Author Topic: An Aggressors Whammy!  (Read 89 times)

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
on: April 11, 2019, 01:37:30 PM
Aggressors: Ancient Rome is a 4x game set in the ancient world.  Think Civilization with a narrowly focused tech tree, a much better AI, and a ton of flexibility.

After churning through the 225 page manual I started playing.   I'm learning the game by playing the "start from scratch" game instead of being plopped down in 225BC with the developed Ancient World around Rome.

This is test game 5.  My guys get to Turtle.  They grab a bunch of land and concentrate on building cities, infrastructure and research.  My only land contact is with "Sparta" which is across a 1 hex isthmus.    Another AI player, the Iberians gets real big real fast and starts crushing everyone.  I keep the peace with them as I turtle.  They crush Sparta but don't attack me.

So I'm turtled with one narrow land bridge to a huge power with a ton of cities, resources and a huge but technologically weak army.  I end up researching troops about two stages advanced from the Iberians and they end all relations with me (no war, but no peace either).  Now I'm scared. 

I build up a smallish but very technologically advanced force - about 8 units.  They are about 3x the combat effectiveness of anything the Iberians can throw at me.  I advance into the former "Sparta" and in about 4 turns slaughter the Iberian local troops, seize the former Spartan capital, take a couple of resource spots and am grinding my way North.  Then I get a message that "Sparta has risen from the Ashes."  The former capital and ALL OF MY ADVANCED TROOPS CLOSE BY become "Spartan."  My advance is over, 70% of my army switched colors - and I'm back to having a buffer State (Sparta) between me and the huge Iberian hordes.

One of the absolute strangest things I've ever had happen to me in a 4x game.   :o

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lancer
  • Onward and upward
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:07:56 PM
THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

airboy

• Trooper
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:27 PM
And it gets better.  Sparta declares war on me and launches an attack with my former army.  Fortunately, the fortified troops on the peninsula bleed them enough that I can build a second army and destroy Sparta - again.

This time I crush Sparta and keep it under my heel (I hope).  I went on to crush the Iberians rather easily.  In this game if you ever get ahead technologically you can crush the rest of the world's armies - if you don't run out of supplies.  And supply management in this game is a bear.