Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: If I Had $1 Million  (Read 531 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: March 01, 2024, 10:12:56 AM
This week's podcast

Mentioned in Dispatches Season 12 Ep 4 ~ If I Had A Million Dollars
Endowed faculty chairs.  The giant Blue Panther-tron Dr Seuss Grog-Print-O-Matic game printer to bring back old-school out-of-print wargames.  Hire some goddamn editors!  Supported play programs.  Bling out the games!  Can you tie into a much-loved media license to bring in a ready-made audience?

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/s12e4/

was inspired by this thread on BGG asking what you'd do for the wargaming hobby if you had $1million to spend on it

Listen to our suggestions and let us know what you might try to do!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 10:38:10 AM
I guess everyone thinks the wargaming world is just fine! 🤪

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:21:58 AM
I would host an all-expenses paid wargaming convention in my hometown.

I might even offer stipends to help offset people's wages who have to take leave from work!

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:36:46 PM
My 'expertise' in the wargaming world isn't that high-end. What investment opportunities are there out there, that could make part or all of a hypothetical one million dollars worthy of the industry at large?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 09:48:46 PM
Maybe buy the ASL licensing rights from Hasbro and donate them to MMP.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:00:35 PM
I'll play. How about a Wargame with digital counters that automatically adjust from round to square or reverse as you desire. Time to finally heal the Great Wargamer Divided House.  :hug:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

GaryMc

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
Find a media savvy, telegenic and known to the public wargamer to do a Tabletop/Critical Role type show.  Find a Wil Wheaton.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 10:10:06 AM
I would buy the rights to every single Avalon Hill game ever made, then have them reprinted en mass and sold at cost. Then I would hire a crack team of developers to pump out PC versions of said games, only with modern graphics and the best AI they can come up with. Nostalgia all the way for this wargamer.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Fedelis

• Jr. Trooper
  • Gentleman Wargamer
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 12:53:26 PM
I'd like to think I'd use the money for a benevolent purpose like others have posted on BGG to fund a scholarship for game designers, rules authors, and other students of the form. However if I read into the question, I think the original poster is looking for passion projects that we would fund should I suddenly be granted a million dollars.

For me, one of my favorite game systems is the Commands & Colors rule set. My first love that brought me into wargaming as a kid was when my Dad brought home a copy of Battle Cry. We still make it annual tradition to play whenever I visit him in Texas. Later in life, I have had the privilege to both meet Richard Borg and play and playtest with his game group. Richard literally has file cabinets full of material for many of his Commands & Colors lines of games that publishers haven't put into production, and I would use the funding here to magically make it happen:

Battle Cry (Hasbro, now IP is back with Richard due to inactivity. Potential GMT to pickup)
+Rerelease Battle Cry containing all the scenarios that Richard has built for it complete with minis that give it that wonderful toybox factor. Chrome it up a little and make them paintable or even pre-painted.
+Release an expansion containing a second set of miniatures, command cards, larger board, and all the EPIC sized scenarios that Richard has designed. I have played Gettysburg and Peachtree Creek in a Epic format and both were incredibly fun.

Napoleonics (GMT)
+ A grognard's feast. Release everything, all the content, all the chrome, all expansions, anything out of print - make it in print again. No P500 waiting. Produce and stock it now and everywhere.
+Make a collector's edition big box with everything in it. Comes with free Shako and lumbar support belt to carry it all.

Memoir '44 (Days of Wonder)
+Bribe Days of Wonder/Asmodee to continue releasing battle maps (soon to come Battle of the Bulge) and expansion materials. Fund future reprints for everything. For many years, many of the expansions and battle maps were hard to find, now never again.
+Maybe a big box?

Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare (PSC)
+The Three Player Orthorian Expansion adding the new asymmetric force and a hex sharped 3-player map
+Planet Fall expansion which adds ground combat to planetary surface.

Tricorne (Compass Games)
+ Release the rest of the Seven Years War content with European scenarios and native factions
+ Expansion correcting publisher's oopsies with Jacobite Rising and adding in Epic sized map and scenarios

The Great War (PSC)
+Release the final expansion adding Gallipoli content, early war cavalary and scenarios, along with epic sized maps
+Add in the planes rules with Wings of War style painted minis! (a la New Flight Plan)

C&C Medieval (GMT)
+ Produce the Vikings, Crusaders, and Castles/Siege content that GMT hasn't moved forward with yet.

I could go on for a long time.

In short, I really love the Commands and Colors system. It's a great gateway into two worlds - the wargaming boardgame world, and the minatures wargaming world. Is it a perfect system? No. It is however not difficult to learn or teach, accessible to so many ages young and old, and makes an excellent launching point to go deeper into the hobby for those who so desire.

Memoir '44 is my current favorite of the lot, and is often found on my table with a pint of beer and pretzels, or often run an Overlord game at conventions (Market Garden, Tigers in the Snow, etc). You can play a light and easy breezy game in 45mins or less, or scale up in size, additional rules, or do campaigns to ratchet up the complexity if you desire it. While some titles make better "entry points" to the system than others, once you learn one Commands and Colors game, it's not that difficult to jump to another in the system.

I think investments in these using my imaginary money would pay great dividends if it was only supported more.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 04:19:08 PM by Fedelis »

Putraack

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 09:28:51 PM
From the not-so-secret Europa fan: I'd try to buy up and put back into production that series. As Not-Secret Investor #1  ;), that's what I would do!

I have ideas to try, and variants to play out.