Author Topic: MtG  (Read 4909 times)

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #120 on: July 04, 2020, 10:26:39 AM
I have played any Ikora yet but I’m not sure I’m sold on mutate. The overall power creep is getting a bit concerning.

Anyway I like core sets because they are most like the original design. Plus the use evergreen keywords only makes it easy to teach and understand.

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #121 on: July 04, 2020, 11:52:11 AM
For something to have been around for almost thirty years and still be this popular, and remain fresh, is remarkable.  Richard Garfield did an excellent design job.

As for Ikoria, I have played it A LOT!  I didn't cotton to Motivate initially, but, I like it more now.  You can tailor the effect it has on your deck to a high degree.  And yes, there are times it feels overpowered, but, I remind you that the overall theme is taken from Kaiju.  And honestly, who is more powerful than Godzilla?

The other mechanic, Cycling, I have much less experience of.  I don't like the concept of throwing cards away to no effect.  If I put it in my deck, I expect to need it when I draw it, not mill it to look at another card.  Having said that, I got smoked by a Cycling deck the other night.  So, when it works, it works.

Having played hundreds of matches with Ikoria in play, I can say two things: 1) Not a lot of people play it for its major mechanics, Mutate and Cycling and 2) The vast majority who do will play Mutate.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #122 on: July 05, 2020, 08:24:50 AM
I find cycling to be a situational mechanic. I put cycling lands in my cube because it provides a land (with a down side enters tapped) with the option to replace itself if you are flooded and draw a new card.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #123 on: July 06, 2020, 11:17:30 AM
Wrapped up the Bison family MTG Core 2021 limited sealed tournament last night. The wife won this years sealed event. We still have a draft tournament to play maybe this weekend.

Pulling cards and organizing a core set only cube to play over the next few months.

Awesome - that'll be you doing the dishes for the next few days :-)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #124 on: July 12, 2020, 12:04:42 AM
I have to brag a little on myself.  I was playing a red/white weenie with multiple token generators , a Divine Visitation, which turns any token generated into a 4/4 Serra Angel, and some +/+ buffs to attackers and a splash of lifelink.  My opponent played a five color deck and threw seven Planeswalkers in a row onto the field.  My draws brought me a good lifelink togen generator, several +/+ attack buffs, and most importantly, the Divine Visitation.  I took out four of the Walkers, two of which were Mythic Rare, exiled one, and left two on the battlefield when I took him to zero.  Booyah!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #125 on: July 12, 2020, 06:35:01 AM
So you overwhelmed him with inflated weenies?  :hehe:

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #126 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:15 AM
The real thing would have been too painful.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #127 on: July 12, 2020, 11:39:36 AM
Never underestimate the power of a weenie deck, grasshopper.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'