Every week, #TuesdayNewsday gives you a digest of what’s important in the strategy gaming world >>>
This Week’s Headline:
This Week’s Bonus Highlight:
Peter Cushing in an intense battle while playing 'Little Wars' (1957) pic.twitter.com/TDqyw5zY6W
— Hammer Horror Films (@HorrorHammer1) September 28, 2021
Newly Released This Week:
- Scope Stalingrad from Draco Ideas is starting to sneak out the door in pre-press copies. It’s a card-based game of sniper battles in WW2.
- Grand Tactician: The Civil War has exited early access, so it’s ‘officially’ released on Steam.
- Legion Wargames’ Decisive Victory 1918, Volume One – Soissons is starting to escape into the wild.
- Battlefront Minis Team Yankee line has a new Leopard 2A5 tank platoon set that’s pretty cool-looking.
- It’s a little vague whether it’s a re-release or just a new one that’s already on sale, but Compass Games has Granada: Last Stand of the Moors, 1482-1492 up on their site as the latest game out the door at about $20 off.
- GMT counter trays are back in stock. Given their popularity, they may be out of stock by the time you read this.
On Sale This Week:
- In keeping with the recent popularity of 1960s-era ‘moonshot’ themed games, Worthington has their Tranquility Base game with the Soviet expansion, on sale.
- Paradox has pretty much everything for Crusader Kings II on sale at 50% off
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale of the week has been dead for a few weeks now and may not be coming back.
Newly Launched This Week:
- Russia’s War – Barbarossa Reloaded is on preorder from Fellowship of Simulations.
- Some pretty cool undead minis for RPGs/wargaming on Kickstarter.
- GMT’s latest monthly update included 2 new p500 games
This Week With The Armchair Dragoons:
- Rocky ruffled plenty of feathers with his examination of the old TSR Hunt for Red October “wargame” and, well, chatter ensued.
- Our Origins preview, including vendor hall info, game skeds, and more
- Saturday Night Fights continued The Battle of the Sabis for “Age of Hannibal”
- We started a new weekly AAR that’s playing thru Canvas Temple’s Stalingrad Solitaire
- This week’s classic article was a look back at Columbia’s Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83
- Mentioned in Dispatches had a 100% increase in “Mike” from last week!
- We’ve got a standing Dragoons Happy Hour on our Discord server on Mondays at 5pm EDT if you want to get your week kicked off with some wargaming fun.
- Other online games with the Armchair Dragoons
- Wednesday Night Warfare was split in two, as our guys fought Operation Market-Garden using M’44, and then had to pick it up again after an EW attack.
- The Thursday Night Throwdown went back to the Chain of Command campaign.
- It’s not all in one thread, so you have to check their Twitter feed for a bunch of separate posts, but the Too Fat Lardies had a grandiose ACW minis throwdown over the weekend
News From The Wargame Industry:
- Looks like Catastrophe Games are now stocking games from THGC.
- Matrix Games has released a patch/update for GG WitE2.
- Free League had a Blade Runner RPG coming up. Key question: is it considered a “historical” RPG at this point?
- Avalanche Press takes a look at crystal meth and WW2 and yes we just wrote that sentence.
- This week on Twitter… “Holy. Crap.” (more info here)
Asmodee being sold by PAI Partners (the current VC Fund that owns them) for a reported 2 BILLION EURO.
Goldman Sachs (largest Investment bank on the planet) has been engaged to make this sale.
— Stephen M. Buonocore (@PodfatherGaming) September 23, 2021
Something From Our Partners:
- Rocky puts his knaval knowledge to use in examining some recent ROK BDA modeling and hobby wargaming.
- Ardwulf’s counter clipping stream talked about Origins!, and he also cracked into Legion Wargames’ new Soissons game
- Moe and the gang got together for a general Whiskey Charlie chat
- Solosaurus went back into hibernation
The Professional & Practitioner Wargaming World:
Don’t forget we’ve got a dedicated area of our forums for the professional wargamers.
- The impacts of wargaming at RAND in the 1950s.
- UK Fight Club has a bunch of discussion of gamification, with a pair of PDF articles.
- Confronting chaos in a cyberwar world
- This week, GUWS has Das Preußische Kriegsspiel – Prussian Wargaming (at noon EDT!) and next week, they’ve got Being a Game Designer is Not Unlike Being a Middle School Student (at 11am EDT!)
- PaxSims has a whirlwind tour thru a bunch of games & sims publications in the academic world over the past 2 months.
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.