Author Topic: MtG  (Read 452 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
on: January 25, 2019, 05:10:20 PM
Anyone still play MtG at all?

And now for something completely different!

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:38 PM
Oh, Bawb. Bawb, Bawb, Bawb.

Please don't tell us you have been sucked into the never-ending black hole of MtG... ;D

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:17:11 PM
Bison was a regular player

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:23:16 AM

Yes he was indeed.

We (me and the missus)  played a lot, years ago, and still have maybe 1000 cards up to 8th edition, but we haven't played it for a long time. I would be quite happy to play it again to be honest, as the 'base game is really not that bad.

I did play the online game a bit but found that to be a lot less enjoyable.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:34:06 AM
Oh, Bawb. Bawb, Bawb, Bawb.

Please don't tell us you have been sucked into the never-ending black hole of MtG... ;D

Cough cough (Axis and Allies Zombies) cough! cough!

mirth

• Cardboard Harlot
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:40 AM
 I have a good friend who is a hard core MTG player, but I have managed to avoid it.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 09:58:09 AM
MD is (or was) a player and has (or had)  a large collection of cards.

BanzaiCat

• Jr Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 07:29:53 PM
I played it quite a bit when I was a paramedic. One of my partners got me hooked on it. He knew a little card shop that sold them cheap so I bought quite a few over about a year. I then went to San Antonio for a convention and saw a buddy of mine that worked at the mall attached to my hotel (he worked at the IMAX theater in the projection booth). I brought my deck because he had one too, and he utterly and thoroughly destroyed me. That's when I learned you could spend serious $$$ on that damn game. He had a LOT of expensive cards in a huge book. I washed my hands of the game at that point...no way I was going to spend tons of dough on it.

Gee, good thing I learned to not spend a lot of money on games.  ;)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lancer
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:46:07 AM
I agree that it would be easy to get carried away by it from a collecting point of view, but that applies to lots of hobbies, including board games!
However, its also possible to to enjoy the game without buying every new addition and trying to complete collection unless that is what a person likes to do. The point is that since the core rules are pretty stable, you can play it without needing all the new stuff and with 'old' edition cards.

Metaldog

• Trooper
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 06:16:23 PM
I got in at the beginning.  Around '93.  It was a review by Rick Swan in Dragon Magazine that did it.  There was a minis shop that sold some RPG stuff in town.  I went down there looking for MtG cards.  He said he'd never heard of them.  I gave him the Wizards of the Coast order information.  Couple weeks later, he had them in and I bought my first two decks and 10 boosters.  I was hooked!!  Actively collected through Ice Ages and lost interest after that.  I've picked up a few boxes over the years since and inherited a couple thousand from a friend, but, I don't play.  My regular playing partner left the house when my daughter moved in with her boyfriend.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 07:17:46 PM
I started with 3rd Ed (revised) and gave up around Mirage.  I was an active member of the MtG-L listserv run by WotC in the mid-90s, and showed up in the occasional Duelist magazine being quoted in an article here or there.

After Mirage, I just lost interest in collecting, and my playing community had dwindled.

I played a LOT of different CCGs, though.  I had a bunch of ME:tW, Echelons, Guardians, and others.  LOVED the Mechwarrior CCG.  Somewhere around the late-90s I pivoted back to reading a lot of RPG stuff and stopped with the card games, and never really missed them until my son showed some interest.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Trooper
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:02:19 PM
I have a couple thousand Battletech CCG cards.  I was developing some campaign rules for it, but, I didn't have enough Clan cards to draw from.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bbmike

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 09:18:31 PM
Never played it. I have the Steam version though.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 01:31:42 PM
The current Steam Magic Duels system is pretty handy. It arbitrates the rules, looks sharp, tutorials are helpful (except when they temporarily break ;) ), cost-efficient for the return -- you can get a lot of stuff for free if you play competently, and the full tutorial system gives LOTS of credit for new players to spend on booster packs. I think by now a new player could get all the cards of one set for free by completing all the tutorial campaigns.

Bison

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 09:16:56 PM

I still do indeed but I really only play two ways these days. Commander with several pre-constructed decks. Well balanced against each other and an economical way to play.

Mostly I mess around with my pauper cube. Here’s a link to my current cube list. http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/87746
It’s all common cards so outside of a dozen cards over $1 most cards are 10 cents or less. The 800 sleeves cost more than the cards. Anyway cube is great because you can just use the cards you have to play draft or a “sealed” constructed game. Look up Winston draft. It is a Richard Garfield designed draft for two players. Works really well and is a ton of fun. A thousand cards is 100s of hours of drafting  and sealed fun.