Insurgent Catan? 7 Wonders meets Game of Thrones? Aftershocks aplenty? And how is the game industry today like rock & roll in Almost Famous?
Podcast rookie Ian (Rocky Mountain Navy) joins Brant & Jim to talk about some of the intellectual property issues in wargaming (and broader tabletop gaming), inspired by the recent events with some military officers filing for a patent on a game that looks a lot like Catan.
So yes, we cover all of the above, and a few others, and here are the links to prove it!
- The original article about “Insurgent Uprising”
- Twitter threads talking about the game from Tom Russell and Tabletop Lawyer
- Tabletop Lawyer’s analysis of the IP issues
- Paxsims discussion of patenting a tabletop game
- Michael Peck’s article about GEMSTONE and others
- Original Wayback Machine link was here, but’s now been excluded from web.archive.org by the publisher
- Here’s a useable link to read the article
And here’s the link to our guest Ian’s very active Twitter feed, as well as his blog.
If you get a chance, please go hit the iTunes page for our podcast and give us a rating – whatever you think is fair! We need some more reviews before iTunes will start recommending us in their podcast engine, so every rating helps!
We appreciate you checking out Mentioned in Dispatches! Please leave us some feedback either in the comment area below, or in our discussion forum. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube…
One thought on “Mentioned in Dispatches, S4E8 – Game Ripoffs!”
C’mon… all that talent and ingenuity out there, and they just do a cover version of Catan? To train SOF? I’m surprised at you NPS….