Author Topic: MtG  (Read 1868 times)

Metaldog

• Trooper
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 10:20:45 AM
Bison, my man!  Good to see you, brother!!

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 12:16:58 PM
Bison, my man!  Good to see you, brother!!
Thanks MD.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 08:58:34 AM
MtG Collection

I also resurrected by collection details on 'Deckbox', and found that I have 4 cards worth over $16 each!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'Gentlemen of the French Guard, Fire!'

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:54 PM
IIRC the battle royale set included a reprint of Land Tax. It is desired for several formats but especially nice in commander. 

I always enjoying discovering a lost treasure like that even if I have no real need for a deck.

My favorite art ever is Illusory Angel. Pretty meh card but I love it and forced it into several decks just because. It’s the joy of being a lover of janky cards. Put stuff in a deck and spend the night answering “why?”

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 06:00:39 AM
IIRC the battle royale set included a reprint of Land Tax. It is desired for several formats but especially nice in commander. 

I always enjoying discovering a lost treasure like that even if I have no real need for a deck.

My favorite art ever is Illusory Angel. Pretty meh card but I love it and forced it into several decks just because. It’s the joy of being a lover of janky cards. Put stuff in a deck and spend the night answering “why?”

Yep, I do have Land Tax, which, according to Deckbox, is currently worth $27.51!
Deckbox is a really useful (free) utility. It says that I currently have 977 cards (although I suspect there may be a few I missed when cataloguing the collection).and has a average current value of $505 if all cards are in 'near mint' condition, which they are.

Not included in that picture, I also have the Sixth Edition Core Set.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:36:14 AM by bob48 »

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 07:26:54 PM
Six Edition is a really good set. Lots of value in the mythic and rares. The problem of course is unless you directly sell on eBay, you won’t get the actual value. In the states you’re lucky to get about 40% value. Everyone uses tcgplayer as the buy-sell price guide. Most common and uncommon are treated as bulk so pennies for a trade. One store I talked to paid 25 cents per inch. So a five inch stack of cards would net you a whopping $1.25. Maybe a little more if you take store credit.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 04:59:34 AM
 Interesting, although to be candid, I only checked values out of curiosity since I really do not intend to sell them. Now if I could just stumble on a Black Lotus..........

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 08:29:09 AM
I don’t sell cards either. I just slowly acquire them and futilely try to keep them organized. I have one smaller box of cards l want to pass along.  When I was drafting regularly, I tended to pick and play the same cards because I found winning builds at FLGS. Now it’s just too many duplicates. So I’m  just going to give them to a friends boys. They will think they are cool because they are from sets they haven’t played.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 08:36:41 AM
The cost of older sets, if you can find them, are prohibitive - I may have to start buying newer ones!

Also, I just made a few card boxes out of thin card - very easy to do although they do look a bit...baroque.......:-)

......yes I know: cheapskate.

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 02:09:25 PM
The new core set should be out end of the summer. I really like core sets. Mechanics tend to be the streamlined evergreen types like trample, flying, reach, +1 counters etc...as a result the cards tend to play better with a mix of more previous sets. Sometimes you get mechanics that don't transfer well outside of their specific blocks. For example, the new energy mechanic is really only in two sets Kaladesh and Aether Revolt.

I'm on the hook for some of the next set pre-releasing this weekend. Planeswalkers are expanding to uncommon cards, so more choices and easier to get. The kids love planeswalkers so we will be buying some product. Just not sure what or how much just yet. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 02:47:54 PM
Yup - I've been looking at the new core set. Tempting!

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 09:38:50 PM
I like Core 2019. It’s the set I’m using to teach the second oldest how to build decks. We bought a booster box and still have over half of it sealed. It seems expensive at first but compared to other hobbies or outings it’s actually pretty reasonable. We each start with six packs to build our decks and add a new pack to our pool every week or two. So we will get many evenings of gaming over the course of several months from one box.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 04:46:28 AM
I recently came across the notes for a campaign system that I had worked out several years ago. It's actually quite good although we didn't get to play test it fully.

I may resorect this project.

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 10:10:43 AM
We upgraded our decks a little bit this weekend with some War of the Spark cards. I'm not a huge fan of planeswalkers but there's no going back now. It'll be interesting to see whether they come to dominate standard and have more impact on modern.

What WotC got correct is the appeal of opening planeswalkers to many players especially the younger crowd. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 10:25:14 AM
I'm actually quite interested in the Ravnica  Deck Builders Toolkit. Seems to offer a lot at a decent price. We have to go into Newcastle tomorrow so, time permitting, we'll nip into Forbidden Planet and see if they have it in stock.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/posts/pictures-video-our-newcastle-megastore-opening-day/