Every week, #TuesdayNewsday brings what’s important in wargaming and the strategy gaming world >>>
Mentioned in Dispatches season 6 is back! That’s right – we’ve launched our new season, with the premiere featuring Brant, BBMike, and Ian talking about game mods.
Newly Released This Week:
- War Diary Magazine is being sold through LNLP’s website, and their latest – Bougainville – The Forgotten Campaign – is now available.
- TRL Games has an update pack available for those that want to use the updated Dogs of War rules with their Less Than 60 Miles games.
- Modern War Magazine #52 with a game on the struggle in the Congo around the turn of the millennium
- Legion Wargames is now shipping Prairie Aflame! and still offering the preorder price for it ($42 instead of $58).
- TS Wargames (over in Poland) has released Starguard Solstice, about the fighting in Pomerania in early 1945.
- Gamer’s Armory is taking orders for Rally Point #18 for those that are ASL completists. These scenarios are from the Tampa ASL community, and can be challenging to find.
- Avalanche Press has an alt-history timeline where World War I ‘sort of’ ended in 1916 and then restarted under different conditions in 1940, as the “Second Great War”. This is the backstory behind their Second Great War at Sea series, and the current Tropic of Capricorn game that features a bunch of South American naval powers duking it out.
News From The Wargame Industry:
- Paradox has Magicka 2 on sale for 75% off. You can pick this one up for less than the cost of a latte.
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale this week is World At War #60, featuring Eisenhower’s War at 50% off ($20).
- The Warlord CCG is turning 20! (Hands up if you had no idea it made it past 5 years. Yep, that’s pretty much everyone.)
- Paizo is partnering with WizKids to release a Starfinder Battles pre-painted minis game. Even if you don’t care about the game, the minis for all sorts of sci-fi uses are pretty sweet.
- Decision Games’ deals for February are all Napoleonic games
- Wellingtons Victory (Box) – $99 (Orig. Price $160)
- Napoleon’s Last Battles (Box) – $48 (Orig. Price $60)
- Napoleon at Waterloo (Box) – $24 (Orig. Price $29.95)
- Marengo (Folio) – $19.95 (Orig. Price $24.95)
- Saalfeld (Mini) – $9.95 (Orig. Price $11.95)
- Ares Games will be distributing English-language editions of games from Nuts! Publishing, including 300: Earth & Water, that was a part of our program at #TheACDC back in January.
- Slitherine Games is rolling out a new RTS game set in the universe of the Starship Troopers movies. (Note: “movies” – don’t look for powered armor on the mobile infantry here, as it’s a different ‘world’).
But, the screenshots for the new Starship Troopers: Terran Command do look wicked cool.
Newly Launched This Week:
- Compass Games has the preorder up there for Flanks of Gettysburg. The game zooms in on the battles at Little Round Top and Culp’s Hill.
- GMT Games has Prime Minister on p500. Plays 1-4 players (yes, MOWE, there’s a dedicated solo option so you don’t have to hack one together) and puts you into Victorian-era politics. Steam guns & cogwheels not included.
- MMP is still taking preorders on their GCACW-series game Hood Strikes North. It’s been out there for a while, but it’s highlighted on their new site so we’re drawing some attention to it for you.
- MMP are also taking preorders on Third Winter, which is their next OCS game, that looks at operation Ukraine over the Winter of 1943-44.
New from the Dragoons:
- Mentioned in Dispatches started season 6!
- Saturday Night Fights started the Project Quatre Bras series of games with a GINORMOUS game of Blucher on the table. Skip to the 1:49 mark for the punchline.
- Saturday Morning Fights featured Cyrano vs GUWS, as noted above.
- My Own Worst Enemy fought out the H&M scenario La Prairie, a battle from August 1691
- RMN dug into Canvas Temple’s WW2 Deluxe: European Theater.
- On Monday, we started a playthrough of The White Tribe from White Dog Games.
Something From Our Partners:
- Last week we noted that Compass was shipping Coalition and this week Moe takes a look at what’s inside.
- Ardwulf’s weekly counter-clipping gabfest talked about the “wargame-RPG interface”
- RMN took a tour through his dice collection in anticipation of an upcoming podcast recording session (hint, hint)
The Professional Wargaming World:
- GUWS had Grognard of the Year Jim “Cyrano” Owczarski stop by to teach them some Blucher, in spite of faculty advisor Sebastian Bae ducking his challenges. Next week, Paul Webber will be covering modern operational-level naval wargames and RMN probably already has his tickets.
- PaxSims has some thoughtful articles on teaching game design and adapting for a pandemic, headlined by Rex’s own lessons learned.
This Week on Six Degrees of Radio:
A look at some great music from the past 40-odd years, with stories about the different songs.
- Better by Screaming Jets
- Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down
- Cheese Metal Week: Tainted Angel by Southgang
- Cheese Metal Week: Rebel With A Cause by Silent Rage
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.