Author Topic: MtG  (Read 7964 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #150 on: September 06, 2020, 10:39:31 AM
I fully admit to completely losing track of where everything was after Alliances.

I bailed on the game and even once my son was playing for a little bit, never really paid that much attention to it. Turned out he was far more into Pokemon than Magic for a while there anyway

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #151 on: September 06, 2020, 07:45:51 PM
https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/card-set-archive

Thanks, bob!  Blast from the past.  Makes me feel a little old though.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #152 on: September 07, 2020, 06:39:15 AM
I know that feeling only too well. :(

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #153 on: September 08, 2020, 01:11:36 PM

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #154 on: February 03, 2021, 12:37:48 AM
Kaldheim just released last Thursday.  It has a Norse theme.  I am playing an Angel Cleric deck that is just stomping people.  Won on my fourth turn one match earlier tonight.  There are some powerful cards/combos in this set.  Would love to see any of you on Arena.  I am MetalDog there, too.  There are some numbers involved with my name, but, you can ask me for them if you decide to go looking for me.  The Android version of Arena is in live beta as of last Thursday, too.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #155 on: February 03, 2021, 06:13:18 AM
 :bigthumb:
I've neglected MtG for far too long.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #156 on: February 03, 2021, 05:33:39 PM
I know you said you had difficulty downloading Arena before.  That makes me very sad.  It is quite literally just like playing Magic, just on the computer (or soon, phone, tablet, etc.).  I have quite literally played thousands of matches and it fits neatly into that, "I only have 30 minutes to game and I don't want to play War In the East," type of game.  You can also continue playing, only to look up and see that several hours have passed.  PLUS the reward system, or grind, gives you access to a LOT of cards, as well as the ability to make copies of cards you don't have currently.  Deck construction is a breeze.  You never have to wait more than a minute for an opponent, and frequently less than ten to fifteen seconds.

Couple of downsides, while there is an in game ranking system, there is no tally of your won/loss record.  Nor is there any data available on the individuals you have faced in the past, such as won/loss against them or colors they like to play.  There is a way to look at all of the cards you have collected, but, you have to jump through a few hoops to get to it and it's not in game.  The game only shows you up to four of any one copy of a card collected, even if you know you have ten copies.

Those are really just minor quibbles and not any reason to quit playing or have a negative view of the game.  All in all, I truly hope you are able to get it downloaded, whether on PC or phone.  You'll really love it.  Den, however, will be making a visit to the States.  To kick my ass for getting her husband hooked ;)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #157 on: February 03, 2021, 05:59:37 PM
I really should try again. Knowing me, its probably something I did wrong anyway.

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #158 on: February 04, 2021, 11:22:57 PM
Kaldeim is a good set. It has a very heavy tribal mechanic: elf, warriors, berserkers, etc... I have mixed feelings toward the new mechanics. The foretell mechanic is interesting and does provide another layer of strategy. However, I generally find it to be too slow.  But it does provide a good outlet for control and combat tricks as well as a good option to use mana. Boast is fine but I do not like having to commit to combat to activate. It's strictly an aggro mechanic which is fine but I tend to prefer mid-range/control decks so I am biased. The set reminds me a lot of the Khans of Tarkir block.

I played a couple of sealed events and did well enough. In the first event, I had not really looked at the cards before playing and went 3-3. In the second event, I went 6-3 and broke even on the gems spent. I could have ended up 7-2 but mana flooded the last 6 or 7 turns of the game. I was up in life total15 to 4 and could not close it out. My opponent cast a board wipe. Bye-bye creatures. Next turn I play a 6/6 flying demon...he turns it into a 1/1 bird. Such is the way of Magic the Gathering.

Also, you can only get four of any one card in a set. If the card is also printed in other sets, you can get the additional four. If you get more than four of the same card, they give you credit toward the wild card experience.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #159 on: February 05, 2021, 12:12:21 AM
When I first started playing early last year, I vowed only to grind,  I only made decks of cards I collected.  I lost.  A lot.  Finally, I looked at all the Wild Cards I had collected.  Among the four types, I had over 150 saved up.  Now that my card selection is much bigger, I can keep the Wild Cards accumulating through the grind and spend some to make cards I want.  The day Kaldheim released I spent 23k Gold on Boosters and still cashed eight or so Wilds.

I invariably play White and Black.  Sometimes it's White and Green.  Occasionally a good Red/White.  But I am always looking to make the biggest creatures the fastest, trickiest, most, "Crap!  Not THAT card," cards ever.  I like to be on the attack.  I have learned over time, by playing against Blue or Blue/Red decks, to put creatures out when the other guy is out of mana and in bunches.  Other than that, it doesn't really matter to me what color you are playing.  Either I get my guys out fast enough, and powerful enough, to beat you before you can set up your defense, or, you beat me.

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #160 on: February 26, 2021, 07:21:25 PM
You playing your deck in Standard or Historic format?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #161 on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:09 AM
I'm still tinkering with the cube :-(

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #162 on: February 27, 2021, 08:54:01 AM
I still have two basic sets from Christmas '19 in shrink-wrap. I really need to try it at some point.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #163 on: February 27, 2021, 04:27:03 PM
I'm still tinkering with the cube :-(

When you get some free time put your cards into cubecobra.com and I'll give it a look if you want.

Bison

• Jr Lancer
Reply #164 on: February 27, 2021, 04:28:33 PM
I still have two basic sets from Christmas '19 in shrink-wrap. I really need to try it at some point.

MTG is a very good game especially for two people of equal experience. Assuming you have deck builder toolkits, they are a great way for two people to learn to play and build decks of equal power level.