Recent Posts

Arts & Crafts / Re: I did a thing! (That's fairly rare.)
« Last post by mcguire on Today at 04:23:55 PM »
very cool!

I was just about to post the same thing.  Very cool.

Thanks! I am pretty happy with how everything came out. I need to do some more experimentation with the printer like different resin. And probably get some more replacement stuff for it.  :P
« Last post by mcguire on Today at 04:19:01 PM »
The boats are much simpler, and I would probably have put another model on each base because they look a little bare to me. And the bases aren't rectangular because printer. No, I didn't manage to capture it in the picture, but there is a gap between the trireme's mast and the sail itself. Try that with metal minis.

The ships are intended for Manly's He Hemetera Thalassa, Mare Nostrum fleet rules.
« Last post by W8taminute on Today at 04:18:18 PM »
I was just about to post the same thing.  Very cool.
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Today at 04:17:51 PM »
very cool!
4X Gaming / Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns now available on GOG!
« Last post by W8taminute on Today at 04:16:13 PM »
I really love this game, even if the ai is questionable.  Nothing else merges space and ground battles in a TBS quite like this one. 

The only one negative I have for EotFS is they had to make it such that factions take turns ruling galactic councils and the inquisitors randomly kill your science institutes.  Really bums me out and thus I don't play the game as often as I theoretically should.
« Last post by mcguire on Today at 04:13:59 PM »
Overall, I was really impressed with the SJG models and the printing, the fact that printers hate me aside. Very detailed and very attractive. If I had artistic talent, I might want to scale them up to 56mm or something.

On the other hand, the resin is stupidly brittle. I've glued the skeleton with the spear back together twice, and the one-armed one had two arms and a second sword but I, uh, dropped him while I was putting him in the UV cure and couldn't find the pieces.

4X Gaming / Re: Galactic Ruler
« Last post by W8taminute on Today at 04:10:52 PM »
Based on my research and the absolute lack of "Let's Plays" within the past week I'm staying away from this game.  Even if it drops to 2 dollars I won't buy it. 

There are a lot of really intriguing options coming down the pike for space games.  Will hold out for them.

Peace
« Last post by mcguire on Today at 04:08:33 PM »
Yes, the hex bases they come with are messed up. Printers suck.

Here are the semi-finished minis as I painted them. (I still need to color the edges of the bases, Jim.) I like my skeletons fresh-out-of-the-dirt, but I keep forgetting how much darker they get after the wash. The darkish splotches on the octopus are supposed to be a deep blue.   :-\  :'(

The boaties are somewhat likewise. Yes, I have no artistic talent.

Arts & Crafts / I did a thing! (That's fairly rare.)
« Last post by mcguire on Today at 04:03:26 PM »
For a significantly belated birthday present for myself, I got an AnyCubic Photon Mono 4K resin 3d printer! And then I pretty much destroyed the resin vat that came with it and poured resin pretty much all through it and had to order some new bits and screen protectors and stuff. Printers hate me.  I hate them, too. It's a thing.

Anyway, after a certain amount of agony, I printed some minis! The 28mm skeletons and octopus are from Steve Jackson Games' Fantasy Trip bundle that they had on kickstarter recently; the 1/2400 trireme and penteconters are from David Manly on Wargame Vault.

This is them unpainted, with a cat toy for scale.
Conventions, Clubs, and Events / Re: GenCon 2022
« Last post by Martok on Today at 03:43:52 PM »
Sweet.  :2thumbs: 

Part of me thinks I'd still like to attend someday.  I don't know how well I'd deal with the crowds, though; relatively smaller cons like Origins seem to be more my thing.