Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The 2024 ACDC ––– 12-14 January 2024  (Read 2206 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: November 08, 2023, 05:34:44 PM
The 2024 ACDC is our next major event   :bigthumb:

We're starting the hardcore planning on this one now, so if you'd like to pitch in, we're happy to have the help!

–– GMs to run events
–– Seminar speakers w/ history/military topics
–– Volunteers to help wrangle participants and promotions

TTE site should go up within a week, and we'll start bigger details soonly  :party:

https://wp.me/Pae4WL-3qw

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 09:35:29 PM
#ACDC2024 registration is now open

https://tabletop.events/conventions/the-acdc-january-2024/

We are still adding some more events, but didn't want to wait for the rest of the GM confirmations to come thru

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 05:42:59 PM
Hey folks, we've got a bunch of new games that designers are wanting to demo and show off this year. This is a great chance to take a plunge on something you've never checked out before and help give these guys some feedback on their designs

The Code Atlas folks have two sessions, and Keith from LNLP has a new design he will be showing off also

We also have two sessions of the Nations & Cannons RPG, which is set during the American revolution, so you get a chance to do some more historically focused RPG'ing if you're interested

Haz will have a couple of TTS minis games, and there's a late night session for learning about GCACW too

Finally, the Robotech event looks pretty long but that's because it's set up as a tournament and we're hoping to get enough folks in there to get multiple games for everyone during the seasion

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 11:04:16 AM
The event listing (so far)

Note that if it says "YouTube" for platform, it'll be streamed through an unlisted link only available to the participants in the convention, but made public afterwards

GMs are encouraged to stream their games, but not required to do so

Wargame Bootcamp - Learn to Use Discord, VASSAL, TTS for up to 12 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1200 and running for 180 minutes, on Discord, VASSAL, TTS

People Power for up to 3 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1600 and running for 180 minutes, on VASSAL

Seljuk: Byzantium Besieged, 1068-1071 for up to 2 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1700 and running for 120 minutes, on VASSAL

Goose Green by MMP for up to 6 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1800 and running for 240 minutes, on VASSAL

Squadron Strike: Newton's Cradle for up to 3 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1900 and running for 180 minutes, on ASCBI.net

Night Witches Demo for up to 10 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1900 and running for 60 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Valour and Fortitude 2nd edition for up to 2 participants, at  FRI (12th) 1900 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Welcome Happy Hour for up to 500 participants, at  FRI (12th) 2000 and running for 120 minutes, on YouTube

Saturday Morning Wargaming Wakeup! for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 0800 and running for 90 minutes, on Discord

World at War '85 - Blood & Fury for up to 4 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1000 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Robotech: Reconstruction - Tournament - for up to 12 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1100 and running for 360 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

200 years of modern wargaming: Kriegsspiel now and then for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1100 and running for 60 minutes, on YouTube

Nations & Cannons: Battle of Sullivan's Island for up to 6 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1200 and running for 240 minutes, on Roll20

Code: ATLAS for up to 5 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1200 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

People Power for up to 3 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1200 and running for 180 minutes, on VASSAL

The Battle of Gazala for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1200 and running for 60 minutes, on YouTube

Iron, Blood, Snow & Mud - demo for up to 2 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1300 and running for 120 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Order & Opportunity: Making of the Post-Cold War World Order for up to 12 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1400 and running for 90 minutes, on Discord

Postcards of War for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1400 and running for 120 minutes, on YouTube

Raid on Aurich demo by Mark Walker for up to 4 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1400 and running for 60 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Squadron Strike: Klingons Off The Starboard Bow! for up to 4 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1600 and running for 240 minutes, on ASCBI.net

Demo of Raider Drop Zone: The Invasion of Planet Kraken for up to 6 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1700 and running for 60 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

The 2024 ACDC Keynote for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1700 and running for 120 minutes, on YouTube

OCS Bootcamp for up to 4 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1900 and running for 240 minutes, on VASSAL

Volko Ruhnke's New Game for up to 100 participants, at  SAT (13th) 1900 and running for 120 minutes, on YouTube

Learn to Play the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War for up to 12 participants, at  SAT (13th) 2100 and running for 90 minutes, on VASSAL

Sunday Morning Wargaming Wakeup! for up to 100 participants, at  SUN (14th) 0800 and running for 90 minutes, on Discord

Blucher (Napoleonic minis) for up to 2 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1000 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Escape From Colditz for up to 6 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1000 and running for 180 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Nations & Cannons: Occupied New York for up to 6 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1200 and running for 240 minutes, on Roll20

Code: ATLAS for up to 5 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1200 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

The Battle of Inchon for up to 100 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1200 and running for 60 minutes, on YouTube

Kriegsspiel (200th Anniversary!) for up to 6 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1200 and running for 240 minutes, on Tabletop Simulator

Squadron Strike: Romance of the Seven Realms for up to 3 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1400 and running for 180 minutes, on ASCBI.net

Gaming the American War for Independence for up to 100 participants, at  SUN (14th) 1400 and running for 120 minutes, on YouTube

(edited to fix the Kriegsspiel date)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:31:19 AM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:44:00 AM
A few more events added. Not going to re-edit the above. Go hit the reg site to see 😎

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 11:30:24 AM
Hey folks, we've got a bunch of new games that designers are wanting to demo and show off this year. This is a great chance to take a plunge on something you've never checked out before and help give these guys some feedback on their designs

The Code Atlas folks have two sessions, and Keith from LNLP has a new design he will be showing off also

We also have two sessions of the Nations & Cannons RPG, which is set during the American revolution, so you get a chance to do some more historically focused RPG'ing if you're interested

Haz will have a couple of TTS minis games, and there's a late night session for learning about GCACW too

Finally, the Robotech event looks pretty long but that's because it's set up as a tournament and we're hoping to get enough folks in there to get multiple games for everyone during the seasion
I've read up on registering. I'm not sure I realised what I needed to do...but anyhoo...I just can't commit to a time slot.

I was going to catch what interested me on YT if/when it becomes available.

Kudos for organising all this  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:43:15 AM by JudgeDredd »

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 12:14:24 PM
I've read up on registering. I'm not sure I realised what I needed to do...but anyhoo...I just can't commit to a time slot.

You register for the event just like any real-world event.  Instead of gathering in a hotel or convention center or local pub or whatever, we all meet on the same Discord server that is set up specifically for this event.
There's a "lobby" area where everyone hangs out, and there are "rooms" for each of the GMs with a "table" for the event.

Each of those "tables" has a text channel where they can share files, links, info, for their game, and a voice channel that you'll use when it's time to play

The games themselves are mostly on VASSAL or Tabletop Simulator, with a few exceptions.
It is the player's responsibility to ensure they can log in correctly to the right platform with the game they need.
(For TTS, this usually means that you can launch TTS and the GM will invite you into a game they already have set up)

For the seminars, most of them are on YouTube, but the links are not public, so you can't attend live unless you're a part of the convention.  After the con, we make them public so others can see what happened after the fact.

Some things are done entirely in the Discord.  The Wakeup sessions are just social/BS sessions for people to chat.
The Kriegsspiel is played entirely in the Discord where each player has their own channel to see what they're doing, but can't see anyone else.

That help?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 03:48:41 PM
Mmm.... you wouldn't think I work in IT would you  :-[

I mean I would sign up for the MMP Goose Green...but like I said, I'm not sure I could make it. It's at 11pm and also for 4 hours.

But even the Blackhorse game which is on at a decent time for me...I don't think I have a 4 hour block.

I think I'm going to have to wait and watch them on YT...if that's a thing?

I've just realised they are THIS weekend too and I'm taking my daughter back to her accommodation this weekend  :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 03:50:49 PM by JudgeDredd »

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 05:14:37 PM
Not every game will be streamed. That is up to the individual GMs whether or not they do so

All of the seminars will be, and you can watch those after the fact without registering for the convention

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 02:10:43 AM
Ok - thanks Brant.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 12:11:29 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 01:56:36 PM
The 2024 ACDC Livestream Archive
With the completion of the 2024 ACDC, we’re now making the livestreams available to the public.  As always, live participation and interaction with the shows was limited to the attendees of the convention, but we’re always happy to share the streamed events after the fact.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/events/cons/2024acdc-live/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 07:56:14 AM
The 2024 ACDC After Action Review
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/events/cons/acdc2024-aar/

This was our 5th ACDC and 6th overall digital wargame convention.

As usual, our virtual conventions include plenty of game sessions, plus talk shows with designers & other luminaries, happy hours with our team, and seminars & panels with historians and creators.  We will always adjust the game offerings some, and they remain the focus.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~