Yep, it’s #TuesdayNewsday and here’s what you should care about in wargaming this week >>>
This Week’s Headline:
Everyone’s putting stuff on sale. Seriously. Worthington, Hollandspiele, Revolution, Avalanche, and plenty of others. MMP just wrapped theirs last week. Even Target is getting into it.
Newly Released This Week:
- Maybe not this week, but recently at least, TSWargames has their new Bismarck game, and yes, Cyrano, it can be played with 2 people….
- Field Notes notebooks are pretty popular in certain circles. Earlier this summer, they released a 5e character journal for role-players. Now, they’ve released a GM journal, too. You can get them in 2-packs of each, or a multipack with 4 character journals, 2 GM journals, 2 blank notebooks, and a bunch of pencils + free shipping.
News From The Wargame Industry:
- Got a budding role-player out there that could use something to help get them started? Target’s Black Friday sale – that’s running all week – has the D&D Essentials kit under $8 right now. Yes, that’s right. Couple of books, maps, dice, DM screen, and a bunch of cards in a tuck box for spelt, characters, etc. Plus, the Essentials box includes the rules for ‘sidekicks’ so you can play with just 2 people (DM/player) and still have enough characters to go on the adventure. And $8. Seriously, just $8.
- Worthington has bundled a bunch of their games for some serious end-of-year blowouts. You can get 2 boxes in the Band of Brothers series (Ghost Panzer and Texas Arrows) for $49 total. Yes, total. The Holdfast bundle – Korea, Atlantic, Pacific, and Tunisia – is going for $100 total.
- S&T’s deal of the week (thru 11/29) is half off the game edition of S&T 317, with Moscow 1941 in it.
- Hollandspiele has started their Hollan-days sale, too
Newly Launched This Week:
- It’s not exactly a wargame, but Academy has their new game Reality Shift on Kickstarter.
- The Wargaming Company still has To Assure My Dynasty about the 1808 campaign in Iberia on pre-order pricing.
- Compass Games has an Indian Ocean combined-arms wargame for you. If you liked South China Sea you’ll probably dig this one.
New from the Dragoons:
- Mentioned in Dispatches talks about role-playing games.
- Guest Barry Setser gave us some analysis of Compass Games’ Brotherhood & Unity
- Saturday Night Fights is into day 2 / 6th iteration of the Battle of Leipzig
- My Own Worst Enemy digs into Blitz! A World in Conflict.
- #UnboxingDay in November was busy: D-Day at Omaha Beach, Hedgemony, Phantom Division, Close Action, Iron Curtain, Next War: Vietnam, By Stealth & Sea, D-Day Quad, The White Tribe, and All Bridges Burning
Something From Our Partners:
- Moe doesn’t do RPGs very often, so when does, it’s probably cool. Here he looks at one of the modules for the new Free League Alien RPG.
- Ardwulf was on the road for a bit, so here’s an older video for an upcoming game: Admirals’ War from Canvas Temple Publishing.
- Dan talks to John Butterfield.
- RMN has a really nifty article on relative complexity in different kinds of games, focused on wargaming, of course.
The Professional Wargaming World:
- Much of the professional wargaming world is getting behind the new Zenobia Award, for wargame design from under-represented communities. Here are thoughts from No Dice No Glory, Brian Train, and Space-Biff and an extended discussion on Heavy Cardboard on YouTube with Volko and Morgane, too.
- GUWS is already booking events in January, including Mike Linick talking about RAND’s TTXs, and Peter Perla talking about wargaming history.
- PaxSims got interviewed on the Beyond Solitaire podcast
This Week on Six Degrees of Radio:
A look at some great music from the past 40-odd years, with stories about the different songs.
- Georgia by Boz Scaggs
- Young Turks by Rod Stewart
- Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show
- Looking for the Magic by Dwight Twilley
- In the Clear by Foo Fighters
- Trigger Hippy Live in Concert
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.