Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • SAVE THE DATE!  The Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly will be held 11-13 October 2024 in Raleigh/Cary, NC

News

SAVE THE DATE!  The Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly will be held 11-13 October 2024 in Raleigh/Cary, NC

Recent Posts

Pre-Gunpowder / Re: Field Of Glory: Kingdoms
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 02:48:14 PM »
Nice. Been waiting for this for what feels like 800 years.
Pre-Gunpowder / Field Of Glory: Kingdoms
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Today at 02:00:17 PM »
First Impressions of Field Of Glory: Kingdoms

Field Of Glory: Kingdoms is a welcome transport ahead in time for the very well-received, eminently-approachable, extremely intuitive Field Of Glory: Empires wargame series

https://wp.me/pae4WL-9bi

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on Today at 10:11:00 AM »
1264         Three day battle of Lewes begins: Earl Simon de Montfort of Leicester defeats & captures King Henry III of England

1382         Giovanna I Queen Regnant of Naples, having runthrough five husbands and numerous lovers while ruining her country, murdered at 56

1670         Elector Augustus I of Saxony was born, who was also King Augustus II of Poland and Lithuania, known as “The Strong”, with c. 350 children, including Marshal Saxe

1725         Jacques de Mercoyrol de Beaulieu, later Captain, Regiment de Picardie, Brig. Gen., d. 1817   
The unreliability of the old smooth bore musket is notorious. As one British observer once observed, " . . . a soldier must be very unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150 yards, provided his antagonist aimed at him."
An excellent demonstration of this fact occurred during one battle in the Seven Years' War (1756-1763). It seems that, having routed the enemy, some French troops were pursuing them off the field, which was rather shrouded in gunsmoke, a commonplace of battles using traditional black powder.
One of the French soldiers, Mercoyrol de Beaulieu, imprudently donned the headdress of a fallen Hessian grenadier. At that, about 50 of de Beauliue's comrades, mistaking him for the enemy in the smoke, opened fire, some of them at perhaps not more than 30 paces. Amazingly, de Beaulieu emerged completely unijured, despite a ball that had passed through his coat and another that had clipped his bayonet.

1780. The city of Charleston, S.C., falls to the British when Continental Gen. Benjamin Lincoln surrenders during the American Revolution. Three Continental Navy frigates (Boston, Providence, and Ranger) are captured; and one American frigate (Queen of France) is sunk to prevent capture.

1797         Mutiny in the British Fleet at the Nore (subdued June 16)

1900         Joseph John Rochefort, U.S. naval officer, cryptanalyst. who broke the Japanese code, d. 1976

1941         Charles Henry George Howard, the Earl of Suffolk, his secretary Eileen Beryl Morden, his chauffeur Fred Hards, and five assistants, defusing a bomb
Intel Dump / Re: Wargame Design Studio News Thread + Latest Sale Titles
« Last post by rahamy on Today at 09:47:00 AM »
New Game of the Week announced, the freshly updated Campaign Leipzig! Read all about it in todays blog post:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/game-of-the-week-may-13-19
Arts & Crafts & 3D Printing / Re: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting
« Last post by thecommandtent on May 11, 2024, 09:10:13 PM »
:bigthumb: They look great!

Thanks, Bob!

I am working on several VTT maps on Campaign Cartographer. Unfortunately, I cannot share them here just yet. I don't want to ruin TheCommandTent's experience during our group's next VTT session.

:dreamer:
Saturday Night Fights & Tabletop Simulator / Re: Eggmuhl Week
« Last post by bayonetbrant on May 11, 2024, 08:02:00 PM »
"Eggmuhl Week" is stretching into "Eggmuhl Month" (and coming soon "Eggmuhl Season")

The current game right now is General D'Armee 2

https://wp.me/pae4WL-90p
Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by Putraack on May 11, 2024, 04:53:06 PM »
On My table: Saipan: the bloody rock, from Compass Games one of the Company Scale Series. This has been suspended for a month, as we prepare for running Brazen Chariots at Origins. That's just been set up on someone else's table.

Also on my table: Kesselring's War, as a solitaire exploration. I've played 7 of 8 turns, and have learned a few things, but not quite how to make a big amphibious landing in this system. I pulled off the Sicily landings and the Italian "toe" landing, but my Salerno attempt was thrown back by the Germans. I think I learned a few things, as I followed with Sardinia and Corsica landings, which led to a landing adjacent to Rome instead of Anzio. As it uses alternate impulses, I think it would run better as an opposed game than a solitaire one.
Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by bob48 on May 11, 2024, 04:19:18 PM »
I'm having a break from some pretty intensive games of LHY, and I'm now playing 2nd Battle of Kernstown, one of the ACW Blind Sword series from Revolution Games.
Arts & Crafts & 3D Printing / Re: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting
« Last post by Bison on May 11, 2024, 02:52:55 PM »
:bigthumb: They look great!

Thanks, Bob!

I am working on several VTT maps on Campaign Cartographer. Unfortunately, I cannot share them here just yet. I don't want to ruin TheCommandTent's experience during our group's next VTT session.
History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on May 11, 2024, 08:12:05 AM »
0.   Saint Gangulphus of Burgundy, Patron of Unhappily Married Husbands.  (A possible patron of ACDs.)

1678         French Admiral Jean d'Estrées' fleet wrecked off Curaçao, 30 ships lost, hundreds drown

1809. Cptn. Thomas Cochrane leads fireship raid on the French fleet in the Aix roads/Basque roads.  A smashing success over a French fleet, one highlight was the tiny sloop, Beagle, anchoring astern of a grounded ship of the line.  She spent the rest of the day raking the behemoth with her tiny 4lbrs.

1849         Lts W. S. Hancock & Henry Heth play cards with Maj Gen Winfield Scott, and tactfully lose

1862  CSS Virginia is destroyed by Confederates off Craney Island to prevent capture.

1864         Skirmish at Yellow Tavern: J.E.B. Stuart mortally wounded

1870. Upon the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War, 26-year old Friedrich Nietzsche attempted to volunteer to fight, only to discover that, having taken Swiss citizenship in order to accept a professorship in classical philology at the University of Basel, he was not eligible, and so joined the military nursing service.

1881         Attempted assassination of Russian Crown Prince Nicholas (II), in Otsu, Japan, by a Japanese police officer; a bloody shirt from the incident preserved in the Hermitage will later provide DNA used to identify the late Tsar's remains

1943         RMS 'Queen Mary' arrives at New York with Winston Churchill and the British Chiefs of Staff, en route to Washington, as well as 5,000 Afrika Korps veterans bound for P/W camps, and the 300 troops guarding them
     the Attu Operation, Task Force 16, commanded by Rear Adm. Thomas C. Kinkaid, landed a force of 3,000 US Army troops of the 7th Division in the cold and the mist of the Aleutians.  Intended to engage the Afrika Korps, the 7th had been meticulously trained for desert operations.