Every week, #TuesdayNewsday takes a whirlwind spin around the headlines in wargaming and the strategy gaming world >>>
This Week’s Headline:
Most of North America is blanketed under extreme record-setting cold, and we’re all just hoping Moe doesn’t have to start burning wargames to keep warm.
In the meantime, Armchair Dragoons are looking to expand our content writing team, so if you think you have what it takes, pop into our forums and send a message to either BayonetBrant or Bob48 or BBMike about what it takes to be an ACD writer.
Along similar lines, given what we’ve seen around the web with entire websites losing their article archives, or simply facing basic technology challenges in keeping them viable, we’re offering the opportunity for writers to have their older articles republished as a part of our “Classic Reviews” series we run on #TBTs. There’s no shortage of 20- and 30- and 40-year-old wargames still hitting the tables, so there’s no shortage of people also wanting to read about them, too. If you’ve got any classic reviews you’ve written that you’d like to see us republish use the same contact info above.
- Compass Games will be shipping Paper Wars #96 by the end of this week
- Legion Wargames is shipping their game about the Battle of Hanau
- MMP has their electronic ASL rulebook available on Wargame Vault
- High Flying Dice Games seems to release new stuff in batches. This week, they rolled out
- SJG released Puppy Dice. Yep, Puppy Dice.
- S&T #327 is out now, with a bunch of content about Russia and a potential war with the Baltic States.
News From The Wargame Industry:
- Dark City Games has a B2G1 sale going right now. Use code WINTER21 at checkout.
- Noble Knight Games has about 16,000 items on clearance right now and no that’s not a typo.
- There’s a fun little article about a battle that was Finnish before it ever started.
- S&M will be announcing some new 2021 plans in a livestream on Tuesday, including the new Combat Mission: Cold War
- White Dog Games wants some playtesters for their Antietam game
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale this week is Modern War #34, with Opaque War: Ukraine 2014
- Rob Zacny asks why developers have revived the controversial Six Days in Fallujah videogame
- Decision Games is looking for feedback from readers about their magazines
Newly Launched This Week:
- It just went up on Kickstarter more as a preorder mechanism than as a funding tool, but The Doomsday Project: Episode 1 The Battle for Germany is out there for you to pre-order.
- The Boxer Rebellion is the latest Kickstarter project from Worthington Games, under their “Old School” moniker
- We bitch plenty about all the .stl files on Kickstarter, but this week there’s a pretty cool Celtic dice tower looking for some backing for their plans
- This week, we ask “Five Questions” of David Thompson
- Saturday Night Fights tackled Quatre Bras with the Volley & Bayonet rules. Jim also discussed the first battle of Project Quatre Bras
- My Own Worst Enemy started up VUCA Sims’ The Great Crisis of Frederick II. More discussion of VUCA Sims is imminent, too!
- Part 2 of the playthru of The White Tribe is up
- Mentioned in Dispatches talked DICE!
Something From Our Partners:
- Moe took a look at the new LNLP/War Diary release Bougainville
- Ardwulf’s Monday counter clipping stream was supposed to be about ‘organizing wargames’ and quickly pivoted into a discussion of fantasy sci-fi media licenses / books / adaptations
- RMN dove into a book about crunching the numbers of warfare
The Professional Wargaming World:
- Roger Mason’s article about “Commercial Wargames & Experiential Learning” made the rounds thru the practitioner ranks this past week
- Using Harpoon 5 to explore the initial stages of the Falklands campaign? Sure!
- How might robot tanks be used in battle? A RAND wargame looked into it.
- There’s 10,000 JLTV’s out there. Anyone ever stat’ed one out for a wargame?
- MORS is offering a certificate in Cyber Wargaming
- Want to learn how VASSAL works? Want to learn from Volko Ruhnke? GUWS has your hookup.
- Connections North is this week. Good seats are still available!
This Week on Six Degrees of Radio:
A look at some great music from the past 40-odd years, with stories about the different songs.
- Metal Monday: Friday Night (Going Down in Flames) by The Damned Things
- Whiplash by Electric Angels
- Down by Rick Springfield
- Your Savior by Temple of the Dog
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.