Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 206446 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #705 on: April 01, 2023, 10:06:48 AM
On this day in 2002, Finnish sniper extrordinaire, Simu Hayha passed away.
With 505 confirmed kills, his record is not likely to be surpassed.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #706 on: April 04, 2023, 10:11:38 AM
On this day in 1865, President Lincoln sat in Jeff Davis' chair in Richmond.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #707 on: April 06, 2023, 10:16:07 AM
A busy day, in approximately 1400 BC, Theseus and the select youth of Athens set sail for Crete.
1934, Nazis arrest 418 Lutheran ministers.
1944, SHAEF orders all Leaves cancelled in the British Isles in anticipation of DDay.
1992, Isaac Asimov, army veteran dies.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #708 on: April 07, 2023, 03:21:32 PM
A joyful day.  It is National Beer Day!

On this day in 1938, the Japanese suffer their first defeat in "the China incident".  After fourteen grueling days, they retire from the battle of tearzhuang.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #709 on: April 11, 2023, 10:39:25 AM
On this day in 1612, Edward Wightman, Anabaptist preacher, has the dubious honor of being the last person to be burned at the stake for blasphemy in England.

Prince Harry has no idea how lucky he is.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #710 on: April 11, 2023, 11:09:21 AM
Meaning?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #711 on: April 11, 2023, 11:25:14 AM
I am old enough to remember that event. I was there because I thought they were talking about, "Steak" not, "Stake".  :doh:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #712 on: April 12, 2023, 01:40:32 PM
On this date in 1782, admiral George Bridges Rodney won a smashing victory over the French fleet at the Battle of the Saintes in the Caribbean.
This was only possible in the Age of Enlightenment.
The old gentleman always had shaky finances, what with running for Parliament and having a rather incredible gambling issue.
Forced to flee England to avoid his creditors, he hid in France.  When the American Revolutionary war began he was offered a fleet command by the admiralty.  But to accept it meant returning to England and facing court.
So, Rodney appealed for help from his French friends.  Marshal Biron loaned him 2,000 pounds to cover his english debts. 
Then he took his command and beat the fleet of deGrasse, which had won the battle of the Virginia Capes, which sealed Cornwallis' fate at Yorktown.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #713 on: April 14, 2023, 09:13:06 AM
On this day in 1944, Soviet marshal Molokai Vatutin was killed in an ambush by Ukrainian partisans.

Historical precedents can be very useful.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #714 on: April 16, 2023, 10:00:55 AM

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #715 on: April 17, 2023, 10:11:23 AM
On this day in 1488, Caterina Sforza refused to surrender Forli to the Orsi.
In their fury that a woman could dare to refuse their demand, Catherine's children were brought up and threatened with death.  The tigress of Forli reputedly pulled up her skirts, cupped herself, and announced she could always make more.

Mother's love.  Isn't it wondrous?

https://www.strategypage.com/bookreviews/1072.asp
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:25:29 AM by besilarius »

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #716 on: April 18, 2023, 09:40:10 AM
A busy day.
In 1775 Paul Revere goes for a ride.
1942, Jimmy Doolittle flies off the carrier Hornet.
1944, Ernie Pyle was killed on Ie Shima.
https://erniepyle.iu.edu/wartime-columns/captain-waskow.html

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #717 on: April 19, 2023, 10:04:16 AM
In 1757, Edward Pellew, one of the great frigate captains of a he French wars, was born.
When Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne came aboard the frigate Blonde, to cross over to Canada, the crew was at attention to greet him.  After exchanging pleasantries with capt a n Philemon Pownall, who had become fabulous wealthy by capturing the Spanish treasure ship, the "golden" Hermione, Burgoyne pointed at midshipman Pellew and asked if the young lad wasn't out of uniform?
Pellew was atop the mainmast, saluting Burgoyne, while standing on his head.
Pownall looked at the cheeky lad.  Since he was doing his headstand on his hat, he definitely was not out of uniform.
After Saratoga, Pellew was chosen by the general to carry his despatched back to Parliament.

In 1775, the British army Conducted some counter insurgency at the villages of Lexington and Concord.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #718 on: April 21, 2023, 01:40:51 PM
On this day in 753BC, Remus Silvius is killed by his brother, who then founds a city.

Baron Manfred von Richtofen is killed by ground fire at the age of 25.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #719 on: April 21, 2023, 07:09:08 PM
On this day in 753BC, Remus Silvius is killed by his brother, who then founds a city.

Baron Manfred von Richtofen is killed by ground fire at the age of 25.