The Armchair Dragoons brings you #TuesdayNewsday to read up on this week’s strategy gaming headlines
is one of our usual sections from below –
HOLY CRAP! HIDE YOUR WALLETS! MORTGAGE THE HOUSE! MORTGAGE THE NEIGHBOR’S HOUSE! SELL A KIDNEY! SELL THE NEIGHBOR’S KIDNEY!
- Osprey Games has most of their board games, including the Undaunted series, on sale for another week
- Most of Ventonuovo’s store is 40% off
- Worthington’s got most of the store at 20% off
- Revolution Games’ sale is still going through the end of the month
- Sort Noble Knight’s wargame category by price, low-to-high, and pretty much all the sale stuff bubbles to the top
- Easy Roller Dice Company is selling pretty much everything at 33% off with coupon code BLK33 at checkout
- You have to wait until Friday, but Free League will be slashing almost half their store at 50% off
- Avalanche Press is giving you Red God of War for free with any order; use coupon code TRISHA at checkout
- RBM Studios (the C3i Magazine guys) have all their deluxe edition games at 20% off (no code) and everything else is 30% with coupon code FOX at checkout
- Black Oak Workshop has most of their dice & bags at 33% off and pins at 16% off1 and you get a free unicorn d6 with each order until they run out of them
- Strategemata has a Napoleonic bundle of 5 games at 30% off through the end of the year
- Ares Games’ sale through 4 December has a bunch of well-regarded games like This War of Mine and 300: Air & Water all at 30% off or more
- CSL has most of their games on sale at $10 off2 MSRP
- Dark City Games is doing buy-3-get-1-free this week
- Alternative Armies has a Pucci horde on sale, and every order thru January gets a free Flower of Evil mini
- Draco Ideas Black Friday sale has a bunch of bundle packs, most of them 50-70% off; of note, there’s a War Storm Series set, and a “Tactical Pack” that includes Frontier Wars
- GOG has Soldiers: Heroes of World War II on sale for under $1
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale this week is S&T #388 with Russian Boots South: Conquest of Central Asia
Of course, there’s also the always-signficant Hollandays Sale
📆 SAVE THE DATE ‼️
Start planning now for the 2024 Armchair Dragoons Digital Convention (#The2024ACDC) 12-14 January, all online . . . We’ll open event submissions and registration within the next few weeks, so stay tuned for details!
Games released in the past week that you’ll want to check out
- Wargame Design Studio released their new Thirty Years War game and we’ll have more coverage of this one coming soon
- VUCA Sims’ Red Strike is starting to show up in mailboxes!
- Strategy & Tactics Quarterly #24 – The Chinese Civil War, 1945–59 is now shipping
- They’re also shipping Strategy & Tactics #344, with The Great Turkish War: 1683–1699
- Steve Jackson Games has had their Pride line for a while, but just recently collected it all into a single page on their store
- LNLP released a new Heroes of the Bitter Harvest companion book, for VASSAL/TTS players
- The Raising Hell expansion for Starship Troopers: Terran Command is now available on Steam
- Blue Panther has released a pair of scenario packs for Dawn of Battle
- Matrix Games released Strategic Command: World War I – Empires in Turmoil
- Warlord Games has some new Black Powder minis sets with individual character troops to give your formations a little more variety; you can get the box sets, or buy the guys individually
Crowdfunding, p500, pledge programs, whatevs yo! ~ if you can order it now & get it later, here it is
- Gamelyn Games are reprinting their BIG Heroes of Land, Air & Sea game, with some crazy crowdfunded bundles available over on Gamefound
- Osprey are taking pre-orders on Heirs to Heresy: Faith & Fear, would be an awesome expansion for Heirs to Heresy except you can’t find the original damned base game book anywhere 🤬
- Fred Serval’s A Very Civil Whist is on pre-order through Phalanx Games
- Last Shot is a hex-&-minis pop-culture looking game, but might have some fun to it with configurable tanks, missile ranks, and more; it’s got a long hill to climb to make it’s Kickstarter funding goal, but give it a look
- Death and Tactics is a grid-map indie computer game that also has a high hill to climb for it’s funding goal, but looks interesting enough for folks to go take a look
- Saturday Night Fights ~ The Battle of Leipzig (VI) for “Blucher”
- Mentioned in Dispatches Season 11 Ep 9 ~ The Annual Compass Catalog Cavalcade of Whimsy
- Hapsburg Eclipse AAR
- Gameplay this week
- This week in our forums
- Upcoming Dragoons Events (and don’t forget to check the event calendar for everything else)
- 25 November Battleground (Stockton-on-Tees UK)
- 12-14 January 2024 The ACDC (Online)
- 12-14 January 2024 Winter Offensive (Baltimore MD)
Yes, we need to start adding more 2024 events to our calendar
Our fellow content creators from the wargaming world
- Rocky takes a look at his latest books from the US Naval Institute
- Moe’s going live tonight with an episode of Whiskey Charlie
- Peter’s got an interview with Carol Fung, designer of Goose Green
- Ardwulf’s counter clipping stream was canceled
We are totally ordering this shirt for our guy @Ardwulf
— The Armchair Dragoons (@ADragoons) November 20, 2023
Various news & notes from the business end of the gaming world
- Similar to our behind-the-scenes discussion of crowdfunding on Mentioned in Dispatches, BoardGameWire has a discussion about running crowdfunding projects with Ryan Dancey, longtime game-biz veteran and head of AEG
- Ravensburger had to stop sales of their next Disney Lorcana expansion when they were hit with a DDOS attack
- Collins Epic has a big new scenario for Polyversal but also released some accompanying fiction with it, for free
- The Team Yankee minis folks have an interesting article comparing NATO’s main battle tanks
- Columbia Games has a new PDF catalog that you can download
Hey, we’d LOVE to have some more action in the dedicated area of our forums for the wargame practitioners.
- The Typhoon is a new launch platform for US missiles from SM-6 to Tomahawks to the upcoming long-range-hypersonic programs; time to update your Littoral Commander sets
- Game-fying the war in Ukraine, as done by the Ukrainians
- The last GUWS webinar of the year is 12 December (The Tyranny of Binaries: how wargame rules build narratives)
- PaxSims talks about wargaming to explore naval concepts
- We love it when other people are sharing things from our Connections Online archives
— Georgetown University Wargaming Society (GUWS) (@GUWargaming) November 20, 2023
Something neat from outside the wargaming world we thought was worth sharing
Yes, this has been in the news some lately. It’s still ridiculous . . .
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
Thank you for visiting The Armchair Dragoons and mounting up with the Regiment of Strategy Gaming.
You can find our regiment’s social media on Mastodon, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and even Threads, if we could ever get an auto-post to it.
(We have an Instagram page and it’s really just a placeholder & redirect to our articles.)
You can support The Armchair Dragoons through our Patreon, also, and find us at a variety of conventions and other events.
Feel free to talk back to us either in our discussion forum, or in the comments below.
In a world of wargaming so grand,
Tuesdays, news spreads ‘cross the land,
Updates each week,
For battles we seek,
On the tabletops, forces will stand!