Author Topic: MtG  (Read 4317 times)

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #105 on: June 26, 2020, 09:56:53 AM
Bison, next time you roll through here, I could use some tips on booster draft deckbuilding.  bob, if you've got any, I am all ears.  Anyone else?  Speak up.

Sure. What’s challenging you?

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #106 on: June 26, 2020, 10:59:19 AM
I suck at it.  I see all the cards and start grabbing ones that look useful and when I get to the end of the third booster, I look at what I picked and there is no symmetry.  The individual cards look good, but, there is nothing that binds them.  So, I guess what I am looking for is, what do you look for when drafting?  Are you looking for combinations?  Do you concentrate on one or two colors from the beginning, or just gather as many good cards as you can and make something work from there?  What is going through your mind when you start the draft and then as you go through it?

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #107 on: June 28, 2020, 05:24:05 AM
A couple of quick tips. I have not drafted the current set so I cannot speak to the best cards or archetypes.

1. Do not get anchored to the first pick pack one. Generally, people pick the mythic/rare and try to force the deck to fit it. Be prepared to change your plan if your colors are not coming around with cards to support your plan.

2. If you are not sure what to pick, I tend to pick mana fixing (rare dual lands or artifacts) or colorless (Skyscanner is a good example. 3 Colorless for a 1/1 flier that draws you a card. It can go into every deck). It'll help keep your options open as the first pack plays out. You have two more packs to get playable cards.

3. Until you learn the set and are comfortable drafting, stick with two colors. However, I tend to look at three colors as I'm going because inevitably one color is going to clearly be open. Good cards keeping going around the table. Gauge it by remembering the cards in the first couple of packs you pick from and you pick up the signals from other players.

4. 23 playable cards (13-15 creatures and 8-10 non-creature spells). You can play 22 or 24 and be fine but 23 is what I have found to be the sweet spot. So you need 23 playable cards from the 45 your draft. If you keep it to 2 colors, you should have a nice sideboard. As you get better having one primary color and two other colors to choose from will open up sideboard options. I will routinely totally change my deck if the matchup is bad. Meaning swap out an entire color or add in a splash of a third color if I have the mana fixing to support it.

5. Watch your curve and card advantage. Too many expensive cards (4+) is not good without mana fixing to ramp up to big creatures. The curve should only have  3-4 CMC 1 (always exceptions like shock) and 2-3 CMC 5+ for early game and late game finishers. The bulk should be CMC 2-4. And you want ways to filter through your deck if possible. Blue and black are the norm for draw cards but scry and other effects can help filter your deck too. Be wary of too many aura/enchantments placed on creature cards. I love them but they tend to be bad because it's often a 2-1 card trade to your opponent's advantage. I.e. Turn 3 Cast creature for 3. Turn 4 cast aura to buff for an attack. Opponent counters with a destroy or bounce effect. You spent two turns and two cards for nothing. Now I personally play them because I love me some combat tricks but the instant speed and one turn effects generally payoff better to surprise defend or deal extra damage.

6. Figure out what your win condition is or how you would like to win. This is where set familiarity comes into the strategy. But ultimately if you just have a bunch of cards with no plan of how you are going to win, you most likely will not win.

7. Watch some drafts on youtube. It's a free, easy, and entertaining way to study the format.

I have played one seal constructed on Arena. I went 6-3 but should have gone 7-2. I had my opponent down to 2 life and then drew 7 lands in a row and could not draw any creatures to preserve my health or one of my three shocks to end the game. He was playing a +1/+1 counters deck and was able to buildup four creatures with counters to finish me off. But that is how it goes some times. I really like the set a lot and plan on drafting it at some point in the next couple of days.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:16:36 AM by Bison »

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #108 on: June 28, 2020, 10:34:45 AM
Thank you, sir, for those valuable insights.  The last two drafts I went Green/White and won twice in each tourney.  Which is good for me. 

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #109 on: June 28, 2020, 12:22:27 PM
Green-White is +1/+1 counters, I think, so should be looking for creatures and spells that benefit the archetype.

Scavenging ooze is nice card. The last game I lost last night my opponent had two plus a hydra and the planeswalker Basri Ket. He rolled me once my defenders were gone.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #110 on: June 28, 2020, 12:30:03 PM
I cant get Arena working for me at all :-(

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #111 on: June 28, 2020, 12:38:22 PM
Weird.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #112 on: June 28, 2020, 12:41:05 PM
Very - it just hangs up on me. I dare say it'll be something simple that I either have done or haven't done.

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #113 on: June 28, 2020, 12:49:58 PM
Did you do a clean re-install? I had to do a .net install and get a new client due to the latest update.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #114 on: June 28, 2020, 12:51:52 PM
Good point - and no, I didn't. I'll try that though and see what happens.  :bigthumb:

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #115 on: June 28, 2020, 03:56:49 PM
Hope it works for you, bob!  It's been a lot of fun these last few months.  Love to have you aboard.

Green-White is +1/+1 counters, I think, so should be looking for creatures and spells that benefit the archetype.

Scavenging ooze is nice card. The last game I lost last night my opponent had two plus a hydra and the planeswalker Basri Ket. He rolled me once my defenders were gone.

It was Vigilance for me.  I had Kaheera Orphanguard as my deck Companion.  Certain types of creatures gain Vigilance and add, "Tap 1 and Tap another creature."  There is a White Enchant Aura that has Flash and gives enchanted creature +1/+1.  But if the creature has Vigilance, then you also get to use your Toughness as your Power when you attack or block.  Most of the time that is a huge advantage.  For instance, you turn a 1/4 White Vigilance creature into a 5/5 with one card.  Pretty sweet, no?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:59:56 PM by Metaldog »

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #116 on: June 28, 2020, 07:03:24 PM
This is a really good site to do card research. https://scryfall.com/

I actually pulled both Liliana, Waker of the Dead, and Teferi, Master of Time planeswalkers. But I had no blue cards to really support Teferi, so I played Liliana and red which was the best color in my sealed 6 packs. Turned out well and I made a couple of bonehead decisions in my last game that cost me the 7 victories. I cannot complain because with 6 victories I played the pre-release for free and earned several packs.

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #117 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:52 PM
That's excellent.  I played the free Cube entry I had.  It was interesting.  I'd do it again.

Bison

• Trooper
Reply #118 on: July 01, 2020, 05:10:54 PM
Wrapped up the Bison family MTG Core 2021 limited sealed tournament last night. The wife won this years sealed event. We still have a draft tournament to play maybe this weekend.

Pulling cards and organizing a core set only cube to play over the next few months.

Metaldog

• Jr Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #119 on: July 01, 2020, 06:24:44 PM
Congrats to Mrs. Bison! 

The season ended in Arena yesterday.  I gained a thousand coins and five packs of Core 2021.  I've perused the entire set and I like the direction they are going.  I look forward to the upcoming expansions.  More Mutate!  More +1/+1!!  And how about some damn multicolor!!