Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Recent Posts

Intel Dump / Re: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 12, 2024, 09:44:53 AM »
Mentioned in Dispatches Season 12 Ep 10 ~ Commercial Wargames for the Pros
In preparation for Connections Online next week, we’re joined by a pair of wargame practitioners: Kevin Williamson, and Mitch Reed, both up in the DC area.
Mitch is well-known to the hobby world as the lead sled-dog of the No Dice No Glory team, but he’s also on his third different professional wargaming gig, after an extended military career.  Kevin’s hobby background is more digital than tabletop, but it’s serving him well in his current wargames-in-military-education role.

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/s12e11/
Intel Dump / Re: Wargame Design Studio News Thread + Latest Sale Titles
« Last post by rahamy on April 12, 2024, 09:37:23 AM »
2024 Quarter One Review & News

New post up with all sorts of good information packed in. Not only reviewing what has happened, but new information as well!

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/2024-quarter-one-update
The Modern World / Re: Headquarters WWII from Slitherine Games
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 12, 2024, 09:08:16 AM »
Watch Peter and Jan go head-to-head here

History and Tall Tales / Re: This Day in History
« Last post by besilarius on April 12, 2024, 08:37:27 AM »
1512      Died,   Gaston, Vicompte de Foix, Pretender to the throne of Navarra (22), plus most of his regimental commanders, and about 4,500 of his Franco-German-Italian troops, as well as all opposing Spanish regimental commanders and about 9,000 Spanish-Italian troops, killed in action at Ravenna

1568. military reformer of no mean abilities, Swedish King Eric XIV (1560-1568), proved an unsuccessful commander in the field, due primarily to his unwillingness to engage in battle with generals of lesser rank.

1612         Edward Wightman, c. 32, Anabaptist preacher, having the dubious honor of being the last person burned at the state for blasphemy in England

1809. Cptn. Thomas Cochrane leads fireship raid on the French fleet in the Aix roads

1814         the Treaty of Fontainebleau ended the War of the Sixth Coalition, forcing Napoleon to renounce the throne of France

1842, during the First Anglo-Chinese (Opium) War (1839-1842), the Royal Navy used steamers to tow two wooden-hulled sail ships-of-the-line 200 miles up the Yangtse to lend their firepower to an attack on Nanking, after which, on August 29th, a peace treaty was signed ending hostilities aboard the 74-gun HMS Cornwall.

1856. Although the fall of Sebastopol to the British and French in September of 1855 is generally regarded as the decisive action of the Crimean War (1853-1856), the Russian government was equally concerned with the fact that, although they had successfully beat off an Anglo-French naval assault on Helsinki, the Allies were preparing for a major effort against Kronstadt, which would have directly threatened St. Petersburg.

1935  The Stresa Conference: Britain, France, & Italy confer on what to do about Hitler, but when Mussolini calls for forceful action, his proposal is rejected

1944  Marlene Dietrich's USO show premiers in the Algiers Opera House, first of a series of performances that numbered as many as three a day, almost every day, until shortly after the end of the war.
Pre-Gunpowder / Re: HISPANIA wargame on Gamefound
« Last post by bayonetbrant on April 12, 2024, 07:39:26 AM »
aaaaaaand, we've got an interview with the designer coming soon, too!
Pre-Gunpowder / Re: HISPANIA wargame on Gamefound
« Last post by DracoIdeas on April 12, 2024, 03:33:38 AM »
Happy Friday!
We already have everything prepared for the campaign of the HISPANIA game, where we hope to unlock all the Stretch Goals that are planned: twice the size of the board, metal coins, variants and game scenarios with wooden characters...
The date is Tuesday, April 16 at 5:00 p.m. (CET)
If you can share it, Rome will be eternally grateful :)
https://gamefound.com/en/projects/draco-ideas/hispania

Share on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DracoIdeasEN/status/1745101801920090238
And on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DracoIdeasEnglish/posts/pfbid0zgB3ciL12QxZ3YAkLna4chXUkWnxnbtkE6Ldm6iLuDBDBe3RYCyyLg95GPzvZ2kfl

Thank you so much!

That's the same weekend as ASLOK.

I'm not sure that affects us much one way or the other, but our decision here was driven by State Fair weekends than by ASLOK scheduling

And for me, we have a large event at work around that time, and two of my grandkids have birthdays in October.
Eesh.  Sounds busy!

Since we are thinking of moving to the RDU area, I will likely come done sometime this year, but probably not that weekend.
Definitely let me know!  Happy to get together for a beer or some munchies.
4X Gaming / Re: Imperial Ambitions
« Last post by Gusington on April 11, 2024, 09:46:39 PM »
Downloaded the demo, but haven't futzed with it much yet. It potentially has everything I need, a desert island game.
That's the same weekend as ASLOK.

And for me, we have a large event at work around that time, and two of my grandkids have birthdays in October. 

Since we are thinking of moving to the RDU area, I will likely come done sometime this year, but probably not that weekend.
Intel Dump / Re: Whats on Your Table?
« Last post by bob48 on April 11, 2024, 05:32:30 PM »
I'm still very much enjoying LHY at the moment.