Every week, #TuesdayNewsday gives you a tour thru the headlines in the strategy gaming world >>>
This Week’s Headline:
Newly Released This Week:
- Compass Games are now shipping The Korean War: June 1950 – May 1951, Designer Signature Edition by Joe Balkoski
- Ares Games has their Sails of Glory starter box back in stock.
- Confirmed that MMP are shipping Hood Strikes North preorders to everyone but Ardwulf.
- Nuts! Publishing is now selling the French-language versions of David Thompson & Trever Benjamin’s Undaunted: Normandy game
- To go with all the other goofy dice bags they’ve released lately, SJG has added Munchkin Kittens and no that’s not a typo.
- There’s a new add-on for Combat Mission Red Thunder, as Battlefront have released the Fire and Rubble module.
- High Flying Dice Games have released Hot Sand, Cold Steel about the 1967 battle of Abu Ageila.
On Sale This Week:
- Paradox has a bunch of space games on sale at 20%-50% off, including Planetfall and some expansions, Stellaris DLCs, Battletech expansions, and Surviving Mars DLCs
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale this week is going back to the early 90s, with S&T #140, containing Objective: Tunis, for $15.
Newly Launched This Week:
- ATO Magazine is currently kickstarting their Beyond Waterloo 2: Revised and Expanded Reprint
- OSG has Bonaparte in the Quadrilateral on pre-order and if that title doesn’t make you salivate then you probably failed geometry in 9th grade.
- Be a Dwarven Warrior trying in the Norse-inspired Storm Weavers and yes, Mike, it’s a solo game.
- Pretentious Games for Villains and Bastards is a collections of tabletop RPGs and scenarios for all sorts of one-shot play.
- War and Aether is a first product from an admitted novice designer, but has some nice old-school feel to it.
- One Card Wonder tries to take the realm-builder aesthetic into a quick multi-player environment similar to 7 Wonders but with fewer cards and more cubes.
- OK, it was last week, but still, Lombardy Studios has a nifty Waterloo book on Kickstarter right now.
- Probably isn’t ‘new’ but likely ‘new to you’ – TKC has Balkan Fury II on pre-order, for the price of a small car.
- MMP has the 3rd edition of Hollow Legions on preorder right now.
This Week from the Dragoons:
- First impressions of Warhammer 40K Battlesector.
- Saturday Night Fights is still rolling on Project: Quatre Bras, with the continuation of the Shako 2 game.
- My Own Worst Enemy took the week off.
- Reminder that the podcast is on hiatus until the Fall, but we’re kicking around some possible live shows over the summer.
News From The Wargame Industry:
- Decision Games are looking for a full-time editor, in the Bakersfield, CA office. Yes, it’s Bakersfield. No, we can’t help you with that part of it. At least it’s not Fresno!
- Thin Red Line Games are showing off the draft counter art for their upcoming Sacred Oil game.
- Matrix Games has a new update for Shadow Empire.
Something From Our Partners:
- Moe opens up an old copy of Tactics II and geeks out over his childhood.
- Ardwulf unloaded on some customer service fiascos and what wargame companies can do better. He also made it a point to highlight the Kilroy Was Here YouTube channel, too. Oh, and go wish him a birthday on Wednesday as he rolls over a half-century.
- Solosaurus is napping this week.
- RMN dug into the background behind the Wing Leader series and did some reading on aircraft engines.
The Professional Wargaming World:
- Connections US wants to know what you want to see in a Game Lab discussion this summer.
- The Modern War Institute has a nice article on wargaming “the new great game”
- This week, GUWS has Critical Theory and Game-Design: Mapping Meaning-Filled Spaces and next week, they’ve got Analytical Approaches to National Security Gaming by Dstl
- PaxSims did a quick tour through recent games/sims publications in professional & academic space.
This Week on Six Degrees of Radio:
A look at some great music from the past 60–odd years, with stories about the different songs.
This week is Flute Week at Six Degrees of Radio
- Flute Week: Moments With You by Gran Torino
- Flute Week: I Want More by Tedeschi Trucks Band
- Did Ye Get Healed by Van Morrison
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.