (and their coteries) for fulfilling petitions made by the citizens and diplomatic visitors. The king is a recent widower, and a local noblewoman took advantage of his loneliness to get married to him; but she's planning a soft coup to jump up support for dethroning him and disinheriting the princess. Fortunately the queen isn't very politically apt, and the king will soon see that the vain stepmother is plotting against the family and have her arrested -- at which point the game ends, and Princess Annette will choose the family she'll marry from.

While it isn't as true of a political game as the RepubRome series, where players are expected and encouraged to cooperate and compete politically against each other, Courtier has a strong political strategy flavor to it (even though at bottom it's an area-control cube-placement game played by cards). Games can get pretty crazy! I've been thinking of starting up a forum-version here once I'm done umpiring the Grogpublic. ;)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Corporal
  • Onward and upward
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:30 PM
I played Ft Sumter at Origins, and it was a fascinating and fun game that plays pretty fast.  I'd definitely recommend it :)

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 02:12:25 PM
Yep, and Playdek released a good PC version recently, too! (With mobile ports on the way, if not already out.)

I feel like it has some limitations for repeat play, but to be fair it's designed to be kind of a filler (something to be played while waiting for other games to finish or set up).

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 11:45:55 AM
The PC version on Steam is only 2-player online play, correct? No AI/single player?

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 05:57:59 PM
If you mean Ft. Sumter, there is definitely single-player AI. It's quite decent in my experience.

My only complaint about the game is one inherent to its original design, not its implementation (though some of the quotes are cheesy-acted but that's aesthetics): its limited scope works better as a "filler" game for a hand or two while waiting for other things.

Such games do exist with intentional design that way -- "Love Letter" for example (which by the way has an excellent PC port), or "Jaipur" (which by the way has a pretty great iOS port, though some of the important UI is crowded into the bottom of the screen). They're designed to be played with a strict timing of what to expect for completion, so that you can plan what to do between doing other things.

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 06:30:24 PM
Yes, Ft. Sumter. I'd almost bought the board game when GMT had their sale a few months back (bought Rebel Raiders instead). Since it's a card game I didn't think there was any solo-able ability to it. But if the PC game does, I might pull the trigger on it. Thanks.